1993 Land Cruiser Idle issues after a bath (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello mudders,

I'm new to posting on mud but I've been a lurker for a long time, and I'm a frequent contributor on TacomaWorld. Hoping that your guys' knowledge can help me find a solution to my issue. I'm pretty seasoned when it comes to working on Yotas but the Land Cruiser is newer to me, I got it last year in damn near like new condition and haven't had any problems until about two days ago.

I noticed a couple days ago when going out for a drive that my idle was insanely low in and out of gear (350-450), but smooth nonetheless, so I brushed it off and drove. My mind just said "eh it's an old OBDI computer, probably just farting around with it's idle speed" since it had changed idles before. Though since it was almost a year to the day that I've owned it I'd go and do a mini tune up and clean.

So a day later I set about that, bought a can of Gunk and hit up the local spray it yourself to give the engine bay a once over (do this to my Taco regularly without issue). It was dusty and had a couple little oil spots so for the most part I was just misting over things with the wand farther away, I hit the oil spots a little closer to get it all off but that was lower on the head. My job completed, all the gunk was rinsed off. I went to start it and all I was greeted with was the usual starter noises but it didn't fire up. I figured "aw hell, must be water in the dizzy" so I cleaned the rest if the truck to move it some time to dry out (engine was still a bit warm so most of this was steaming off pretty fast).

Finished cleaning the truck and what luck it fired up, gave me a couple dead misfires and I was on my way. I thought it would be smart to run a while considering the hard start so I went for a drive around the town with no issues and no more misfires.

Fast forward to today and it has sat alall night and I'm ready to go get lunch. Fires up easy as always and idles okay but as soon as I reach the end if my driveway just the most faint misfire hits. Get to the first stoplight and it's shuddering noticable at idle so I decide to book it back home and go inspect.

I find all my vacuum lines look decent, no cracks, no water or condensation in the dizzy, plug wires are seated well, no water in the first three plug holes, IAC and TPS plugs are dry, EGR lines are hooked up, intake pipe is free of cracks. But damn if the thing just won't idle nicely, stars out okay but gets worse and worse until it feels like it is one one or two cyls. I decided to just let it go and see what happened hoping it would throw a misfire code for me to chase or something, instead it throws a code for the obvious (Code 26 - running rich), yeah no s***, misfiring will cause that haha. So that dead ended all while it's doing it's best impression of a paint shaker. If I rev it up it acts pretty normal, maybe a hint of misfire as it gets up past 1k but pretty normal, and you can drive it just fine. I drove it around today long enough for it to start acting normal even at idle. But if I leave it off for 30 mins or so and come back it won't like to idle again.

So mud that's my story, I'm not sure where else to look, everything seems normal if you're driving it, but cold, warm, hot starts ain't right and it takes varying amounts of time running around to get the idle normal again. Another thing of note, I noticed a wire that looked aftermarket and traced it to my #1 injector, looks like someone replaced just that one wire at some point and didn't bother putting it in the engine loom, the stock wiring is actually hiding in the stock loom still. That's the only thing that even looks remotely non stock. Please help me save my daily driver, I don't want to daily the Tacoma and I have a decent chunk of change invested in this cruiser that I love.

Take the cover off the spark plug galley and blow out the plugs with some compressed air. You can pull the plug caps as well and blow those out too. Usually the rough idle will correct after all the water has dissipated, but it may take days. If it persists past that, I would pop the distributor open next and make sure you don't have any water or condensation in the cap.

What year is the rig?

Take the cover off the spark plug galley and blow out the plugs with some compressed air. You can pull the plug caps as well and blow those out too. Usually the rough idle will correct after all the water has dissipated, but it may take days. If it persists past that, I would pop the distributor open next and make sure you don't have any water or condensation in the cap.

I've opened and cleaned the distributor, looked really clean actually, no tracking, no condensation and the cap and rotor wear was very minimal (only 10k or so on it). Maybe I'll check the back three plug holes, I've checked the first three already and they were dry.

Open the dizzy and dry it out.

Already did, no sure what else could be going on in there

just let it dry out. keep an eye on your voltage while youre driving...

That's what I've been doing, I'll keep driving it and hope all the symptoms go away this week. Voltage has been solid luckily.

Guess I should have read the thread (and not had a few drinks).

I'd suggest going back over all wires/connections to make sure everything is seated correctly and that the water didn't find a split wire.

What month 93? The early ecu was crap and would cause all kinda issues.

Make sure the connector at the air meter is good. Mine had some broken plastic on the back of the connector and water was able to get in to the backside of the wires causing poor, rough idle and even quit running on me for a while. Definitely after cleaning the engine, and also after some deep puddles.

So I ran out of dielectric grease but I wanted to check the afm and O2 connections, all three seemed water free but I disconnected and reconnected them for good measure. Still idling goofy, sort of a bouncy lopey type idle, though it hasn't warmed up all the way yet. Feels like a misfire when it is doing it because there is a choppyness to it but I suppose it could just be a really bouncy idle that threatens to get low enough to kill it.

Got another code 26 on my way to work, i'd imagine it is running rich from the misfire. I think I'm going to do plugs and wires for good measure although both are less than 10K old. Just doesn't make sense unless water somehow fouled a plug wire or something

Well, the cruiser has me stumped at the moment, only thing that crossed my mind as a maybe is the EGR is stuck open, it would cause rough running at low RPM and on a not so hot engine. But it doesn't make much sense given the sequence of events, unless it was just a serendipitous failure. I'll try disconnecting the vacuum modulator, not sure how else I can check it.

... Feels like a misfire when it is doing it because there is a choppyness to it but I suppose it could just be a really bouncy idle that threatens to get low enough to kill it.

Check the TPS connection. For whatever reason it's the only critical one under the hood that is not weather sealed, have seen plenty of them wet, causing idle and running problems. If it's wet, dry and apply silicone grease to prevent future entertainment.

That will teach you for washing your cruiser.

Check the TPS connection. For whatever reason it's the only critical one under the hood that is not weather sealed, have seen plenty of them wet, causing idle and running problems. If it's wet, dry and apply silicone grease to prevent future entertainment.

I'll give it another once over for sure, and I'll get some more grease too. Cool to see another local mud member, I'm in chandler too, but most people know Phoenix so I put that in the bio.

That will teach you for washing your cruiser.
I guess so, just wanted to do a tuneup without crap falling onto stuff. Didn't realize it was so much more fragile than my old Tacoma haha. I was banking on those years of solid heritage to protect me

Think I might have a lead on what's up with the ol cruiser. There is an old harness repair where it was scorched on the EGR, I've gotta figure that water got in there an disturbed something. So I'll open it all up and have a look soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom