2 specific questions on A/C low port '85 toy pickup when converting to 134 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

John McVicker

SILVER Star
Threads
I usually post on the 40/60 board, but at least 1 of these questions is specific to toy pickups so I'm asking you guys for help.

I'm converting to 134 with 2 issues:

(1) can you please tell me where the low pressure switch is and what it looks like, in case I have to by-pass it to get the a/c clutch to engage to get it to suck in the first can of 134.

(2) on the low side - am I supposed to leave in or take out the original Schrader value before I put on the adapter that also has some type of valve built in it?

Thanks and appreciate your help. Thanks, John

on what year and engine?

take the schrader valve out.
the new adapter fittings are sposed to have valves in them.

Thanks WristPin...85 22r carb.

At 1st I did take the OEM valve out because the adapter did have one already, like you said. But when I put a can of 134 in, it all escapes out of the low port adapter.

The valve in the new adapter is not air tight...take it off & look through it like the barrel of a gun & you can see daylight...no way it will seal the refg. So I was thinking maybe you are supposed to use both valves, but that doesn't make sense. But a valve that doesn't seal, doesn't make sense either.

Any and all help is appreciated.

John

there should be o rings under the new valves.

here is a diagram and a key

22Rwireharness.gif

22RwirediagramKEY.gif

oh crap i thot the pressure switch would be listed.

go to napa and have them look it up and pull the part

then analyse it and find it on your truck.

hmmmm im gonna go see it i can find it on my truck

oh crap i thot the pressure switch would be listed.

go to napa and have them look it up and pull the part

then analyse it and find it on your truck.

hmmmm im gonna go see it i can find it on my truck

OK, Thanks.

Any additional info on the shrader valve on the low port side will also be appreciated. I can't keep any 134 in there. It al immediatelyl escapes when I release the instalation hose. The instructions with the retrofit kit aren't any help.

I pull a vacuum for 30 mins., put in 1 can of 134, take the hose off to put in another can, and whoose, out it comes. Not good for the Antartic or my wallet.

John

the R12 system on my 86 is the same as it would be on your earlier carb truck.

i looked and i didnt find the pressure switch.
either it dosent have one or it located into the abyss of the HVAC unit.

so what i would do is tap into the + wire of the electro magnet and energise it manually.

on to the valve deals. looking at the bottom side of your new valve, does it have some kind of rod or shaft that is free (not fixed) that would possibly push down your existing valve when you install a hose from yer can?
i bet thats what its for. which means you need to keep the existing schraders in there

all the retro fit kits i have done and known of people doing have a valve in the new fittings to hold pressure by them selves
obviously this one is odd. who makes it?

Wristy, I think you may be right about the valve. Or at least I have come to the same conclusion...use both valves...the retro valve pushes down on the OEM valve, lets the 134 in. But it still immediately whooshes back out. For some reason I have no seal. So maybe we aren't correct. I've used 2 different retro valves, same bad results. Anyone ??

The brand I used is Interdynamics. Fairly common at Wallmart & Shucks.

The low pressure switch...my Chilton says it's by the glove box...but can't find it, don't know what it looks like.

John

I did this conversion on my celica which has similar parts. You do infact use the conversion valve on top of the stock valve. Strange but true. I did not have to fool with the low pressure switch. I just charged the system per the instructions and I was good to go.

Good Luck!

I did this conversion on my celica which has similar parts. You do infact use the conversion valve on top of the stock valve. Strange but true. I did not have to fool with the low pressure switch. I just charged the system per the instructions and I was good to go.

Good Luck!

Thanks H8, A cup of coffee & I'll go out and try it again.

Here is what I am hoping has been my problem & the reason the freon keeps escaping : I originally took out the OEM valve...freon escaped....put the OEM valve back in, then put the low port adapter on..BUT since I wasn't certain I should have 2 valves I did not seat the OEM fully, and as a result the next can also leaked out.

This is where I went to MUD & you guys. Hopefully a complete 'seat' of the OEM valve will give a good seal. Will report back.

John

Now need comp part

Would anyone be willing to sell the following A/C comp. part that I just bunged up (longstory). I will post in the parts wanted section but I thought I would throw it out to you guys also.

1) Low side port for the A/C compressor, '85 toy P.U. with 22r carb.

I need the actual OEM port not the adapter that I can buy anywhere. The schrader valve broke off & the port is not functional as is. I can't back it out to install a new valve. I will attempt to drill it out, but the chance of success is low, so I am thinking I will need to buy. Tomorrow I will call Cdan, but I am thinking I can't buy just this part.

Please PM if you can help. Going to be 101 degrees here this Thursday.

Thanks, John

No need for the part now. Believe it or not, my wife got the broken schrader valve out b-4 I got the drill after it. She used 2 paper clips. Yes, paper clips...she did in 20 mins. what I had been working on for 2 hours. She is known around these parts as 'Cruiser Girl". Don't yet know if I have yet solved my original problem of not being able to get freon in, but it's a step forward.
Will post back if I have further problems. You have me on the right track, thanks much for your help.
John

Last edited:
The problem with the schrader valve has been solved. Thanks for everyones input. However, I still have a related problem but will post a new therad so as to not confuse the issue.

Thanks, John McVicker

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom