2 Questions about 2016/2017 Cruisers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IF towing matters, the tow rating difference between the LX and LC is over 1,000#. May not matter if you won't be towing or will be towing less then 6,000#. The 300# difference in vehicle weight does not account for the 1100# difference in tow rating. My speculation is that the AHC is the culprit. We tow a 6,000# trailer so it mattered to us - though I know people who use an LX570 to tow the same trailer and love it.

BTW, I'm with those who prefer manual tailgates and rear seats. I had the auto stuff on my Acura and on a smaller Lexus. I found it was too slow for me - and when I tried to "make it go faster" it would get angry and push back.

IMG_0049.JPG

FWIW, I towed my 32 Intrepid on short (20 mile) trips around town with no problem multiple times with my old 2009 LX. The boat / trailer combo is around 12,000 lbs give or take.

I think the weak points on towing are the transmission and the brakes. The LX and the LC have built in trans coolers, and my trailer has brakes. Obviously, I would prefer to own a 2500 diesel pickup to tow the boat, but I don't have one. I never once had any issue with the AHC even with that heavy load / trailer. In fact, I loved being able to lift the truck up so it didn't get salt water on it when I was backing the boat down.

Toyota is super conservative on tow ratings. For instance, the 2008 LC was rated for 8,500 lbs. 2016 rated for 8,100. Same truck. 2008 Sequoia rated for 10,000. 2016 rated for 7,400. Same truck.

Finally, the tail gate being manual for me is exactly what you said. The auto ones are super slow, and they "get angry" if you push on them. Although on the LX there is a switch that totally disables the auto tailgate, and then its manual with no feedback.

I am wasting my Monday morning typing this instead of preparing for my tasks at work!

On a side note about buying a "new" Toyota vs Lexus. I have personally driving both brands for the past 10 years. I would have to say if you were to get a new one. I would go with a Lexus. Hands down the better service department IMO.

.....Just a thought....

On a side note about buying a "new" Toyota vs Lexus. I have personally driving both brands for the past 10 years. I would have to say if you were to get a new one. I would go with a Lexus. Hands down the better service department IMO.

.....Just a thought....

I have only had my LC serviced at the local Lexus dealer. At first, they gave me a hard time about it, absent a "service plan." Then I pointed out that I bought a new LX from them, and they quit fussing. Not sure what that was about in the first place.

If your like me and appreciate loaner cars from your service department then Lexus service will hands down accommodate that every time. Toyota dealers on the other hand don't always offer that and very cheap on such accommodation considering the hefty price I paid for my LC. To keep me sane and telling myself I made the right decision buying the LC I try to take it off-roading as much as possible because that's when it really shines you start to love it again. I guess you could call that love and hate relationship.

Also to make me feel better, my friend owns a G63 with air suspension and lockers but he prefers to drive my LC when he is going on trails.

View attachment 1392196

FWIW, I towed my 32 Intrepid on short (20 mile) trips around town with no problem multiple times with my old 2009 LX. The boat / trailer combo is around 12,000 lbs give or take.

I think the weak points on towing are the transmission and the brakes. The LX and the LC have built in trans coolers, and my trailer has brakes. Obviously, I would prefer to own a 2500 diesel pickup to tow the boat, but I don't have one. I never once had any issue with the AHC even with that heavy load / trailer. In fact, I loved being able to lift the truck up so it didn't get salt water on it when I was backing the boat down.

Toyota is super conservative on tow ratings. For instance, the 2008 LC was rated for 8,500 lbs. 2016 rated for 8,100. Same truck. 2008 Sequoia rated for 10,000. 2016 rated for 7,400. Same truck.

Finally, the tail gate being manual for me is exactly what you said. The auto ones are super slow, and they "get angry" if you push on them. Although on the LX there is a switch that totally disables the auto tailgate, and then its manual with no feedback.

I am wasting my Monday morning typing this instead of preparing for my tasks at work!

First, heaven forbid that you would ever waste work time answering a forum like this!

As for towing, the LX is great. But with a big, boxy travel trailer to tow for thousands of miles through the Rocky Mountains and the fact that the only reason I moved over from a Land Rover were questions surrounding hitch/tongue weight limits I wanted to go with the higher rated vehicle.

Also, I believe the lower ratings that Toyota (and others) have been using the past couple of years are due to their decision to use the new-ish SAE tow rating certification process which is much more thorough and covers many more factors.

As for LX vs LC service. I am truly bummed that after years of Lexus, Acura and Land Rover service I need to suffer through Toyota service. But, hopefully, little service will be required.

everyone keeps saying the wood isn't real....I don't know about that. I have an 08 LC and the shift knob was all stratched up so i bought a new one. I took the old one and sanded down the clear coat and varnish and got to WOOD. I don't have pics but I swear the shifter knob was real wood. And it looks identical to the rest of the wood in my 08.

"Dan Higgins, post: 10808656, member: 121790"]First, heaven forbid that you would ever waste work time answering a forum like this!

hah, sometimes I think this forum is the only thing getting me through the workday:D:beer::beer::beer:

Last edited:
I have become obsessed with the forum lately. I also ordered the 20" Japan and ME spec OEM rims for my 2016 LC, and they arrive tomorrow. I will post pics once I have tires mounted and have them installed, provided that I don't get a bunch of snarky comments from the hardcore off-road dudes. I live in the low country of SC and there ain't a lot of mud, other than pluff mud, around here. There sure as heck aren't any mountains. :(

These are the rims I got, but in "blackout" version. Meaning the grey parts are black. Go ahead, flame away ...

2016_Toyota_Land_Cruiser_11.jpg

I have become obsessed with the forum lately. I also ordered the 20" Japan and ME spec OEM rims for my 2016 LC, and they arrive tomorrow. I will post pics once I have tires mounted and have them installed, provided that I don't get a bunch of snarky comments from the hardcore off-road dudes. I live in the low country of SC and there ain't a lot of mud, other than pluff mud, around here. There sure as heck aren't any mountains. :(

These are the rims I got, but in "blackout" version. Meaning the grey parts are black. Go ahead, flame away ...

View attachment 1392396

I understand what you been with being obsessed. I don't post much but must read the forum multiple times a day. The lads here are a breath of fresh air and I appreciate their effort and respect for others. As for the downside of this, it is going to cost us some $$. I myself have bought 20" LX wheels for my 2016 LX570. Hopefully I can get them this week and will post some pics. Thanks all for such a great forum.

I love my Toyota dealer but the cost of Uber-ing both ways negates the cost savings of servicing at Toyota. When I tried getting my Lexus dealer to do it (next door same owner) they thought it was weird. I'll have to ram it through next time. Their sales department tried to rip me off on the GS so I had to buy out of state, but their service department is great.

View attachment 1392396

How much were the wheels?

Ask Beno. Not cheap.

haha you said everything I need to know. Please post a lot of pictures as I want those wheels badly as well. I am in the same camp as you as my offroading is limited to driving on the beach and want to go 20 inch as well.

everyone keeps saying the wood isn't real....I don't know about that. I have an 08 LC and the shift knob was all stratched up so i bought a new one. I took the old one and sanded down the clear coat and varnish and got to WOOD. I don't have pics but I swear the shifter knob was real wood. And it looks identical to the rest of the wood in my 08.

This is Toyota's description of the steering wheel:

"Leather-trimmed heated power tilt/telescopic steering wheel with wood-grain-style accents..."​

If it were genuine wood, I suspect they'd advertise it as such rather than using the term "wood-grain-style-accents."

haha you said everything I need to know. Please post a lot of pictures as I want those wheels badly as well. I am in the same camp as you as my offroading is limited to driving on the beach and want to go 20 inch as well.

Will do.

This is Toyota's description of the steering wheel:

"Leather-trimmed heated power tilt/telescopic steering wheel with wood-grain-style accents..."​

If it were genuine wood, I suspect they'd advertise it as such rather than using the term "wood-grain-style-accents."
I don't know about the steering wheel but the "wood grain style accents" on the shifter knob are indeed wood. At least on my 08.

IMG_1037.JPG
IMG_1038.JPG

As for LX vs LC service. I am truly bummed that after years of Lexus, Acura and Land Rover service I need to suffer through Toyota service. But, hopefully, little service will be required.
My Toyota dealer experience with my 2016 LC has been infinitely better than my experience with the Lexus dealer for my 2010 LX.

1) I always had to spend 15 minutes in discussion with Lexus service guy about un-needed and expensive add ons to the standard Lexus recommended service steps. The Lexus service guys basically assume that their customers know nothing about cars and are suckers.

2) The loaner policy was complete BS. The Lexus dealer only claimed that they had to give you a loaner if service was 3 hours or greater. Conveniently enough for them, all the services were only supposed to take 2 hours and 45 minutes. I think only twice in 5 years did my 2 hour and 45 minutes service take less than 2 days (seriously, my car was always in overnight).

3) Twice I had to take the Lexus back the next day due to something being broken while in service.

The Toyota dealer on the other hand doesn't pretend to offer loaners it doesn't, is very up front about what the service includes, and gets my truck done in the originally estimated time while I wait.

Do you air down when driving on the beach? Will narrow profile tires work well for sand flotation? Since you mentioned a specific use where squishy tires can be a big help, you might want to consider that.

Do you air down when driving on the beach? Will narrow profile tires work well for sand flotation? Since you mentioned a specific use where squishy tires can be a big help, you might want to consider that.

Depending on the vehicle. Never in LC or my previous GX460 and 4Runner as never has problems getting even close to be stuck. On other vehicles without proper 4-wheel drive system where I can lock the diff, absolutely like the MDX. As well when stuck in sand airing down get you out very easily. Only problem place for most is entrance to the beach and because of lack of clearance. OBX in NC is the most fun with miles of the beach and wild horses everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom