1fz-fe engine knock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the advice!
I just realised the power steering pump doesn't run off a belt on the 1fz!

It's running full synthetic 10w30 with moreys oil stabilizer. Oil was done recently around 100km ago.

I dont know if I mentioned but the rear 2 ignition leads have electrical tape around the stems (previous owner). Was about to order new leads before this.

I'll order a boroscope on ebay but shipping can take weeks here...

I did the screwdriver stethoscope thing and couldn't really hear anything up top which suggests something more sinister in the crank.
With checking the injectors is it ok to give it a rev with 1 unplugged at a time? Theres no noise till about 1500rpm.

Thanks again everyone!

Yes, won't hurt anything, you're cutting the fuel delivery to that cylinder and removing a lot of the load. Hoping to reveal piston slap and determine how many cylinders are involved.

After giving it some time and receiving a very generous offer I have somewhat of a plan.

I'm gonna get it looked at by a trusted mechanic before I pronounce the engine dead.
I then have had an offer from the mechanic to supervise and help me rebuild the engine at his shop, I just need to buy parts!

So the beast will run again, I'm very grateful for the opportunity to learn more about the car.

I called a few places around Australia for rebuild kits but outside of ebay I can't really find full kits. Toyota said they don't have anything and basically can't get anything from Japan at the moment so it looks like I'll be going aftermarket. Before I get too ahead of myself I'll wait and see what the diagnosis is and what I'll need.

My fzfe started knocking in the last couple of days. To start with it sounded like it was a change in the exhaust note (it's been offroad a lot in the just week). Today it was obviously more than that.
My oil pressure dropped and is knocking hard. Sounds similar to the video worse under load.
In sure mine is a big end bearing.

Ok, truck is at the workshop. This weekend I'll be digging into it with a great mechanic and hopefully find the cause!

Not looking good! Will be pulling it apart further this coming weekend.
My only hope is that the crank is ok!

20210815_110636.jpg

20210814_162538.jpg

Is there any more news on this front? I am dealing with a very similar sound and I have changed the tensioners, pulleys, water pump and belts.

Ok. Yeah I think the picture tells me what his problem was tho...looks like the valves been hitting the top of the piston. :/
Ummmmm......you know those are the cutouts in the top of the piston to prevent that, right?

These are not interference engines.

For the pro’s-
I just picked up a buddy’s 97. It has recently developed the dreaded piston slap in #1 and #3. This was diagnosed by a very reputable Toyota engine machine shop. But, is this typically something that can be temp fixed from the bottom end with new bearings or….. can they really run for another 50k-200k miles? I have an LS swap planned for sometime in the next 2 years so hopefully don’t NEED to worry about it. Or I’ll maybe find a donor. Thanks

For the pro’s-
I just picked up a buddy’s 97. It has recently developed the dreaded piston slap in #1 and #3. This was diagnosed by a very reputable Toyota engine machine shop. But, is this typically something that can be temp fixed from the bottom end with new bearings or….. can they really run for another 50k-200k miles? I have an LS swap planned for sometime in the next 2 years so hopefully don’t NEED to worry about it. Or I’ll maybe find a donor. Thanks
Run it 'til she blows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom