2011 LC with 60K miles exhaust issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Loud from forward aspect of exhaust, had dealer look and guy tells me 50% chance of a catalytic converter problem as well but won't know til looks -- seems odd for 60K cat failure but wondered if anyone had an opinon

60k sounds premature to me. Are you in the rust belt that may have caused some rotting? I Also have a 2011 with 85k and no issues.

60k sounds premature to me. Are you in the rust belt that may have caused some rotting? I Also have a 2011 with 85k and no issues.

South Carolina

My commute is short but I was under impression that affects more rearward (from condensation)

A catalytic converter should definitely not fail at that mileage, but I experienced it once in an Acura Integra.

In case you weren't aware, the catalytic converter is covered under a federal warranty for 8 years or 80,000 miles. You'd probably need the associated CEL code before Toyota would replace it, but it would be free of charge.

Look under "What is the federally mandated warranty for emission controls on my car?"
Frequent Questions related to Transportation, Air Pollution, and Climate Change | US EPA

BluffCruiserDC beat me to it... The converter is covered under the federal 8 year 80k mile emissions warranty.

I ran into the same problem back in 2010 with my wife's old VW Touareg 4.2 V8..... The flex portion of the downpipe had cracked on both sides, and they are a major PITA to R&R requiring significant labor, never mind the price of the parts.... so it was a job I did not want to bother with. After some quick research, I found out that the federal emissions warranty was quite long and somewhat robust. To the dealer for warranty!

At the dealer... After the tech inspected, the service writer called and gleefully informed me of the $3500+ that this was about to cost me. While he knew I was expecting it to be a warranty repair, and the car had under 40k miles, we had owned it for 6 years, so the standard warranty was long gone. I informed him about the Fed's 8/80, murmuring ensued and he said he call back. On the call back he attempted to skirt the warranty by saying the converters were fine, and it was the flex pipes that were cracked. I told him that doesn't matter, the flex is pipe is welded to the converter as manufactured and sold as part of it. He again said he would call back. On the call back I was informed VW would cover the all of the repairs.

Mine was 6 years old with a salvage title. Warranty still applied. Took a small amount of prodding and calling Acura but wasn't too bad.

Also, don't buy a salvage title vehicle, but that's another story...

Wow this is great info - I had no clue - thanks I will let you know what happens!

A catalytic converter should definitely not fail at that mileage, but I experienced it once in an Acura Integra.

In case you weren't aware, the catalytic converter is covered under a federal warranty for 8 years or 80,000 miles. You'd probably need the associated CEL code before Toyota would replace it, but it would be free of charge.

Look under "What is the federally mandated warranty for emission controls on my car?"
Frequent Questions related to Transportation, Air Pollution, and Climate Change | US EPA

Thank you -- I was not aware of that. It'll be close as to the 8 yr mark possibly

No problems with the cats (but I was three weeks from end of the 8/80 warranty lol)

Thanks again for the advice

BluffCruiserDC beat me to it... The converter is covered under the federal 8 year 80k mile emissions warranty.

I ran into the same problem back in 2010 with my wife's old VW Touareg 4.2 V8..... The flex portion of the downpipe had cracked on both sides, and they are a major PITA to R&R requiring significant labor, never mind the price of the parts.... so it was a job I did not want to bother with. After some quick research, I found out that the federal emissions warranty was quite long and somewhat robust. To the dealer for warranty!

At the dealer... After the tech inspected, the service writer called and gleefully informed me of the $3500+ that this was about to cost me. While he knew I was expecting it to be a warranty repair, and the car had under 40k miles, we had owned it for 6 years, so the standard warranty was long gone. I informed him about the Fed's 8/80, murmuring ensued and he said he call back. On the call back he attempted to skirt the warranty by saying the converters were fine, and it was the flex pipes that were cracked. I told him that doesn't matter, the flex is pipe is welded to the converter as manufactured and sold as part of it. He again said he would call back. On the call back I was informed VW would cover the all of the repairs.

No problems with the cats (but I was three weeks from end of the 8/80 warranty lol)

Thanks again for the advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom