1HDFT noisy top end (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys hope all is well.

Just a quick one. I have got a 1HDFT engine in my car I bought not long ago and since I’ve bought it it’s been making a tap tap sound. Originally I thought it was the big end bearings but I had them checked and replaced the old ones were fine with very little wear. I also had my valve clearances checked and they are all in spec. I went too 4 different mechanics each for their own opinion. The first told me it was piston slap.... the second told me it wasn’t piston slap because it doesn’t go away when warm. Basically the 3rd and 4th mechanic told me it’s possibly a noisy injector and also not piston slap. It’s more of a tap sound then a knock sound.. this engine uses no oil and is really good on fuel and blows no smoke from the exhaust. It seems to have plenty of power also. It also (when cold) blows no blow by from the oil cap but when warm it will blow fumes from the oil cap but barley any pressure behind it.... I have just spoken too a mate of mine who suggests it could be a noisey pre comp ?? What ever that is and maybe the head has been taken off previously and they haven’t replaced the pre comps he said ? There is no way for me to find out any history on this vehicle so it’s trial and error for me... I wish I could post a video of the sound but I’m not that tech smart! The sound is similar to some YouTube videos of bad injector knock or rattle !! Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue.

Cheers !

Post this in the Diesel section, more sets of eyes familiar with these engines in there.

Here's a thread that might have some ideas, see if your sound is the same as in the videos posted:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom