2 LV Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Couldn't stand it so....

image-2790768385.jpg

image-2012697366.jpg

All the panels and parts are really straight, not a whole lot of rust repair needed.
image-2790768385.jpg
image-2012697366.jpg

bought some body tools and gave it a whirl....wow its hard and I suck. Spent about an hour banging on this dent. Not done obviously, but getting closer.
I'll get better eventually.
IMG_1685.jpg

oooh, that's a tough one eh? Not much room to swing a hammer. Don't be afraid to get unconventional. A block of wood, pry bars, vise-grips.... HighLift maybe :hmm:

need advice.....
Do I cut out the straight tailgate sill and replace on the bent to crap LV or do I just fab new from scratch?

jc71fj40 said:
need advice.....
Do i cut out the straight tailgate sill and replace on the bent to crap lv or do i just fab new from scratch?

image-1423132007.jpg

image-377030871.jpg
image-1423132007.jpg
image-377030871.jpg

There is a ton of detail in that sill, ask me how I know. I just finished this and it was a bi#$%%tch. I would salvage as much original as possible and take tons of measurements and pics. Use lots of Clecos before welding it home. I think I have pics on my thread.

PS, also notice when you cut into it the weaknesses and add metal accordingly. The hinge area is not supported well enough so I beefed it up on the inside.

There is a ton of detail in that sill, ask me how I know. I just finished this and it was a bi#$%%tch. I would salvage as much original as possible and take tons of measurements and pics. Use lots of Clecos before welding it home. I think I have pics on my thread.

PS, also notice when you cut into it the weaknesses and add metal accordingly. The hinge area is not supported well enough so I beefed it up on the inside.

Thanks for the input!

I might incorporate something with a little more ass...im suprised the the weight of that tailgate is actually supported in the stock form.

The other challenge you will have is when you cut off that lower Qtr bottom, you are going to find an incredible amount of rust and extremely detailed pieces of metal. I rebuilt mine exactly as the factory did, but had to hand fabricate every piece. You have to cut the Qrt panel above the block off level you see sticking out the end in your picture.

The donor LV was pretty bad behind that panel. But at the same time I had a hell of a time getting the panel separated from the support. Nothing a sawsall couldn't fix.

image-210714392.jpg

image-1033264535.jpg

Couldn't find all the spot welds ...too much rust, so had to improvise.
image-210714392.jpg
image-1033264535.jpg

got to work on the LV's for a bit.

Removed the rear sill....what a pain!

Also picked up a rear axle with disk brakes.
IMG_2349.jpg
IMG_2350.jpg
IMG_2351.jpg

Next step, get rid of that rust bucket body and start working on the frame. It will be nice to have some room with it gone.

anybody need a huge fuel tank?

34" x 33" x 17" x 11" and extra stout
IMG_2346.jpg

Old rusted red body is gone. I will start tearing apart the body and prep for sandblasting.

image-3666027943.jpg
image-3666027943.jpg
image-2072424870.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom