2001 Camshaft Noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In search of a 4.7 V8 expert. I just replaced the head gaskets on my 2001 LC. I got everything back together and the truck fired right up. As it idled to warm up I noticed a very slight ticking noise that developed as the engine got warmer. Once at normal operating temperature the slight ticking noise sounded more like a valve slapping noise. If I had to compare it to anything it would be the engine sounded like a small normal diesel engine that something like a newer VW would have. Just enough of a noise to sound like a diesel, but not enough to think the engine is coming apart.

The oil pressure at start up climbs to just over the 1/2 mark on the gauge and slowly settles back to just above the 1/4 once the truck is warmed up (exactly the same as my 99 LC). I used a very sophisticated stethoscope that resembles and works like a long screw driver to locate the noise. None of the valves sound abnormal or loud. However on both heads the closer I got to the front of the cams, where the intake and exhaust cam gears meet, the noise got louder. Something is not happy between the gears, but I have no clue what. After the head job I installed a Toyota OEM filter with Mobile 1 5w-30 Synthetic oil. Oil looks good with no signs of any metallic particles floating around. I compared the engine running noise with my screwdriver / stethoscopes to my other 4.7 LC's and they all sounded the same in the valve train until the cam gears.

I just pulled the valve covers and front bearing caps off in hopes of finding something obviously wrong. All looks good with no signs any foul play in or around the cams. No fresh scaring marks to indicate the source of the noise. My only guess is the bearing caps have groves in them, and they also require sealing for install. Maybe some sealant worked its way into a grove and blocked an oil passage to the cam gears?

Anyone ever do anything to one of these motors that involved pulling the cams? Any ideas or suggestions? I didn't have any leftover parts from the head gasket install so I think I must have don't something right. Its quiet as can be when you crank it up, but as it warms up a little noise developed that gets slightly louder as temp increases.

If you know these motors inside and out and life in the DFW area you're more than welcome to come take a look. I used the FSM manual for installation and torque specs while putting everything back together.

I took a video, and its about as good as it can be with a cell phone recording it. Its enough to hear an extra noise. Im not sure how to upload it though. I can post pictures, but the video doesn't wan to cooperate.

Thanks!

FullSizeRender-8.jpg

Can't help you with the original question, but the easiest way to post a video is to upload it to YouTube, then post the link here.

One of my #1 intake valve buckets is too short. I'd describe my noise similar to your description.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom