2005 GX470 Engine Blown HELP! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,
A week ago I purchased a 2005 GX470. Carfax was clean (I know... doesn't say much)... and was the best one that I could find in the Texas area. 147,000 miles. Spotless. Running great. Well, literally the day after I purchased the truck my engine blew. Proir to the "blow up", the car had been shaky at highway speeds when I accelerated. That went way eventually, but then a whipping and cracking sound happened and the truck lost all power. The mechanic said it was "motor assembly failure". They didn't want to risk rebuilding and suggested buying a used one. I bought the truck "as is"... but the dealer was kind enough to tow the truck back to his shop to see if repair possible on his end. Does anyone know my options here? Are rebuilds possible on this engine? Where could I find a quality used one? Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
Charlie

From the sounds of it I doubt it can be rebuilt. Piston likely let go and scored everything. Depends on the block.

I would find a rear hit total donor

From the sounds of it I doubt it can be rebuilt. Piston likely let go and scored everything. Depends on the block.

I would find a rear hit total donor

Thanks for the input. Pretty much what I figured...
Have been looking online for a reputable dealer or seller of engines. Any sites you would trust?

I would check ebay and craigslist for engines, wrecked GX470s, etc. You can probably score a full engine with wiring ready to drop in for less than $1000.

v1qcTus.png

Right now it is at the repair shop owned by the dealer you bought it from? And they are trying to sell you a new engine? I would consider taking it to a different repair shop for a second opinion but from what you describe it does sound bad. Have you checked that the engine had oil in it? Did the carfax show the timing belt was done?

Even though you bought it as-is, some states may allow a refund when this kind of thing happens so soon after the sale. I'm guessing probably not in Texas. Contact the Texas Attorney General Consumer Protection hotline and see if they have any advice.

Edit: Most importantly, what are the codes? The shop should tell you, otherwise get a code reader and go check.

Last edited:
Right now it is at the repair shop owned by the dealer you bought it from? And they are trying to sell you a new engine? I would consider taking it to a different repair shop for a second opinion but from what you describe it does sound bad. Have you checked that the engine had oil in it? Did the carfax show the timing belt was done?

Even though you bought it as-is, some states may allow a refund when this kind of thing happens so soon after the sale. I'm guessing probably not in Texas. Contact the Texas Attorney General Consumer Protection hotline and see if they have any advice.

Edit: Most importantly, what are the codes? The shop should tell you, otherwise get a code reader and go check.

I had the vehicle towed through AAA. The shop that told me "assembly failure" was independent of the dealer and recommended by AAA. When I contacted the dealer he had the vehicle towed from 1st shop to one of his own... He's being pretty helpful. (Texas doesn't have a lemon law regarding "as is" vehicles...). He actually said the car started and drove fine for his mechanic... go figure, right? He's now telling me his mechanic is saying "four bad coils"... The carfax said the timing belt was replaced at 97,234 miles.
I will get the fault codes and keep y'all posted.

Thanks a bunch for all the info. This has been a hell of a learning experience.

I would think motors could be readily available if it comes down to that. Toyota put the 2UZ-FE in the 4runner, GX, LX470, 100 series Land Cruiser, Tundra, and Sequoia.

I don't see how bad ignition coils could cause complete engine failure. Is there metal in the oil pan? Did the engine scatter its internals all over the road? Did the timing belt fail?

Just two bad coils on my 98 4Runner and it ran like crap...so 4-of-8 might be pretty bad...but total engine failure sounds strange. Not as strange as it running fine for the mechanic, though.

I hope you get out of it for the cost of 4 coil packs...if that's all it is, have them replace all 8 as the other 4 won't be far behind.

Edit: my 99 100 Series with 2 bad coil packs left me stranded on the side of the road...one of the spark plugs had come loose to boot.

I don't see how bad ignition coils could cause complete engine failure. Is there metal in the oil pan? Did the engine scatter its internals all over the road? Did the timing belt fail?
So an update: Last week I found out that it wasn't the ignition coils (which I figured as much)... he tells me first the timing best... then that a valve was bent. The guy asked me if I was "revving the hell out of the engine?"... I drive like I BBQ. Slow and Low.
Interesting thing though... before this happened I noticed a considerable shake in the steering wheel and moderate shake in the truck when accelerating from about 60 to 75 MPH. On the next drive, the shake went away... and the car broke down.
This has been one freak show after another.

Sounds like you lost a pulley.

Alright! The truck is back in my hands! Finally...
The dealer had a used engine put in it with fewer miles than what it had been. Seems to be running really well. Still having a strange shaking when doing a moderate acceleration from 60 to 70ish... comes through the steering wheel and into the cabin a bit. Cuts off when car drops a gear... any ideas on that? I've read on forums that it could be the suspension, driveshaft, maybe axle, even non-OEM rotors?

Input would be awesome. I'll post pics soon. But it's just stock white as of now.

My guess, from the symptoms you described, sound like a torque converter or cracked/loose/damaged flex plate. I would HOPE that they would have caught the flex plate during the engine R&R though. Does it only do it in top gear (4th/5th)?

My guess, from the symptoms you described, sound like a torque converter or cracked/loose/damaged flex plate. I would HOPE that they would have caught the flex plate during the engine R&R though. Does it only do it in top gear (4th/5th)?
Yeah, it seems only in 4th moving into 5th. Once I get into 5th it relaxes.

Update: I took the GX into the local Lexus dealer and explained very clearly the problems I have been having. Two days later the repair rep told me this... "
The vibration is coming from both of your axle shafts. You are going to need the primary and secondary air injection pump vales.

Both of your Exhaust converter's have an open circuit.

wrong spark plugs.water pump is leaking. Looks like the timing belt has been replaced."

So basically, when they replaced the engine they didn't use the correct spark plugs and it also seems like they didn't transfer the water pump.

Really feeling like I should have the repair done at the dealer. Peace of mind. But, I'm sure I could do them cheaper somewhere else. Thoughts? Worth the extra cost at Lexus with OEM parts?

Well, how much will it cost you to take it somewhere cheaper again and again while they screw you around ? The thing about taking it to Lexus is they have a national image to protect. Yes they cost more, a lot more sometimes. But you know your getting genuine Lexus parts and a good mechanic. When you go to Joe Smuckatellis wrench and lube you don't know what your getting. They generally could care less about your repeat business because they will get guys like you all day long who are trying to save a buck. My vote, take it to Lexus and consider the extra money as peace of mind.

You can take it to Toyota and save a little bit of Lexus mark up...

Well, how much will it cost you to take it somewhere cheaper again and again while they screw you around ? The thing about taking it to Lexus is they have a national image to protect. Yes they cost more, a lot more sometimes. But you know your getting genuine Lexus parts and a good mechanic. When you go to Joe Smuckatellis wrench and lube you don't know what your getting. They generally could care less about your repeat business because they will get guys like you all day long who are trying to save a buck. My vote, take it to Lexus and consider the extra money as peace of mind.

Appreciate the input. I really love this truck, so I don't mind spending the cash on having it done right once. I'll look into Toyota, too. I just want the thing running tip top. But hey, Lexus gave me a pretty nice loaner to drive until all the work gets finished. If I rented an RX (which I never would) for 2 weeks, it'd cost me at least a grand anyway. I suppose I can factor that into the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom