2002 LX470 build commences (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
newbie here. Just got a great deal on this 2002 LX470 with 194k miles from a local Toyota mechanic. Been browsing these forums for a few months and excited to get started on the build. Curious on any advice but below is what I am thinking in a broad format. Feel free to drop opinions on do's and dont's or point me to some good threads. Don't have a lot of mechanic experience but pretty handy and hoping to do what I can on my own (have a buddy with all tools and lifts I can use)

Wanting to fit 34" tires so probably 2.5" slee lift ( want to keep around 7' clearance for garage at work if possible with this). Worth keeping the AHC till it gives?
replacement bumper on front and rear ( like the slimmer baja look in front and rear with ladder and spare maybe ?)
replace screen (seen some of those "tesla" like replacement but not a lot of feedback on people installing)
roof rack of some sort with ease to swap between storage, skis and fly rod holder while keeping good look.

IMG-8883.JPG
IMG-8887.JPG

IMG-8885.JPG
IMG-8890.JPG

AHC has to be removed for the Slee lift , 33 inch tires works well with this lift if you use spacers , Slee also makes a nice rear bumper with ladder on one side and tire carrier / high lift mount on the other

AHC has to be removed for the Slee lift , 33 inch tires works well with this lift if you use spacers , Slee also makes a nice rear bumper with ladder on one side and tire carrier / high lift mount on the other
So will 34” not fit with that lift ? If not could I just fit the 33” now and roll with the AHC for awhile till I’m ready to throw lift on ?

Sleep recommends 33 , I used geolanders and the front driver rubs a tiny bit in some situations , doesn’t the AHC only lift when your in low range

IMG-9040.JPG

Went with 285 75 R17s. Took a bit of trimming but no rub normal driving. Will need AHC up when any full compressing . Plan to swap suspension a lot sooner now

IMG-9034.JPG

Last edited:
I just picked up my first AHC truck a couple months ago, and I dig it. Get the Slee override and give the AHC a shot for awhile.

Jim

I'm liking that tire size, just a hair shy of 34" and skinny enough not to cause too much drag as opposed to my 305s. Does that size come in a load range C?

I just picked up my first AHC truck a couple months ago, and I dig it. Get the Slee override and give the AHC a shot for awhile.

Jim
WOw I was not even aware of this. So you basically just ride in the taller setting all the time ? Any long term negatives with this. I'm all for riding my AHC into the ground before replacing.

Built this sleeper platform and will be testing it out this weekend. Pretty similar a lot of the ideas out there. I used metal pipe with threaded inserts. I like this way because I can find this pipe all over home depot in tons of sizes to adjust height. Definitely need to add some softer feet as its obvious will need to re upholster the flooring (probably do a rubber of some sort).

Will anchor down with hooks seen, probably just using small ratchet tie downs for ease as opposed to turnbuckles seen. I went with a little taller height here to fit cooler and others underneath as well. Will be a tight fit for wife and dog but we will see!

IMG-9327.JPG
IMG-9328.JPG

Last edited:
Also had fist causality on the car... and as assumed it was the tires wearing a hole in the washer reservoir (outrageous placement for this in my opinion). It is super minor and I just got the AHC override in the mail so will probably just flex seal it for now. It rubs just ever so slightly at full turn and finally gave in. I think the tiny bit more clearance will solve it too.

Recommend window protection (interior).

Yeah these look really great and you are the second person to suggest them. Thinking expo++ with 1/2 grid and sunroof cutout.
Make that three. I have a Gamaviti on my '02 and love it. Looks great and can do anything. In fact, that's almost exactly my set up, but also have the small basket up front behind the sunroof cutout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom