1993 80 Series No CEL, No start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I've got a 1993 LC that will crank over but won't start. I've replaced the fuseible link, the terminals, checked the EFI relay and fuse (all good) and still won't start. There is NO CEL when I turn the ignition key on.

Any thoughts? What's going on? What else should I look for?

Check to see if the ECU has power...

Main wiring harness by the EGR? Hard to visually tell the condition. Maybe nudge it? Common cooked problem over the years. Sorry not much help.

So the plot has thickened. On a hunch, I disconnected the MAF. When I turn the key to "on" the CEL came on, and it fired right up!

Granted, as soon as I hit the peddle it dies right away BUT at least I've got it narrowed down!

So the plot has thickened. On a hunch, I disconnected the MAF. When I turn the key to "on" the CEL came on, and it fired right up!

Granted, as soon as I hit the peddle it dies right away BUT at least I've got it narrowed down!
Have you done anything the MAF? Seems it's soldered in place even though the screws lead you to believe you can just unplug. Some have been able to repair but reading around here seems to be a tad tricky to get right.

The only thing I did to the MAF was unplug the wiring harness that runs to it in order to move it and take out the airbox to clean out all the nuts a squirrel had deposited in it. However, it's worth commenting that the first time I went to "unplug it," I unscrewed the two screws on either side of the plug. Maybe I boogered something up there?

Yes, that's exactly what happened. The contacts for the connector are soldered in place, and the connector is held to the MAF (technically a VAF - Vane Air Flow - on your 1993) by those screws you removed. So when you then tugged on the connector it broke the solder joints inside the VAF. If you're skilled at soldering it may be fixable, otherwise you need a replacement. There are several threads with pictures of this, so just do a little searching to learn more.

EDIT: Here's a couple threads with pictures:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/had-to-touch-the-screws-on-the-maf-with-pictures.361401/

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/vaf-screw-up.333368/

Last edited:
Yep, sounds like you found the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom