Builds 1997 LX450 Ute (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Chopped and welded:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Here's the mockup of what I may do with the top all the way around:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Cleaned up and painted. We'll see how these look tomorrow in the light.

image.jpeg

Nice. I like that look better than the huge basket.

Had time to paint the insides last night, just in time for the snow. Won't be letting things dry overnight for a while, so I'm glad I got this knocked out. It looks so much less beat.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
I still am in awe by the power of the HVAC system in the 80 - way overbuilt which is great - I can only imagine what it can do to a standard cab.

You could probably slow cook a side of beef in one I'd imagine, it produces BTU's that some propane heaters envy.

Replaced the haggard 2x10 tailgate with something that matches a little better. I used scrap from the old sides and some angle iron I had laying around. Pretty happy for 20 mins of work and $0 spent.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I'll cut up some old rubber hose to screw in the ends to quiet her down a bit. It looks way better than this carpentry gem:

image.jpeg

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for spare tire/cargo racks etc.!

Great work - enjoying this build. What's next?

Flipping love this build!

Thanks, everyone! It was about this time last year that I made the decision I was going to do this and bought my welder (having never welded a thing in my life). Fast forward a few weeks and the truck was in my driveway, then a few weeks later it was in pieces!

I've been DD'ing this lately and really enjoying it. I've still got lots of little projects to take care of, and another 80 series I'm tinkering around with, but I enjoy keeping a log of all my little projects on this thread and will continue to do so. Hopefully I'll have more trip pictures throughout this winter!

In the somewhat immediate future will be new tires, as these KM2's have certainly seen better days. I'll need to figure out a solid solution for the spare, get some OBA mounted up and get some more miles on this thing.

Yohavos, do you know what model Volvo this seat was out of? How has it been working for you?

It was out of an 850 wagon. I ended up going with manual seats from a 94 that had been re-covered with leather instead of using the volvo seats.

The Volvo seat was a little tall but would have been manageable. I had to massage the body a bit with a hammer to make it work and didn't feel like dealing with all that and wiring up the seat heaters (which wouldn't have been too bad, heated headrests would have been neat, too).

-Mike

I suppose I'm at that point in my build thread that I just post pictures of Betty, out and about :).

Christmas was spent on the west side of the state, away from both my cruisers. I got home to snow and have been working on some other stuff (see sig) but decided to run Betty for a bit today. These KM2's are old, about 50% tread, and are absolutely terrible on hard pack and ice. The autolocker doesn't help either.

I know this is 80-series tech blasphemy, but I don't like auto lockers in 80's and will be moving to selectables front and rear after Betty gets some tires.

IMG_5553.JPG
IMG_5554.JPG
IMG_5555.JPG
IMG_5558.JPG
IMG_5559.JPG

What auto locker are you running?

What auto locker are you running?

Aussie locker.

I will say it's nice and quiet and hooks up--it's just not for me.

That being said, if someone were looking for one, I'd recommend the Aussie. It's been doing its job without complaint for the better part of a decade in this truck.

Awesome build! I was wondering if you ever installed the sound deadener? Did you bedline over it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom