2001 LX470 Radio Wiring Diagram (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been at this for two days now. Head unit will not power on. I ran the speaker wires from the amp to the head unit. I used the blue and yellow wire to yellow B+ wire to head unit, brown to ground, gray add to red from HU.

No power...

So I decided to bypass the amp, but the wiring diagram from here: Stereo Wiring: Land Cruiser / LX 470 (1998-02)

Doesn't make sense. The bypass section doesn't match my harness for a mark levinson.

By this time I know the colors for the wires, so I took the blue and yellow wires from each harness and connected them. Jumped the gray wire with the blue and yellow wires, and took the ground wires from one harness and connected those. Still, nothing.

At this point, seeing how most others stopped at what I did initially and simply had no sound but had power, I figured my Chinese android unit must be defective and went and bought one from Frys. Quickly connected the power wires only, and still nothing! Interesting thing about the new unit though is the antenna responds when I plug the harness in, so that's something....

What am I doing wrong?

When I replaced the unit in my 2001 LX none of the wiring diagrams online were right online and since the factory unit runs a single ground for all the speakers to the amp i just ran new speaker wires from the head unit to the amp and tied in to the speaker wires there. The color codes should be right at the amp (or were on mine) as to which speakers are which but you can hook them up one at a time and test to confirm.

If you don't have one invest in a multimeter and find what has switched voltage in the harness. If you unhook the amp you'll have to splice some wires together other than just speaker wires or you won't get power. Best bet is to use your multimeter to confirm voltage at the unit, if you're not getting voltage trace it back to the amp and see if/where that wire is hooking in. Also check fuses, maybe you blew something messing around with stuff.

Yeah, thinking about going to get one. I checked the fuses because I thought the same thing. Still weird it wouldn't work even with the amp still installed.... unless the first unit really was doa and now I messed something up by unhooking the wires to the amp. Thing I'm going to reinstall the amp and see if this new unit works.

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, thinking about going to get one. I checked the fuses because I thought the same thing. Still weird it wouldn't work even with the amp still installed.... unless the first unit really was doa and now I messed something up by unhooking the wires to the amp. Thing I'm going to reinstall the amp and see if this new unit works.

Thanks for the reply!
Worst case scenario just run anything with 12v to the power wire on the new head unit's harness to test it. That will tell you if its the unit or the wiring. Multimeters are a must for any kind of electrical car work though in my opinion. Or if you want to be cheap just buy a test bulb, but multimeters aren't too expensive for all they can do.

I had to ground the head unit. When I bypassed the amp it took the ground from the stereo. Did you check for 12VDC to chassis ground at your hot wires for the head unit?

I had to ground the head unit. When I bypassed the amp it took the ground from the stereo. Did you check for 12VDC to chassis ground at your hot wires for the head unit?

Exactly the problem! I figured it out once I reinstalled the levinson amp. Things still didn't work and I just stared at the ground realizing..... "crap, it's not connected to the truck!" I try to just keep everything out and make connections just in case I have to troubleshoot. Anyway, screwed one screw in for the amp mount and voila! We have power.

Chinese android unit is life! I'm keeping it lol. It's a panlelo with the DVD player although.... the DVD player really isn't necessary.

Thanks everyone! I'm going to do a light write up and video of how to install it with the rear camera and new speakers.... although once again, my speakers sound so good now I bought the other speakers for nothing!

I knoooow! I think about it about once every 2 weeks (now). Life just came at me. I've already made the videos and everything! Let me try to find them so I can upload it to youtube.

yeah, and today's my birthday! Well the 4th was. LOL, I should be relaxing! BRB, give me a moment. And the video covers that. What to connect it to.

Thanks! I'm sleepy now, but it's uploading to YouTube. Hope this is helpful! I think the reason I'm late is because I said something wrong. The size of the wire I used was actually 16 gauge and I think I said 14 in the video. Good luck! Video will be ready in about 9 minutes.

ok questions....

Amp side: You didn’t modify anything on the non-speaker amp connector? Just the speakers and left everything else alone?

HU: what did you connect the antenna and amp (blk/red red/white) wires to on your new HU harness ?

ok questions....

Amp side: You didn’t modify anything on the non-speaker amp connector? Just the speakers and left everything else alone?

HU: what did you connect the antenna and amp (blk/red red/white) wires to on your new HU harness ?

Amp: Exactly. It looks like I did because... well, I did at first. All to find out it was completely unnecessary. Just snip those speaker wires off and run them directly to the back of the head unit... done

HU: Do you mean red/black and black/red? If so, the red/black wires are the amp turn on(AKA remote wire), and I didn't need it so i didn't use it. I cut it only because I initially bought an aftermarket amp, but figured out how to do everything without getting so involved.

The black/red wire is for the power antenna. Some harnesses are different, but they come with labels. Just connect it to your power antenna wire from your new head unit.

The red/white wire wasn't cut or used at all.

You only need basic wires from the old head unit: the ground, power ACC, battery, to get the new head unit functioning. Then running the speaker wires gives it sound and that's it. If you want the radio you need to connect the power antenna, and if you're running an aftermarket amp, you'll need to connect the amp turn on (remote wire).

Well I painstakingly re-made my harnesses for the amp, connected the speakers and boom we're in business. Thank you so much for posting this. No doubt I would have been dicking around with it for days without it.

Next step, backup cam.

No problem! Definitely took me a few days to figure it out. I also did the backup cam too. Best to do it while everything is out. It's easier than what you just did. Kinda... I didn't film that but let me know if you need help with that too.

I figured it should be, and the HU comes out so easily on this truck. I just need a breather from twisting wires. The one I bought is that one that replaces a license plate light so the hard part should just be popping panels to run the wire. I saw you ran your wire at the same time which I should have done.

Hey Guys!

Put in a new head unit and amplifier. Got everything wired up. Only thing I don't have is which wires to jump on the second harness of the amp. When i tried to turn on the headunit and amp nothing happened so i'm assuming its that.

Stock Harness -> Pioneer Headunit
blue/yellow -> yellow 12v
gray -> red 12v Ignition
brown -> black ground
orange -> orange illumination
black/red -> blue remote wire
Aftermarket Remote -> blue remote wire (I have both the antenna and aftermarket remote wire connected to the remote on the harness)

3 Pairs of RCAs To new amp

Stock ML Amplifier -> Aftermarket
Aftermarket Power
Aftermarket Ground (to chassis)
Aftermarket Remote Wire

Green&Blue FR
Pink&Purple FL
Red&White RR
Black&Yellow RL

Here are the pics(bad pics :/ ) for the Second Harness I think I need to jump.
IMG 1423
IMG 1421

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom