Build 1997 FZJ80 "No more big projects" Build

Member Builds and Stories

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Really nice build, I've been copying your homework...

Where'd you end up sticking the MCM/OBD2 leg of the harness?
 
Really nice build, I've been copying your homework...

Where'd you end up sticking the MCM/OBD2 leg of the harness?
All the wiring lives behind the behind the glovebox or next to it where the factory amp and ECU used to reside.
 
Managed to install the Rostra cruise control today- easy plug n play and the stalk doesn’t look too bad although it’s on the wrong side of the column.

IMG_5894.webp
 
The original windshield had accumulated a lot of pits and chips. Actually quite amazed that it’s been in there this long. Decided to pull it out for a fresh one, and I knew there was a little rust showing on the bottom of the A pillar next to the gasket. I was worried it would be a rust hole to China, but was pleased to find it was only surface pitting. Light sanding with a dremel cleaned it all up. I treated it with OsPho and then blew in three coats of epoxy with an airbrush. Much easier than I had expected.

IMG_5896.webp


IMG_5897.webp


IMG_5898.webp
 
Getting close to being ready for SAS 10. I need to figure out where to put my spare tire. Running Toyo Open Country AT3 in 315/70/17, which is a 34.4" diameter. A quick MUD search shows 34.25" is about the biggest one can squeeze underneath.
If cost were no object, I'd put a Slee bumper out back and call it good, but when I visited them last month it sounded like they won't have any bumpers ready until at least mid-August. Both of the MUD vendors who have made a kit to mount a tire carrier to the factory bumper/crossmember are currently out of production. I don't realistically have time to fabricate a carrier myself. I guess my most realistic options are to try to get a Dissent bumper or just strap the spare down in the back of the rig.
Any other suggestions?
 
Brief update/SAS 10 After Action Report:
One of the goals of this build was to have rig that was reliable, comfortable and powerful enough to drive to Colorado for a wheeling trip and back. We had a blast at SAS 8 with the freshly built LSJ40, but the 200 is not the greatest tow rig when you're going up and down Rocky Mountain Passes. My son and I took the 80 to SAS 10 and back with only two minor mechanical failures:
1. Loss of throttle pedal. We drove the first day to Colorado Springs and had a fabulous meal at my favorite German restaurant. On the way back to the hotel, The Check Engine light came on and I had no pedal response. I idled it into a parking lot and pulled an error code for the accelerator pedal signal. My first thought was a problem with the cruise control, so I simply unplugged the cruise (which goes between the pedal and the ECU) and we were up and running again. About 5 minutes downtime and no parts or tools required.

2. After making it all the way to Ouray and doing several amazing trails (Mineral, Poughkeepsie, Yankee Boy and finally Black Bear), my son tells me the brakes aren't working right as we are pulling into Telluride. I took the wheel and realized we had a rock hard pedal, but the truck stopped fine. Power brake booster had failed. Fortunately, I had already bought a new OEM unit with the intention of swapping it out at some point. Unfortunately, it was sitting in my home office 850 miles away. We bailed out of the planned trip up Imogene and took the paved roads back to camp. After he loaded up his FJ45, @tornadoalleycruiser let me cannibalize his brake booster. That's when I learned that a 40 series booster will work in an 80 if you turn it upside down!



By the end of the week we were tired and homesick, so we drove straight through to KC in about 14 hours with one bathroom break and only two stops for gas! To be honest, the low fuel light was on when I was about five miles from home but we didn't even start the drive with a full tank. We only made about 15mpg on the last tank when I was keeping it at 82-87mph. I was very happy with the performance of the rig in just about every way.

Next up, a few things to sort to get this thing dialed in.
1. Debug the cruise control. It may just be that I picked the wrong ground source for the cruise control, as Mitch says that's a big deal.
2. Lockers. We did very well with the Toyo ATs, considering we didn't air down that much but I'd like the ability to do some more challenging trails.
3. Armor. This thing needs some skid plates under it and at least a rear tire carrier if not a full rear bumper.
4. Quieter exhaust. It was pretty annoying on the uphill climb from KC to Colorado Springs but surprisingly quiet on the downhill drive home.

IMG_2752.webp


DSCF0643.webp


IMG_4260.webp
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom