1HDT Bad Clunk and Vibration: Stranded (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's interesting that some of the Toyotas use an intake butterfly to kill the engine. That would be a great way to prevent runaways if the engine ingests oil or you have a fuel problem!
Yeah had that happen when my HDJ wound up on it's side and the engine sucked oil in through the air box via the PCV line.

If the bearings that were posted earlier are yours, they don't look pounded out to me - but diagnosing things by photos on forum can be sketchy.

If bearings are wearing badly, you will usually see the color of the layers beneath the top coating showing through - often this is copper coloured depending on how the bearing is made.

The only other way to measure this is with any degree of accuracy is to use the proper micrometers. Plastigauge is ok for some things but it is a pretty crude measuring tool when there are more measurements than just oil clearance to check for.

Good find on the rock. I've had similar things happen and it's amazing how much noise and vibration can be transferred through a drivetrain. And bugger it if they didn't camouflage that sucker to match your transfer case.

~John

Well, 50mi test driving in and shes running fine. Better than ever actually. It’s crazy how smooth it feels with the new bearings. I thought there was something wrong at first. Just purring instead of diesel rattle on he prematurely worn bearings.

I’m hoping that’s a good sign and all demons have been exorcised. And all rocks and weird bearings.

So what happened? Jury is still out. Only bad set of bearings ever? This particular crank likes the bespoke sizes listed on the crank/caps? None of the above and these bearings will be toast in another 4000mi? Who knows. Stay tuned for updates as we roll down the overly hot asphalt.

But I am going to pull the bearings in 1500-2000mi (about how far away my shop is from me taking a lazy route back) and check clearances again just to be sure. If they’re off at all, it’s rebuild time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom