1997 80 series slow build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Oct 28, 2025
Threads
3
Messages
43
Location
Pennsylvania
Going to start a new thread for my 80 just so I can look back someday and see where i started at.

This is my new to me 240k mile 29 year old 80 series
IMG_7176.webp

It's a sick truck I love it, but it's quite rusty as with most seem to be
IMG_7204.webp

But before my dad passed away me and him drove to Ohio and bought a frame for his 2uzfe- 80series chassis- fj40 body project.
IMG_7206.webp
Sadly he never got to see it all the way through and it's not nearly far enough along for me to be able to finish it properly. But it does get me a wonderful rust free chassis albeit with a bit of welding oem body mounts back on. After getting the truck home tho and getting a chance to really take inventory of what all I have and what all I'm going to need it's really quite the list, and everything on my want list is going to have to wait while I give it all the bits It requires. I have to sort some things out till I can get the other frame into my garage and start chipping away at cleaning it up. Paint, bushings, suspension, axle rebuilds fresh hardware etc etc. I'm not going for a full restoration i just want something nice that I can drive wherever whenever I want and not stress about what's going to fall off, break or wear out.

IMG_7202.webp
It did come already very well thought out and quite honestly completely overkill, two batteries, two remote oil filters, York compressor, some sick external jumper cables, separate fuse blocks, trans temp gauges and more

IMG_7203.webp

A very nice interior too although I will probably end up replacing the majority of it from a odc sort of standpoint.

Anyway that's the start, posts will be slow but I'm gonna try to work on it a little bit every day even if it's only one bolt
 
As I start to clean the garage to get the frame roller inside I need to pick out what suspension I'd like to go with, I'm currently across what seem to be the three big options. Ome, Ironman, or dobinsons. I'm only after a 2in lift preferably a heavy duty one because of bumpers, winch, roof rack, drawers, tent etc. which it seems dobinsons doesn't offer a heavy kit. Does anyone have any suggestions or preferences across the three of them?
 
John,

Congrats on the acquisition. It is also good you are going into it with your eye open in reference to the rust. There are so many people purchasing rigs with rust and IMO not really understand the undertaking they just committed to.

The rig does have a lot going for it and just from the limited pictures it has a lot of the now "old school" mods that were all over the board 10-15 years ago (e.g., Subaru hood scoop, the non-US grab bar, york, etc.). Not sure I have ever seen a brush bar integrated into what looks like old school arb side steps though.

Look forward to seeing your progress and the posts of the continuing growing "To Do" list. My .02 for the suspension would be the Dobinson and I would suggest reaching out to @crikeymike for suggestions that would meet your needs.
 
As I start to clean the garage to get the frame roller inside I need to pick out what suspension I'd like to go with, I'm currently across what seem to be the three big options. Ome, Ironman, or dobinsons. I'm only after a 2in lift preferably a heavy duty one because of bumpers, winch, roof rack, drawers, tent etc. which it seems dobinsons doesn't offer a heavy kit. Does anyone have any suggestions or preferences across the three of them?
This kit builder page shows all of the different options, from light to heavy, and all heights in between 0-3.5". We don't do just "light" or "heavy" kits because weights vary front to rear easily on these, and there are 30+ different coils made for these 80's from Dobinsons.

 
This kit builder page shows all of the different options, from light to heavy, and all heights in between 0-3.5". We don't do just "light" or "heavy" kits because weights vary front to rear easily on these, and there are 30+ different coils made for these 80's from Dobinsons.

I'll have to look into that more! It seems I may of glossed over that section a bit... it doesn't help that I don't know exactly what it is that I'm looking for yet either but I appreciate the info!

John,

Congrats on the acquisition. It is also good you are going into it with your eye open in reference to the rust. There are so many people purchasing rigs with rust and IMO not really understand the undertaking they just committed to.

The rig does have a lot going for it and just from the limited pictures it has a lot of the now "old school" mods that were all over the board 10-15 years ago (e.g., Subaru hood scoop, the non-US grab bar, york, etc.). Not sure I have ever seen a brush bar integrated into what looks like old school arb side steps though.

Look forward to seeing your progress and the posts of the continuing growing "To Do" list. My .02 for the suspension would be the Dobinson and I would suggest reaching out to @crikeymike for suggestions that would meet your needs.
Rust seems to be a never ending issue on the Toyotas, i keep a sharp eye on my Tacoma making sure nothing gets all too far.

As for all the fancy changes half the things you pointed out i really had no idea about, I'll have to do more looking into them to see what I can learn like the hood scoop and grab bar. The side steps to the bumper were not the best install but appear to of worked as intended, it is a shame the rust has uninstalled them. The bumper will get changed out for something a bit different to hold my big winch on the shelf
 
This kit builder page shows all of the different options, from light to heavy, and all heights in between 0-3.5". We don't do just "light" or "heavy" kits because weights vary front to rear easily on these, and there are 30+ different coils made for these 80's from Dobinsons.

I priced it out and come just shy of 1900$ which comparing to other kits is really not a bad deal, do you know if I can get the springs and such in black and not in crazy colors?

That's a very dangerous website to introduce to me, a lot of things on there that were on my list of things that I wanted 😭
 
John,

Mike should be able to help with the black springs but IIRC black isn't available in all the sizes. I ordered black as I didn't want the turquoise (my truck is maroon). I did have to wait a bit but wasn't in a hurry anyways. I would also suggest if you aren't looking for them right now wait for one of the sales and grab them (decent discount is seen around Black Friday and Christmas as well as other popular holidays).
 
Any color options are shown in the drop down menus on the page.
 
John,

Mike should be able to help with the black springs but IIRC black isn't available in all the sizes. I ordered black as I didn't want the turquoise (my truck is maroon). I did have to wait a bit but wasn't in a hurry anyways. I would also suggest if you aren't looking for them right now wait for one of the sales and grab them (decent discount is seen around Black Friday and Christmas as well as other popular holidays).
I'm not in a huge rush to get them, the current reason of not having it on the road is the frame, so the faster I get a frame under it the faster I have it on the road and then can slowly pick away at stuff on it afterwards.
Cruiser corp is 6-8 weeks on ome kits. I'm probably 3-4 weeks out till I can bolt suspension to my frame. I'd just like to do it sooner than later on my parts order so I can have it waiting on me.

I did see that some options on the website are available in black, i honestly don't mind just spraying black over the teal with the understanding that it will eventually flake off but having an already black truck I'd love to keep it all black entirely.

Also nice to meet you Mike, I assume you own exit offroad? Very nice site very easy to navigate!
 
John,

I and I imagine many others on the site are more than welcome to help you spend your money.

On top of liking to help others this is a nice distraction as I lay low for a bit on mine till the wife cools down over what I have spent so far this years. :rofl:

She doesn't follow the thought process of whatever I am spending on the 80 is far cheaper than what I would spend on a newer less built vehicle that may or may not be around in 10 years.
 
It's not a open checkbook just yet but being 21 with no real responsibilities and a job with unlimited overtime I don't mind "wasting" a bit to make it nice.
I'd like to build it "right" in that definition Ive sort of decided on using the delta radius arms vs plates or bushings.
In that same thing tho I have a tendency of "well while I'm at it" and I can't do everything I want to but I'd like to try to replace every wear item I come across especially the ones that are significantly easier to replace while the body is off.
Things like axle rebuilds can wait till they actual have to be done
 
Back
Top Bottom