Builds 1996 Land Cruiser Build - "Kronk" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Weekend trip was a success. Over 500 miles and 3 mountain passes. Kronk did great. Got a little bit of off-roading in, and this was my first real trip where I got to do that with the Cruiser. I have to say - what a pleasure it is to drive this thing. I still have quite a bit to work on, but this is EXACTLY why I built this thing. We set camp the night before the climb, had dinner, then crawled in and set a screen up on the dash and watched the classic: Back to the Future. So. Much. Fun.

During the trip, I had 4 different people comment on the Cruiser. I had one guy pull into my camp in a built 100 series just to talk Cruisers. Fun trip!

1600694111308.png

1600694244200.png

Ever since I bought Kronk, the windows have been slow and don't really work when it is cold outside. With winter coming, I knew that I wanted to remedy that. Also, the outer window moulding on all of the windows was beat to hell. So, I did some work yesterday and replaced all of the window runs, outer moulding, and replaced the front window regulators and motors with Aisin units from RockAuto.

1602338336258.png

1602338366719.png

1602338444116.png

Did some more work today. I have been having some intermittent starting issues. Based on some troubleshooting, my guess was the starter was going south. So, I replaced it and also replaced a few other PM type things including the EFI relay, circuit opening relay, fuel pump relay, and fusible links. Now I have a good supply of spares. Later, if I have some time I will rebuild the original starter.

1602466709952.png

1602466736237.png

I finished the drawers for the sleeping platform. I still have to paint things, but it works.

1604677046804.png

I also ordered new wheels and tires, as my current wheels are really old (made in 2014) and showing some signs of age that I don't like. I decided to just go with 35s for now. So I ordered 4 35X12.5X17 TrXus MTs mounted on some 69 series Pro-Comp wheels. For the spare, I just ordered a single 315/75/16 el cheapo MT to mount on the stock rim.

I received the spare tire (ordered from Discount tire), but my wheels/tires combo (ordered from 4wheel parts), somehow got "lost". So now I am in sort of limbo trying to get a claim generated. :rolleyes:

I will be curious to hear about those window regulators and how they work, thinking about doing the same.

So far, so good. It is nice to have windows that function well even when it gets cold. Coldest it has been so far this year is in the teens, and they worked just fine then. Time will tell how well they hold up.

No work to update on. I have been driving Kronk most days of the week back and forth to work with no issues. We had a snowstorm a while back - it does really well in the snow. The 35" TrXus are pretty nice, but I am looking forward to when I upgrade to 4.88s. That will have to wait until later. Next up is the suspension. I just placed an order for new Delta VS arms and panhard bracket. I'll find some time in the coming days to piece together the rest of the components for the suspension upgrade.

We also just purchased a new house that has a much larger garage. We don't move in until mid-January, but it is going to be nice having more space to work on the rigs. Stoke level elevated.

Yeah, I have all of those - you can see one of the keychains in the picture of my upper intake. I just decided to also remove the EGR VSV from under the intake plenum. I wasn't sure if unplugging that connector would cause a code. I did some more digging and found a post that seems to indicate that it should be fine.
Confused...For a 1996 FZJ80...do i use the Model 02 or 01 keychain. Get no response from Wits End. Have called and emailed. Kind of disappointed. Even was non direct on the question so they did not feel entrapped.

Confused...For a 1996 FZJ80...do i use the Model 02 or 01 keychain. Get no response from Wits End. Have called and emailed. Kind of disappointed. Even was non direct on the question so they did not feel entrapped.
You need both 01 and 02 for the 96

Last edited:
Ever since I bought Kronk, the windows have been slow and don't really work when it is cold outside. With winter coming, I knew that I wanted to remedy that. Also, the outer window moulding on all of the windows was beat to hell. So, I did some work yesterday and replaced all of the window runs, outer moulding, and replaced the front window regulators and motors with Aisin units from RockAuto.

View attachment 2461163
View attachment 2461164

View attachment 2461165
So, did the regulators do the trick?

Not much to update on. I have most of the components here and ready for my suspension upgrade. Ran into a snafu with the rear control arms, however. The lower rears I ordered are not in stock, and it doesn't appear to be resolved any time soon. I am in the process of canceling that order - but the problem is it seems that any of the lower rears that I am interested in ordering are out of stock. Dobinson, LandTank, you name it. We'll see how it plays out. Doesn't matter much right now as we just moved into a new house. I am really stoked, as the new garage is a lot bigger than my previous setup. However, it will be a while before I can find some time to work on Kronk, anyway. I have to get all of the stuff moved out of the garage first. 😆

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom