2003 LC Tesla Screen Install Write-Up (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I can't figure out where these guys go. I suspect the largest one goes to the factory amp, but don't have a cable to reach it.

C30701C3-F135-41C3-B51D-61F8DA7A3A2B.jpeg

733DBC6C-CF56-4F79-846F-843D79BCDCBB.jpeg

Have my dash apart . No climate control-no sound. unit turns on. CBeck- did you use the "low and medium A/C tieline"?

Not sure what to do now- it's 95 degrees in FL

TBD. My audio isn't working yet or my backup camera. AC is plug and play once you transfer the box.

I have a few connectors on the new harness that I am not sure where they go, if they're even needed.
I am having no luck with the climate/or audio. . They said they sent the new harness, but now I have doubts they did:(

Seems like way to many unused connections..

IMG_8333.jpeg

Last edited:
The extra 3 plugs your looking at, I think they plug into the Airbag Indicator and Hazard/Center Diff Lock buttons on your AC Vents

The extra 3 plugs your looking at, I think they plug into the Airbag Indicator and Hazard/Center Diff Lock buttons on your AC Vents

Nah, those ones are already pulled through and not shown in the picture.

Is your truck a 2003? I have the same power cable ZF-1301S. I still have no climate control. Can you take a pic of your connections I cannot understand why I have so many unused connections from the power cable. They just won't align with the factory wiring

IMG_8338.jpeg

TBH, I haven't been able to mess with it too much. I have an iPhone so these experiences are from using that. Some highlights so far:
  • You can Airplay to the display - watch videos, websites, whatever - it mirrors your iPhone. Pretty. Slick.
  • I had a Grom BT-3 before, and I think this headunit has better bluetooth quality.
  • Google Maps works pretty well. I downloaded my local area in offline maps so I didn't have to always have my phone hotspotted, and it works. I tend to still use my phone for live traffic updating though.
  • Radio sounds good. Lots of presets available - and the up/down buttons on the steering wheel cycle through presets instead of seek up/down (Toyota did that wrong on the factory headunit).

Basically, it does what I need it to. I'm not a super user by any means. I stream music from my phone and usually shut the display off right after I hit play and never turn it back on. My guess is that for family haulers, this would be sweet because it would be easy to integrate rear screens, backup cam, etc.
How do you Airplay to the display? Do you have to purchase the optional WiFi module to do that? (I’ve only been able to do that on a WiFi network)

Also, where and what exactly did you purchase.

NEED. NOW!!! :)

Spoke to the company I bought it from and their engineers in China, they’re building me a new harness and sending it out tomorrow. I get the feeling they expected this all to be plug and play. Keep you posted.

This unit is slick. Considering this because I am very familiar with the way Tesla designs their interfaces and this looks like a carbon copy of the old (2013) software. If this one got over the air updates to modernize the software like the Teslas that would be unbelievable.

@mistered123 this is awesome. Can you play video files like movies while the truck is moving or while driving?

This is a really great write up - I've lagged on my own write up due to family stuff, but echo the fact that this is an upgrade even if quirky.

Getting the OEM amp working was never something I was successful with - ended up swapping out the OEM one and routing new wire to all the speakers.

That all said - the next big question I haven't seen anyone answer is the upgrade path for the Android OS. Pandora as a specific example won't update as the OS is too old, which is a bummer and would like to rectify.

Well that hypothesis was incorrect. None fit into the amp.

On my original harness, I had LOTS of unused connectors (3-5). On the new harness, I didn't have any. Hopefully your new harness will get you squared away.

How do you Airplay to the display? Do you have to purchase the optional WiFi module to do that? (I’ve only been able to do that on a WiFi network)

Also, where and what exactly did you purchase.

NEED. NOW!!! :)

I purchased from Stefan at Navihua. Mine came with WiFi (never knew it was an option), but yes, I believe you would need WiFi for the AirPlay to work correctly.

@mistered123 this is awesome. Can you play video files like movies while the truck is moving or while driving?

Yes! It has built in storage that you can put video files on, or you can stream from your phone.

Do you have the link to where you purchased from with the wifi?

I purchased from Stefan at Navihua. Mine came with WiFi (never knew it was an option), but yes, I believe you would need WiFi for the AirPlay to work correctly.

To be clear: Airplay/CarPlay is a different function than Mirroring. Mirroring of the iPhone is included in the device. Airplay/CarPlay is a different functionality and not supported out of the box. There ARE modules sold on Amazon to support this - I purchased a newly available wireless version [most options are wired] to support Airplay/CarPlay [Note: Carplay is the name for this feature]

WiFi is an included feature of the device. I've linked mine to a OBD2 car based hotspot [AT&T and Verizon offer these, maybe others as well] to allow direct functionality to apps, maps, etc.

For Storage: You can store on the device, or plug in a USB drive with content on it via external USB connections.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom