1fze 80 a442f shift flare. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone, first post here (go gentle)
Ive got a 1fze 80 series in the uk, has an a442f gearbox with a 2-3 shift flare that i cant seem to rectify. Has had a new line pressure cable, new solenoid set, atf flush, and it still flares…
I did unplug the gearbox ecu and drove it “manually” going through gears, and it doesn't flare..
im scared that my findings will be 3rd gear clutch packs will be done for and ill be looking at a new gearbox/rebuild… but before i go down that route, is there anything else that anyone can suggest? Do the gearbox ecus just give up on them? Is that a thing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks all 🫡

Hello everyone, first post here (go gentle)
Ive got a 1fze 80 series in the uk, has an a442f gearbox with a 2-3 shift flare that i cant seem to rectify. Has had a new line pressure cable, new solenoid set, atf flush, and it still flares…
I did unplug the gearbox ecu and drove it “manually” going through gears, and it doesn't flare..
im scared that my findings will be 3rd gear clutch packs will be done for and ill be looking at a new gearbox/rebuild… but before i go down that route, is there anything else that anyone can suggest? Do the gearbox ecus just give up on them? Is that a thing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks all 🫡
Ultimately it will end up needing a rebuild if it is having shift flares. Since shifting with the manual valve doesn't flare, it may be something gunked up in the valve body, or could be something weird going on with the TCM.

My advice would be to start by disconnecting the battery and connecting the positive and negative cables together to drain all the modules in the car. If the computers had some incorrect learned data, this should clear it up.

I would also add a bottle of LubeGard (black bottle) to the trans fluid. A lot of times the transmissions need extra friction modifier as things wear. Keep in mind, this isn't a fix, but buys you time before the inevitable rebuild.

61910-Black-_small-e1539880622183.jpg

Ultimately it will end up needing a rebuild if it is having shift flares. Since shifting with the manual valve doesn't flare, it may be something gunked up in the valve body, or could be something weird going on with the TCM.

My advice would be to start by disconnecting the battery and connecting the positive and negative cables together to drain all the modules in the car. If the computers had some incorrect learned data, this should clear it up.

I would also add a bottle of LubeGard (black bottle) to the trans fluid. A lot of times the transmissions need extra friction modifier as things wear. Keep in mind, this isn't a fix, but buys you time before the inevitable rebuild.

View attachment 3261568
Appreciate that!! Will get a bottle on order and let you know the results!

Did this begin and then worsen gradually over time? Or did it come about all of a sudden? How many miles on the trans?

This issue is a theme on the A442F—there are some other threads here cronicalling the diagnosis and repair. Some have had luck adjusting the shift linkage cable at the throttle body. Some wound up with wear in the transmission valve body passages.

Good luck. I hope it’s a simple fix. The A442F is a pretty robust, dependable transmission.

Last edited:
Did this begin and then worsen gradually over time? Or did it come about all of a sudden? How many miles on the trans?

This issue is a theme on the A442F—there are some other threads here cronicalling the diagnosis and repair. Some have had luck adjusting the shift linkage cable at the throttle body. Some wound up with wear in the transmission valve body passages.

Good luck. I hope it’s a simple fix. The A442F is a pretty robust, dependable transmission.
I purchased it like it, with a snapped cable, hasn't got any worse, but determined to fix it really. Has had a new cable, solenoids a fluid flush etc etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom