2004 Land Cruiser 100 with factory nav and JBL, subwoofer replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After lots of researching on here and FB, etc., here are some things I found out when replacing my factory subwoofer on my 04 LC with nav and JBL set up.

-The factory sub is dual voice coil at 4 ohms each.
96A48070-AB39-44B5-A715-8DF6A41F25C9.jpeg

-The factory sub enclosure has a sticker that says ‘7.4 ohm’. I was able to get the ohms on a skar 6” sub with dual 4 ohm voice coils up to 7 ohm when I wired it in series, but the sound was quieter than my iPhone. Of note, the factory sub was wired inside the enclosure in a standard configuration (yellow+, red- and green+, black-).
35C6945B-D9F7-4EB9-9D3B-47B3A15CE736.jpeg
79F89B9D-068A-4A91-B4D2-E90F3EEEB91C.jpeg

F3B4DDD3-5542-4236-BC8E-BD1B6681D134.jpeg

-FWIW, I would just disconnect the factory subwoofer and perhaps replace the front door speakers with a nicer set if you want better sound from the factory amp. The bass from the Skar sub was, for the most part, imperceptible from the driver’s seat, even with the windows up. Yes, at times, there was an extra little ‘rumble’ but not worth the time or money in my opinion. The sound was even less when wired in series at 7 ohms. Plus, the Skar subwoofer is a bit too deep requiring weather stripping to seal the enclosure, and it stuck out which then causes the panel to stick out a bit, even if you cut the inside of the grill.

-If the sub is making a rattling sound, you can simply disconnect the subwoofer by removing the ash tray next to the subwoofer and unplugging the white harness just inside. You can see the harness in the right lower corner of the picture of the sub enclosure. Or just refoam the factory sub, as long as the voice coils aren’t burnt up.
BBC05290-CBD7-4D65-A230-A4A328A21944.jpeg

-My plan is to replace the front door speakers and maybe get a 6” bazooka tube. The factory wiring can be pulled out of the sub enclosure and then used to directly wire into a stand alone subwoofer to be powered by the factory amp. Or I might get one of those powered slim profile subwoofers like the one made by alpine which is no bigger than a shoe box. For now, I have completely removed the factory sub and enclosure and just running the door speakers and tweeters.

I hope this helps anyone attempting this job.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this. I had a sub on my Christmas wish list for my 2004 LX, but after reading this I will just disconnect the unit and just go with the car door speakers.

PS. My 1999 LX sub is still working and no problem! Nakamichi stereo.

It has 210,000 miles on it. I am the second owner. I’m glad I never powered it too high for the past 160k miles.

Ah, didn't realize I could reach in an disconnect. I really want a little bump in da trunk, but not sure if it's worth it.

After lots of researching on here and FB, etc., here are some things I found out when replacing my factory subwoofer on my 04 LC with nav and JBL set up.

-The factory sub is dual voice coil at 4 ohms each.
View attachment 2472802

-The factory sub enclosure has a sticker that says ‘7.4 ohm’. I was able to get the ohms on a skar 6” sub with dual 4 ohm voice coils up to 7 ohm when I wired it in series, but the sound was quieter than my iPhone. Of note, the factory sub was wired inside the enclosure in a standard configuration (yellow+, red- and green+, black-).
View attachment 2472808View attachment 2472805
View attachment 2472806

-FWIW, I would just disconnect the factory subwoofer and perhaps replace the front door speakers with a nicer set if you want better sound from the factory amp. The bass from the Skar sub was, for the most part, imperceptible from the driver’s seat, even with the windows up. Yes, at times, there was an extra little ‘rumble’ but not worth the time or money in my opinion. The sound was even less when wired in series at 7 ohms. Plus, the Skar subwoofer is a bit too deep requiring weather stripping to seal the enclosure, and it stuck out which then causes the panel to stick out a bit, even if you cut the inside of the grill.

-If the sub is making a rattling sound, you can simply disconnect the subwoofer by removing the ash tray next to the subwoofer and unplugging the white harness just inside. You can see the harness in the right lower corner of the picture of the sub enclosure. Or just refoam the factory sub, as long as the voice coils aren’t burnt up.
View attachment 2472807

-My plan is to replace the front door speakers and maybe get a 6” bazooka tube. The factory wiring can be pulled out of the sub enclosure and then used to directly wire into a stand alone subwoofer to be powered by the factory amp. Or I might get one of those powered slim profile subwoofers like the one made by alpine which is no bigger than a shoe box. For now, I have completely removed the factory sub and enclosure and just running the door speakers and tweeters.

I hope this helps anyone attempting this job.
So did you end up grabbing a Bazooka? I have a ‘05 LX with ML and the refoam helped, big I believe the VC is toast. Since mine is 8-ohm SVC, I’m thinking of grabbing a 8” or 10” Bazooka 8-ohm SVC tube and joining it straight up to the sub wires, disconnecting the factory sub completely. If nothing else, I assume the size of the woofer and the tube should really make the most out of whatever power is going to the factory sub.

So did you end up grabbing a Bazooka? I have a ‘05 LX with ML and the refoam helped, big I believe the VC is toast. Since mine is 8-ohm SVC, I’m thinking of grabbing a 8” or 10” Bazooka 8-ohm SVC tube and joining it straight up to the sub wires, disconnecting the factory sub completely. If nothing else, I assume the size of the woofer and the tube should really make the most out of whatever power is going to the factory sub.

I have temporarily connected the factory sub wires to an 8” sub in a sealed box, I had laying around. Definitely sounds better then the factory sub. However, this is just until my Kicker HS10 arrives. I decided on the kicker because of relative ease of installation and features. It has an auto turn on through the high inputs, includes a gain knob I can run near the driver’s seat to control the sub separate from simply turning up the ‘bass,’ which then affects all the speakers, and I like the squared off shaped vs the bazooka. Seems like it’ll be easier to organize the cargo area with a box rather than a tube. No doubt the bazooka might provide a bigger bang for my buck, but I just like how sleek the kicker looks.

Just a note for anyone that is planning on just disconnecting the sub: In my 2000 base audio system, the amplifier required the resistance to function properly. When disconnected, my rear door speakers barely made any sound. Once reconnected, all was good.

That amp doesn’t put out enough power for that skar. I’m sure the sub amp channel out the amp is filtered to limit to low frequencies so get a low power handling 8 ohm woofer off parts express with relatively high sensitivity and it will be an improvement. Probably keep you from having depth issues like you were having with that skar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom