Trade 1994 HZJ75 (Troop Carrier) for Luxury? Sedan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's a long story, but the short of it is the right thing for me to do is exchange the Troopie for a vehicle more appropriate for comfortably transporting an elderly person around in. (This doesn't mean I need a Grand Marquis or a Sprinter with a wheelchair lift, just a comfy car that I wouldn't mind DD'ing around town.)

Price adjustment: $18,000.

The truck:

• 1994 Toyota Land Cruiser 75 series Troop Carrier
  • 1HZ inline 6 cylinder naturally aspirated diesel
  • H55 5 speed manual transmission
  • Factory Limited Slip rear axle
  • Leaf springs all around and they appear to have a 2in lift over stock
  • Factory snorkle with OEM head. I also have a donaldson 10" for it.
  • National Luna dual battery setup with 2 Odyssey batteries up front and a group 31 Sears/Odyssey battery in the rear.
  • Custom fuse box in rear
  • Pioneer cd player with aux input
  • 4 custom bucket seats with custom frames/mounts by Safari Pacific, this allows a pass through from the front to the back of the rig. Also gives stadium style seating to the rear folks so they can see out the front & sides easily. The middle row is currently removed to facilitate my sleeping platform, but will be included and can be easily reinstalled.
  • Triple layer soundproof & insulation done to floor/roof/walls
  • Custom rear storage
  • Custom rear bumper with swingout for the tire (The propane tank is no longer on that, I trimmed it down to just the tire. Pic forthcoming, but it's pretty easy to imagine)
  • 3 Rigid LED light bars, 2x6in & 1x10in
  • 33×10.5x15in BFG AT’s
Current mileage is about 503k km (315,000 miles) and it runs like a champ. I drive this more than my 80, mostly because of the dumb grin I get on my face when I do.

In addition to the slough of work completed on this truck before I purchased it just a few short months ago, I have:

• Had a new head gasket installed by Torfab (Toyota Off-Road Fabrication | Home)
  • Installed 2 new Sylvania headlights - much nicer than stock
  • Installed new OEM weather stripping on the front doors
  • Replaced the clutch master cylinder
  • Fitted an interior rear door panel with cutout for storage
  • Installed New Front/Rear springs (OME Dakar 2.5" Lift Springs)
  • Installed a New Steering Dampener
  • Integrated a/SuperWinch 8500# Winch + Viking Synthetic Line into the bumper... nice and clean.

Vehicle is located near Tacoma, WA.

This vehicle is titled and registered in WA state. The title specifically states that it is a Diesel.

Here's the thread I started on it. Not a build thread, but has some pics and info: https://forum.ih8mud.com/wa-south-sound-cruisers/542661-new-cruiser-warning-troopie-content.html

Here's the ad I picked this baby up from. Lance was a heck of a seller and the truck is still full of spare parts he compiled, waiting to be bolted on. This also has a little more background on the truck: https://forum.ih8mud.com/vehicles-t...-series-troopcarrier-diesel-5sp-18-000-a.html

Here is the gallery that 1leglance had up, transferred to my picasa: https://picasaweb.google.com/109725376440203109478/Troopy

New gallery showing the rust, the underside, and some updated pictures of her with new wheels/tires: https://picasaweb.google.com/109725376440203109478/UpdatedTroopiePIcs?authuser=0&feat=directlink

And I'll attach a bunch of my more recent pictures...

Feel free to PM or e-mail.

mike@michaelpkelly.net

-Mike
IMG_0279.jpg
IMG_0285.jpg
IMG_0275.jpg

Last edited:
For those curious about the importance of the VIN plate, it's that it shows a 17 digit VIN that conforms to U.S. vehicle standards. This should make it a no brainer for insurance and registration in the U.S.

After owning two different Oz rigs that DID NOT have a 17 digit VIN this is a welcomed addition.

Yep, insurance and registration was painless up here. I can't speak to other states, but this vehicle has been previously titled and registered in Florida and Arizona before being registered here in Washington.

For those curious about the importance of the VIN plate, it's that it shows a 17 digit VIN that conforms to U.S. vehicle standards. This should make it a no brainer for insurance and registration in the U.S.

After owning two different Oz rigs that DID NOT have a 17 digit VIN this is a welcomed addition.

I realize every State has its on quirks however having owned 4 Australian imports
( none of which had 17 digit VIN's ) I never had an issue with registration. As long as the paperwork and data plate match, most States will be all to glad to take your registration money.:)

I realize every State has its on quirks however having owned 4 Australian imports
( none of which had 17 digit VIN's ) I never had an issue with registration. As long as the paperwork and data plate match, most States will be all to glad to take your registration money.:)

Then be glad you live in your state. Bump for a cool ride.

Last edited:
Back from camping, what a spectacular weekend. Nothing like sitting in the Troopie eating a sandwich while everyone else is getting more gas :)

A few shots:
IMG_0364.jpg
IMG_0365.jpg
IMG_0367.jpg

If I didn't already have 5 cruisers I'd be all over this rig. :lol:

On second though, would you be interested in a slightly lifted 80 with a CA legal Vortec 5.7 plus cash?!

Georg

If I didn't already have 5 cruisers I'd be all over this rig. :lol:

On second though, would you be interested in a slightly lifted 80 with a CA legal Vortec 5.7 plus cash?!

Georg

Oh man... I would love an 80 with a vortec in it, but I'm not sure that's a step in the responsible direction :)

After this weekend I really don't want to get rid of this, but it's probably the right thing to do.

PM's replied.

I'm putting this in a holding pattern until I replace the springs, apparently I had a little too much fun camping last weekend :)

Gonna give Cruiser Outfitters a call this afternoon. I'm really leaning towards keeping this, I had a hard time letting the tech drive this to the alignment machine this morning, not sure how I'm gonna handle someone else driving this away for good...

:cheers:
image-4140289344.jpg

Lots done in the past few weeks... still not motivated to move it, but figured I would update this to keep my options open.

• New outer tie rod end installed
  • Installed new OME Dakar springs front/rear, new steering dampener
  • Removed front swaybar
  • Fabricated a winch plate/mount etc.
  • Installed a brand new SuperWinch 8500# winch
  • Purchased/installed a new set of 15" Pro Comp steelies with 2.5" BS
  • Purchased/installed a set of 1.5" SpiderTrax spacers to clear the new steelies and widen the stance - much more stable now.
IMG_0573.jpg
IMG_0574.jpg
IMG_0561.jpg

Last edited:
Few of the winch process... ended up tucking it in nicely.
IMG_0587.jpg
IMG_0590.jpg
IMG_0593.jpg

where in WA are u? I'm in BC n' wouldn't mind a road trip to look at the right rig.

I am interested in this. I'm having trouble understanding how a vehicle less than 25 years old was imported into the states. Would you be willing to ship( at buyers expense of course)

X2 did you bring this in the country in pieces and reassemble or is this a proffittscruisers conversion of some kind?

I'm not familiar with all the specifics, but this vehicle was imported through Florida. It has been titled there, in Arizona, and here in Washington.

There are a few of these floating around that were brought in by the same guy out of Miami.

Dang. That thing is sweet. Good luck unless you want to trade is for an 07 Ford Fusion AWD

Thanks man, not really looking for any domestic trades unless they happen to be a 68 or 69 Mustang, but that's a different story altogether.

Mike

Thanks man, not really looking for any domestic trades unless they happen to be a 68 or 69 Mustang, but that's a different story altogether.

Not really looking to rip you off either. That thing is sick and I hope that it goes for what you're asking.

I am interested in this. I'm having trouble understanding how a vehicle less than 25 years old was imported into the states. Would you be willing to ship( at buyers expense of course)

Sorry I missed this...

I would entertain the idea of shipping but would prefer not to if possible. There are a lot of spare parts and what not that many shipping companies wouldn't want me throwing inside, even if secured.

This is based on my very limited experience shipping vehicles, so I may be way off base, but it's a concern of mine nonetheless.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom