200 series Question - Rock Warriors, BBS Heritage and ride quality (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone -

Hoping to get some thoughts from those who may know better! Also, I've searched here and the google but am hoping for some confirmation. So....

I'm looking to replace the OE 18" wheels on my 2014 Land Cruiser with eher Rock Warriors or the forged BBS Heritage edition wheels. I currently have a set of the factory Dunlop Grand Trek's for longer road trips and BFG KO2's for regular driving and the occasional adventure (both mounted to OE 18" wheels). 90% of the time I spend in daily driving and I'm not looking to increase in tire size at the moment so ride comfort / quality is important as the family will speak up if it's too harsh or tall!

If I go with the Rock Warrior's the recommended tire size is LT285 / 70 R17 and the three tires I'd consider running (BFG KO2, Wildpeak AT3, Open Country AT3) are all E load in that size. If I go with the BBS Heritage the recommended tire size of 285 / 60 18 is available in XL load rating in the open country AT3, and D load rating in the BFG (same as my current set). My question is this:

Will the 17" E rated tires ride stiffer than the 18" XL or D rated tires, or will the extra sidewall offset this? How will tire pressure between these options impact ride quality?

I've compared wheel and tire weight of these options (Rock warrior plus BFG = approx 83lbs, stock set up with BFG = approx 85lbs, and Heritage edition BBS with AT3= approx 81lbs) per what I can find on the web and this forum. So weight isn't enough to help push me in one direction or the other. I can definitely feel the difference on the highway between my current BFG vs Grand Trek set up and assume this is driven by difference if load, weight, and air pressure. On my old AEV Rubicon I had a set of KM2's that were E rated and I loved the look but hated the ride and switched them out eventually and don't want to make the same mistake.

Thoughts and experience appreciated

Last edited:
I don't have experience on this, but I do wonder about the same thing. Looking at https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=55 for PSI:
  • XL load: 42 PSI
  • D load: 65 PSI
  • E load: 80 PSI
These are max PSIs and I don't know how to find the "recommended" PSI, but either way I cannot imagine 1 extra inch of sidewall would undo all those extra PSI. I'm a bit surprised the most comfortable option (XL) requires you to get 18s instead of 17s.

New Tires

I've always found this post helpful for determining the correct PSI on non standard size & spec tires for the 200. @gaijin any thoughts on this one?

New Tires

I've always found this post helpful for determining the correct PSI on non standard size & spec tires for the 200. @gaijin any thoughts on this one?

You link to one of my own posts from more than 7 years ago - what do you want me to say?

The only changes I would make to that post today are the following two points:

1. All necessary info for determining RCTIP for non-standard tires is contained in the excellent Toyo Tires monograph on the subject available here: Guidelines for the Application of Load and Inflation Tables

2. Be aware that the RCTIP is different for LC200 and LX570 so it is not possible to take my RCTIP for one model and directly apply it to the other.

Other than that, I think it's an excellent post :poof:

HTH

Hi Everyone -

Hoping to get some thoughts from those who may know better! Also, I've searched here and the google but am hoping for some confirmation. So....

I'm looking to replace the OE 18" wheels on my 2014 Land Cruiser with eher Rock Warriors or the forged BBS Heritage edition wheels. I currently have a set of the factory Dunlop Grand Trek's for longer road trips and BFG KO2's for regular driving and the occasional adventure (both mounted to OE 18" wheels). 90% of the time I spend in daily driving and I'm not looking to increase in tire size at the moment so ride comfort / quality is important as the family will speak up if it's too harsh or tall!

If I go with the Rock Warrior's the recommended tire size is LT285 / 60 R17 and the three tires I'd consider running (BFG KO2, Wildpeak AT3, Open Country AT3) are all E load in that size. If I go with the BBS Heritage the recommended tire size of 285 / 60 18 is available in XL load rating in the open country AT3, and D load rating in the BFG (same as my current set). My question is this:

Will the 17" E rated tires ride stiffer than the 18" XL or D rated tires, or will the extra sidewall offset this? How will tire pressure between these options impact ride quality?

I've compared wheel and tire weight of these options (Rock warrior plus BFG = approx 83lbs, stock set up with BFG = approx 85lbs, and Heritage edition BBS with AT3= approx 81lbs) per what I can find on the web and this forum. So weight isn't enough to help push me in one direction or the other. I can definitely feel the difference on the highway between my current BFG vs Grand Trek set up and assume this is driven by difference if load, weight, and air pressure. On my old AEV Rubicon I had a set of KM2's that were E rated and I loved the look but hated the ride and switched them out eventually and don't want to make the same mistake.

I don't usually check this forum, so I simply responded to your latest post because I was flagged that you mentioned me in your post.

After posting, I came back and read through the whole thread and have some comments.

First, the Toyota recommended tire for use on the RW wheels on the LC200 is LT285/70R17 (not LT285/60R17 as you posted). The RCTIP for this LT-Metric size on a LC200 is 40psi F/R.

The Toyo Open Country A/T III is available in ISO-Metric size 285/60R18 120S XL. The RCTIP for this tire on your LC200 is 33psi F/R.

The BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2 is available in LT-Metric size LT285/60R18 118/115S Load Range D. The RCTIP for this tire on your LC200 is 46psi F/R.

More info to chew on - have fun.

HTH

Thanks for the correction on the above RW size and for the PSI details on the different tires - very helpful.

You link to one of my own posts from more than 7 years ago - what do you want me to say?

The only changes I would make to that post today are the following two points:

1. All necessary info for determining RCTIP for non-standard tires is contained in the excellent Toyo Tires monograph on the subject available here: Guidelines for the Application of Load and Inflation Tables

2. Be aware that the RCTIP is different for LC200 and LX570 so it is not possible to take my RCTIP for one model and directly apply it to the other.

Other than that, I think it's an excellent post :poof:

HTH
Holy Fat Tire Flyer Batman...😏 That's a lot of stats there @gaijin. You are the Man... :cheers:

Hi Everyone -

If I go with the Rock Warrior's the recommended tire size is LT285 / 70 R17 and the three tires I'd consider running (BFG KO2, Wildpeak AT3, Open Country AT3) are all E load in that size. If I go with the BBS Heritage the recommended tire size of 285 / 60 18 is available in XL load rating in the open country AT3, and D load rating in the BFG (same as my current set). My question is this:

EGR GUY - I am considering the same setup for my 2018 LC. The BFG KO2's seem to be a popular choice. The debate I am currently having is whether to change out the wheels or go with stock set up. I definitely want to avoid any rub or alterations to the set up, or a significant ride quality change. I have also seen some comments on the KO2's that is giving me some pause. Can you comment about the every day driving with the KO2's, how they do in the rain, etc.? I have seen some posts that claim some hydroplaning issues. Any pics of the stock set up you can share with the KO2's?

In stock size they ride great on the OE wheels. A little firmer than the OE Dunlop’s But that to be expected with the D rating. I’ve not had any issues in snow or rain at all with them either and haven’t experienced any hydroplaning.
2BC9BF14-48D8-4682-B891-5BDAC5F83A80.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom