1997 White and Tan Collectors Edition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Love at first site. Was looking for a white/tan one with lockers (friend for scale).
2005C864-8515-4F49-8060-CD6181734F19.jpeg
A246DBD7-4B0C-4ACE-B9AB-BA5C3C6FB8F9.jpeg
IMG_1539.jpg

August 10, 2019

Last edited:
After swapping out the rotors and pads I now have a newfound appreciation for this vehicle. The engineering and build quality of this 90s Japanese tank really surprised me. More work needs to be done but I think she’s a keeper

August 28 2019

Looks like you scored a clean rig!

September 16, 2019

Headed out to Utah for a rock climbing trip. First big trip with the 80. Drove from SoCal to SLC in a day, no problems. After climbing in SLC we headed to Indian Creek, a famous climbing destination (some of the best cracks in the world!) and a neighbor to Moab

1A173596-80C0-4FCD-BA45-0D2391DDADAA.jpeg
8A2260A5-D26B-4A37-8F35-4DC0F598CB06.jpeg

B4EAA94D-0570-4398-B661-00B614746273.jpeg

Last edited:
September 18, 2019

During our rest day my homie Jack and myself decided to go check out Canyonlands and while we were there see if we could find an off-road trail. Looking at a couple maps we saw “Elephant Hill” 4x4 trail which is near the Needles section of the park. First time really wheelin the truck, getting used to the weight, wheelbase and power.

Last edited:
September 18, 2019 Part II

Near the tail end of wheeling the truck started to lose power. Started throwing codes related to the ignition and fuel. It was the end of the day so we limped it back to the campsite around 5 miles away, slept and decided to work on it in the morning

Last edited:
September 20, 2019

Checked common issues with fuel spark and air that you would have with a misfire. I actually brought the FSM because it was a longer trip and I was unfamiliar with the vehicle, so I opened that up and tried diagnosing some things from the CEL code. As long as the throttle was more than halfway open or the speed was above 30mph or so the truck performed normally. Weird to me at the time. I had to return to work from Utah, so I decided to drive the truck. Almost all the miles were on +30mph roads and when I was on the highway the truck the ran good. Hundreds of miles had passed, sweat dripping down my neck as worried if I was making a dumb move, I pulled off per usual to the let the 80 cool off and do a once over. It was there I found the culprit.. :idea:

F10075F3-794B-4796-BE53-78518CB2BE92.jpeg

8C48B9B7-6EA7-4E9D-878E-E8BACACB0FED.jpeg
In a dark parking lot I found the issue with a flashlight. A literal shot in the dark I was looking for anything out of the ordinary and boom I saw the intake hose was split. It was not connected at all there are two separate sides, The gap was so tiny but the flashlight was somehow able to pick it up. I patched it up with what I had on hand (duck tape and electrical tape), started up the truck and it reverted back to its old self.

As I’m posting this in hindsight I now know like everyone else how common this issue is and that it is something I could have went over when doing my first inspection after getting the vehicle. However, it might have been from running it on the trail and flexing that brittle rubber and in that case it was simply not a part on my radar of those that are known to fail. Also didn’t know how expensive it was going to be for the new OEM one…

Last edited:
September 25, 2019

I decided to give the engine bay a nice wash as I will had no planned trips for a while and it would help me see if there were any active leaks underneath the crud. I actually found a photo of the motor from first day I saw it and in relation to the post above you can see that it’s really hard to see if the intake tube is cracked but that’s exactly what it looked like when I open the hood and found it cracked with the light.

9637C5DF-A354-4FC3-A5F2-B46013DEA2C5.jpeg
FCF6D7A8-C64B-4E78-97E2-0A9464E5C622.jpeg

Last edited:
That's actually a pretty clean fix. If you arent planning on hitting up a Concours show, I'd keep it as is!

September 25, 2019

I decided to give the engine bay a nice wash as I will had no planned trips for a while and it would help me see if there were any active leaks underneath the crud. I actually found a photo of the motor from first day I saw it and in relation to the post above you can see that it’s really hard to see if the intake tube is cracked but that’s exactly what it looked like when I open the hood and found it cracked with the light.

View attachment 2768174View attachment 2768176
Looks like you're about due for a radiator as well.

Plan on your cooling system soon. As that radiator turns more brown, the sooner failure will happen.

Plan on your cooling system soon. As that radiator turns more brown, the sooner failure will happen.
Interesting thought on the color change, what have you noticed is the main point of failure after the rad changes color? The only thing I have had issues with is stuff getting stuck in the fins/bending them and the tubes getting old/worn.

Yes I’ll have to dig up some more photos but the cooling system gets tackled next. I believe it’s micro cracks in the plastic opening up that make turn radiator look brown. After learning that I forked over the cash for a new one.
44F8B8F3-7016-4FE4-9D79-3BC5623C90C2.jpeg

Interesting thought on the color change, what have you noticed is the main point of failure after the rad changes color? The only thing I have had issues with is stuff getting stuck in the fins/bending them and the tubes getting old/worn.
Literally exploding the top of the radiator.

Mine blew straight across the top from the radiator cap to the drivers side, directly down the center.
Sounded like I blew a tire when it went. The hood jumped about 2" when it happened.

Literally exploding the top of the radiator.

Mine blew straight across the top from the radiator cap to the drivers side, directly down the center.
Sounded like I blew a tire when it went. The hood jumped about 2" when it happened.
Damn, that is no joke! I'll have to be on the lookout. Luckily I have a spare but would rather not use it until I have to. No long trips planned for a little while but this is solid info, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom