1997 LX 450 Aftermarket Catalytic Converter CARB Woes... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NorCalDoug

problems solved daily...
Threads
I'm not sure if I'm the only one or not, but let me share with everyone what I'm dealing with now...

In late November 2009, I had an aftermarket catalytic converter installed on my 1997 LX 450. The shop I went to didn't have anything for the 1997 model, but they did have one which was approved for a 1996 LX 450. I figured it'd be the same, so I had them install it.

Some time between 2009 and 2016, the brand/model of aftermarket cat I have installed on my 80 was formally "rescinded" by the California Air Resources Board (CARB). When a brand/model of cat is rescinded, it's no longer approved for sale in California. Those who had the cats installed already are "grandfathered" in...which is cool. But CARB doesn't have the 1997 LX 450 identified as having the same engine type as the 1996 LX 450. Now, we all know that this is nonsense...and the engines are identical, but according to the online system the smog shops use, there is no 1997 LX 450 - the listing jumps from 1996 on one line, then 1998 on the next line for the brand of cat I have installed.

I learned much of this when I went to have my 80 smogged earlier this month. The tech did a visual inspection first and explained the issue to me and told me that he wouldn't be able to pass my rig because he couldn't pull it up on the online system.

So...I scheduled an appointment with the California Smog Referee. After they ran a smog check and performed a visual inspection, they told me pretty much the same thing. My cat is not approved and it will need to be replaced in order to pass smog. They couldn't pull it up on their system either. I was instructed by them to either have an OEM cat installed or try to find an aftermarket manufacturer for the cat.

On my way home from the Smog Referee, I stopped by the Lexus dealership to see if the OEM cat might still be available. I was hoping that they'd tell me that Toyota/Lexus discontinued that part...but no dice. It's still available. Even worse news for me...the part that I need is attached to the Y-pipe...and the price? $2,069.42. Yep. 2-grand. I stopped by the local Toyota dealership, which happened to be just down the road...their price was pretty much the same - actually $250 more, $2,317.75. These are the "list" prices. Is there someone else who provides OEM parts at a discounted price these days (I'm assuming C-Dan and Beno are no longer slinging parts for Toyota)?

I haven't started searching for a CARB approved aftermarket supplier of cats for the 1997 LX 450 yet...that's next on my list to do.

I'm also wondering if I might be able to get a used cat installed? Anyone have first-hand experience with installing a used cat?

EDIT: I just wanted to add...the results of the smog check performed by the Smog Referee...PASS for all emissions levels...

Last edited:
Beno still sells parts.

BTW, this is type of thing that would drive me bananas about living in CA. Nice place, but sheesh, what a hassle!
This is becoming a total hassle. I really don't want to have to shell out 2 grand for a part that I don't technically need because someone forgot to include a model on a spreadsheet...

This is becoming a total hassle. I really don't want to have to shell out 2 grand for a part that I don't technically need because someone forgot to include a model on a spreadsheet...

I work for a state agency in another state(DOT). I would keep trying to find someone that can understand what you are trying to tell them. I don't deal with these specific issues with my job but I can tell you that there is a lot of grey area when it comes to the way things are handled. The person you spoke to has a supervisor. I would call the guy back and see if he is willing to listen to what you have to say(maybe bring the part numbers from Toyota to show that the cats were the same, year over year). If he won't listen to you, ask to speak with his supervisor. He really can't say no to that, unless things are even more goofy out there than they appear to be already. You can always call your local representative, often times that's what it takes to get anywhere with us bureaucrat types.

Good luck!

It seems like that should be a pretty cut-and-dried appeal to get that straightened out. But nothing here is ever cut-and-dried.

:bang:

I work for a state agency in another state(DOT). I would keep trying to find someone that can understand what you are trying to tell them. I don't deal with these specific issues with my job but I can tell you that there is a lot of grey area when it comes to the way things are handled. The person you spoke to has a supervisor. I would call the guy back and see if he is willing to listen to what you have to say(maybe bring the part numbers from Toyota to show that the cats were the same, year over year). If he won't listen to you, ask to speak with his supervisor. He really can't say no to that, unless things are even more goofy out there than they appear to be already. You can always call your local representative, often times that's what it takes to get anywhere with us bureaucrat types.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice! The part numbers are the same across the board. I've just started this process...and haven't started climbing the bureaucratic food chain yet...but may need to soon. I'll start by trying to work within their process (just so they don't get to keep pointing me back to their process), but will escalate once I start getting no where...

It seems like that should be a pretty cut-and-dried appeal to get that straightened out. But nothing here is ever cut-and-dried.

:bang:
Not when government agencies and CARB are involved...
...if I only knew someone on the inside... :hmm:

I didn't say where to move!
Besides, moving sounds easier than telling CARB that there was an LX450 produced in 1997.

I didn't say where to move!
Besides, moving sounds easier than telling CARB that there was an LX450 produced in 1997.
I thought that was an invitation to move from CA to CO!

Actually...selling the rig to someone outside CA might be the easiest thing...one that I really don't want to have to do, but there's no way in hell that I'm shelling out $2k to replace something that works perfectly fine only because some pencil pusher noticed that a year was missing between '96 and '98...

Thanks for the advice! The part numbers are the same across the board. I've just started this process...and haven't started climbing the bureaucratic food chain yet...but may need to soon. I'll start by trying to work within their process (just so they don't get to keep pointing me back to their process), but will escalate once I start getting no where...
Yep, just stay nice. Often times people on the lower end of the ladder just do what they are told because there is safety in it. When you get a bit past them, it's usually a matter of weighing out what the risks of straying from the company line would be. In your case, there is no risk. This is just a clerical error that you happened to get caught up in. Someone will understand this and grant you some type of permit(it may be revocable, but that is just another hedge against risk) and you will be on your way.

You could always get a used one from a mud member or from Cruiseryard!

I've heard stories from Georg and Marlin about this. Can't say I'm jealous one bit. But hey that's CAL-I-forn-I-A said in my Dr Dre/2pac voice....

I currently have 2 complete oem exhausts from 97s if you're interested D

You could always get a used one from a mud member or from Cruiseryard!
I've considered this too. I'm not sure of the legality of doing this in Cali, however...I'll need to do some research to see if installing a used cat is acceptable.

I've heard stories from Georg and Marlin about this. Can't say I'm jealous one bit. But hey that's CAL-I-forn-I-A said in my Dr Dre/2pac voice....

I currently have 2 complete oem exhausts from 97s if you're interested D
Definitely an odd situation to be in.
I'll let you know if I can use your oem exhausts. Thanks! :cheers:

What if your cats got stolen like my neighbor's did right here in front of his house?

I've considered this too. I'm not sure of the legality of doing this in Cali, however...

If it passes, who's to say that wasnt your old cat that you have now put back on? If they manage to screw you on the aftermarket cat, which I hope doesn't happen, how could you not tell a white lie? I'd go to the mattresses for that 2000 since it's a large portion of the cars value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom