1994 Code 71 EGR Engine Stalls at a Stop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SacFJ80

Threads
I have a 1994 FJ80 with 212K miles, that's had a 71 code for a little while. The vehicle is new to me, but I know that the valve control solenoid was recently replaced, along with the hoses that attach to it, it doesn't look like any other EGR system parts have been replaced. Replacing EGR Valve or Temp sensor comes to mind and I thought I'd read in a different thread that a valve stuck in the open position from carbon build up could cause this issue. It just started to stall when at a stop and I wanted to know if anyone has a recommendation on good next steps?

The egr valve could very well be stuck open.

Thank you both for the feedback. I will look into both of these. Is it likely to be able to see cracks in the plenum gasket without removing the the upper intake manifold?

Thank you both for the feedback. I will look into both of these. Is it likely to be able to see cracks in the plenum gasket without removing the the upper intake manifold?
He was referring to the black plastic tube that connects the air cleaner box to the throttle body. They can crack in the ribbed area.

If it is cracked you can use the self adhering silicone tape to seal it up until you get a replacement. Any air leaks past the air meter will mess up the air fuel ratio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom