200 made the Wall Street Journal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's the PDF. As you might expect, dinosaur design, range rover comparisons, and poor gas mileage are discussed.

Attachments

• 2017 Toyota Land Cruiser_ The Hippopotamus of Luxury SUVs - WSJ.pdf
    653.4 KB · Views: 319
Wow. He couldn't seem to come up with enough fat-lumbering-animal jokes on every page...

Sad that they think everyone should want a light weight quasi SUV with turbo v6 or 4 cylinder. There is something for everyone out there.

A smug, unbalanced, and ad hominem piece. Welcome to modern journalism.

I subscribe but do not necessarily agree with everything the WSJ says. After all, they were all-in for the low-energy Jeb! too.

For a US-centric market view it seemed pretty accurate :)

Somehow I think he's mind was already made up about the LC before writing the article. It felt like he just needed to get it out of his chest.

For a US-centric market view it seemed pretty accurate :)

Im not sure it US Centric market as a whole, I would narrow that down to "Larger Cities centric market". I used to live in Chicago, and driving an LC in Chicago and parking it around town should not be easy these days. I can imagine the same would hold true for cities like Boston or NYC.

A while back Gear Patrol made an article on the LC also and the focus is completely different, I imagine the demographics of the readers is quite different.

A month ago I only owned an 2004 FZJ 80 which Im extremely happy with, and an opportunity came up that Im now the lucky owner of a UZJ200 and I can't even begin to compare the 2. I still live the 80, but the 200 is an entirely different class.

Last edited:
I used to get irritated with such articles but now I knid of like it. It makes feel like I knkw much better than an automotive journalist who is paid to knkw these things. On a perosnal note there are other SUVs more attractive than a LC with RW KO2s but none of them are military grade vehicles. Someone who loves a LC will love it for its military level capability.

in b 4 moved to chit-chat....

So. Many. Big. Words.

He must know stuff.

Can your really control the sway bars on the new 200? I did not realize that.

What a ridiculous article. He's really on a roll with the animal metaphors. He's among the many that just don't get it.

Well Dan earned his dollar for the day. He certainly got us to read.

Ummm no I don't believe one can control the sway bars. Dan says there's a switch on the console to limber up the front and rear stabilizer bars. But I think Dan was so quick build a good story that he slipped a bit on understanding the facts.

I think he confused the Traction Control / Vehicle Sway Control / Trailer Sway Control switch with something that controls stabilizer bars.

I wonder if Dan even owns a car anymore. Many living in large cities don't. Some automotive journalists don't either. They just rely on a revolving stream of press cars and attend well catered press events. These days I think Dan writes more about cars than he experiences them. Which makes sense since his job isn't to be an expert - it's to entice people to subscribe and keep reading. He's a writer, not a driver.

I've really grown tired of Mr. Neil...if it is not electric, or a Volvo or moves on two wheels, it is an antique. He comes off as a arrogant, condescending politically correct tool. I read the WSJ six days a week. They fired Bret Stephens a few months ago, I would like to see Neil next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom