Builds 1997 LX450 Ute (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, I boxed the tailgate in (as per last post) and it took me a lot longer than I thought it would. I'm very happy with how strong it is, and the fact that I was able to do it.

What I wasn't happy with is how much my back hurt from leaning over all freaking day.

I needed a table.

I know the right thing to do as a newbie is to learn your welder by welding up a cart and your table, but I don't have the attention span or the motivation for that right now. Later.

I went back to the metal yard and grabbed some scrap 3/16" that looked right. I traced it on some plywood, cut the plywood out, clamped them together and drilled through the plywood (leaving divots in the 3/16") then welded some threaded rod to the sheet.

I threw together the frame with some scrap wood (the :princess: is the carpenter, I stick to metal) and voila:

IMG_3760.JPG

(I knew I saved the bottle opener off of the old grill for a reason!)

My buzzbox, and the free cart I got from Baker Gas for ordering during the holidays:
IMG_3761.JPG

Now this is what I'm talking about!

IMG_3762.JPG

The table is 41" high, which is perfect for us. The :princess: and I are both 6'3" -- no more sore back from messing with stuff!

Back to the rear wall...

Once the tailgate was boxed in on the bottom, I decided to weld it to the hatch.

I closed them together using the latch, made sure it was centered, and tacked it in place.

Then, hours and hours of welding and grinding.

Proof that I'm a newbie: I didn't cover the glass when I first started grinding and welding, so there are a few bits of metal now embedded in it!

I also gave welding up some of the flare holes a go. What a pain.

IMG_3764.JPG

A stitch between the tailgate and hatch... far from great, but I'm learning:
IMG_3763.JPG

Once I had them tacked together, it was time to deal with the opening for the hatch handle:

IMG_3765.JPG
IMG_3767.JPG

As you can see, my free hand/cut method left a little to be desired. Not to worry, I can always add metal!

IMG_3768.JPG

(finally figured out I was chipping my glass :idea: so the cardboard went on)

Scabbed together and ground down a bit:

IMG_3769.JPG

So, I had a rear wall, and it was fairly well boxed in. Not being one to waste time, I threw it up on the cab to see how she looked:

IMG_3771.JPG

Holy cow do I have a lot of work to do to make this look good.

But that's what we're here for!

(the astute observer will notice I welded 3.5 flare holes shut on the tailgate. I'll do the rest later. Maybe.)

A bit of prep work on the floor, and for good measure, some scrap metal with a fiberglass blanket over the fuel lines:

IMG_3770.JPG

And we're tacking!

IMG_3773.JPG
IMG_3774.JPG
IMG_3775.JPG
IMG_3776.JPG

As you may be able to tell from the pictures, the tailgate and hatch were all bent to hell.

Additionally, the floor was not level after being cut at that seam, so there was a lot of mulling and shifting and lining random ribs of metal up with each other before I burned anything in, but it came out looking pretty good.

Lots of work ahead, both inside and out, but forward momentum is on my side. The overall theme of this little project has been "make it work" which is fine by me!

Awesome!!!!!!!!!! Keep the updates coming... Great work so far!

Finally... a medium I'm comfortable with!!

This isn't a great angle, but rest assured, there's a method to this madness:

IMG_3777.JPG

Traced and cut out with a grinder:

IMG_3778.JPG
IMG_3779.JPG

Good enough for me! Let's tack it in:

IMG_3780.JPG

Using the template to trace another one for the passenger side... this will be even because I'll make both sides using the same pieces (in theory!)

IMG_3782.JPG

While the pictures don't show it, there's a series of large dents in that pillar (driver side) that were majorly bondo'd. The body filler went effing everywhere when I hit it with a flap disk:

IMG_3784.JPG

Just a bit of her checkered past. The pillar was a little crinkled (I found one of the rear pillars in the same shape on the inside, crinkled and rusted
IMG_3785.JPG
IMG_3786.JPG
:

Oh well... she's a runner, and is about to be the best Lexus pickup truck in Washington State!

Threw the same sized sheet in on the passenger side, and this is how she was left for that night:

IMG_3790.JPG

IMG_3787.JPG

As you may be able to see in the last post, I tacked a length of 1/2" tube up on the roof. I may or may not use it later, but it's been a helpful reference

IMG_3791.JPG

Which brings me to yesterday (almost caught up here)

I've decided to use some small tube to form the "corners" of the cab in order to have a smooth transition. In this picture, the hatch is leaned back quite a bit from where it will end up.

Some grinder cuts and a rubber mallet = trailer park tactics to bend the tube.

Tacked in:

IMG_3794.JPG

IMG_3795.JPG

And, after lots of cardboard and tape and mulling... I did this:

IMG_3796.JPG
IMG_3797.JPG
IMG_3798.JPG

I don't think the pictures do it justice... I'm quite pleased with myself.

(remember... I didn't know how to weld when I started this, and have no fab experience... I'll take it!)

Once it's welded, ground down, bondo'd and painted, I think it's going to look sharp.

Now everyone is caught up and these updates will come in real time. As I mentioned, I've got tomorrow and all weekend off, so I'm hoping to rally on this thing.

Wait till some of that jute catches on fire while welding!!

:lol:

20 year old jute smells awesome!

;)

Ha. I had to leave the garage for some fresh air.

Just as a FYI, you should put the seats in and see if you have enough space. They go back further then you think.

And being 6'3" (I am too) I certainly wouldn't want any less legroom than 80s offer.

The build is coming along nicely. The fitting and welding is the best part - the endless f***ing grinding is what I dread. Should make a plenty stout Toyota "pickup" when you are all done. Keep the pictures rolling in.

Wait till some of that jute catches on fire while welding!!

:lol:

20 year old jute smells awesome!

;)

Protect jute--noted! I've got another fiberglass blanket somewhere around here... Or I could stop being lazy and finish pulling the carpet!! I owe her a good clean and extra sound proofing anyways.

Just as a FYI, you should put the seats in and see if you have enough space. They go back further then you think.

Yes sir they do! Part of the beauty of using the rear hatch and tailgate (beyond dual walled/sound proofing/OEM glass) is the bit of room you get from the hatch glass.

Here's the DS seat all the way back:

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'll be going to manual seats at least... maybe some heated forester seats. The tan doesn't look too bad with our interiors and the seat heaters are simple enough to wire that I could do it!

Picture shows big honkin electrical seat. The lady has a 37" inseam so her knees contact the dash with these seats in stock form, so I'll be figuring something out.

Just got back from picking up more tube. Time to notch and tack!
image.jpg

image.jpg

Love it! I really like your no plan approach. I would be doing the same thing. I can't put anything in my mind into a drawing or painting but I can pick up tools and make things happen. Keep it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom