200 Rear Bumper Chop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In an effort to improve the 200s departure angle I decided to chop my rear bumper as well as relocate the spare and delete the resonator.
I’m super happy with how it turned out.
C671A1A7-08C8-46BF-93F4-DF69A43D2DF8.jpeg

First I replaced the cargo hooks in the rear with something a little stronger from Ace Hardware and the spare isn’t moving at all.

EA8D0CA0-A6E2-43CC-862D-A610942700FB.jpeg
74AE9F5F-2235-4F05-930A-AFB69C832E5D.jpeg
0AFF7092-8753-4C21-81F9-2F7D34360109.jpeg
B4223AA2-C960-4AD7-BFFD-976459D3A580.jpeg

Rear bumper tube slider would work great under that.

Nice! You have my attention and looking forward to seeing the results.

Nicely done. The rear bumper is so fat and poorly designed, it could have had a storage compartment with all the empty space. I just used a heat gun and zip tied the sides of mine for higher clearance. Also removed the tie down on the right side and relocated the tow connector into the frame. Not the most elegant solution, but completely reversible. The resonator is also a poor design, luckily it doesn't cost much to improve. There is room for both the resonator and spare tire to sit a little higher within the frame on the 200, and there could have been a bumper cutout for the exhaust.

Last edited:
@Chocolate agreed on all points and you reminded me, I also relocated the trailer plug to the cross bar where the spare use to sit. There’s an unused threaded nut up there that fit one of the bolts I took off perfectly.

Looks clean, now just needs a steel bumper.

I like the look of that. Nice work!

Hey Nate,
When I ran with the spare in the back, i used a plastic oil catch pan and a piece of wood to hold a bunch of recovery gear in the wheel. Amazon has decent quality cheap wheel covers that look good with the tan interior. Not a biggie with a clean new wheel, but if you get a flat and have to put a nasty trail wheel in the back, its nice to have a cover.

What did you use to make the cut?

Really tempted to try it this weekend

What did you use to make the cut?

Really tempted to try it this weekend

Great advice sir, I appreciate it!

I used an angle grinder with a metal cut off wheel.

I took the bumper off and balanced on my work bench.
253E0636-1BEF-4988-9F5C-4BF9E2AF82CC.jpeg

It was super easy cutting in a straight line.

Other threads warned this method would create a lot of jagged edges but I was able to make the edge smooth by wiping with a towel immediately after the cut while the plastic was still molten hot... haha

Have you driven on the highway at 80+mph??? Hear any new or strange wind noises etc. ???

Thanks

P.S. I hope it not a lease...LOL...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom