1FZFE Pistons/rings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My head is currently at a machine shop getting a valve job and decked.

I got a call from the guy doing the work that there was “a lot” of carbon build up on my valves. He said he wanted to pull the valve seals first, but that the carbon build up could be indicative of rings or cylinder wall wear. My spark plugs that I pulled were white when I pulled them as well. He said it might be time to do a hone and a rering on the engine.

With the head off is there really anyway to test this? I’m gonna kick myself if I put it all back together and she’s burning oil etc. I also didn’t own the truck long enough to know if she was burning any oil or going through oil between oil changes. So that’s annoying.

Not really. All you can do is a visual. If there's still cross hatching in the cylinder bores it's a good indication that things are still OK. But not definitive. The FSM recommends a cylinder rebore and new pistons and rings at 186k mi.

Last edited:
My head is currently at a machine shop getting a valve job and decked.

I got a call from the guy doing the work that there was “a lot” of carbon build up on my valves. He said he wanted to pull the valve seals first, but that the carbon build up could be indicative of rings or cylinder wall wear. My spark plugs that I pulled were white when I pulled them as well. He said it might be time to do a hone and a rering on the engine.

With the head off is there really anyway to test this? I’m gonna kick myself if I put it all back together and she’s burning oil etc. I also didn’t own the truck long enough to know if she was burning any oil or going through oil between oil changes. So that’s annoying.

Compression 316K.jpg

You might also only have oil going down mostly rock hard valve guide seals.

Each vehicle will be different according to its use and care. But mine at 316K still showed cross hatching in all the cylinders and excellent compression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom