Had to touch the screws on the MAF (with pictures) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I unscrewed the screws instead of trying to figure out how the connector actually came off first. Now car starts and runs 2 secs and shuts off. Like everyone else I was cleaning my intake part etc.

At least my throttle body is already super clean and my intake hose has no cracks in it and is in pretty flexible shape.. and surprise air filter in great shape.

Got the lid off the MAF and took pics of the connections.. only problem is I can't see any obvious disconnections from the solder on the three prong things which are shown in the threads I found on this problem. Or maybe I am dumb don't know haha. I was just comparing my pics to the ones in a thread where the guy redid his solder on the 3 prong connectors

Oddly enough I read all the FAQs and newbie stuff and don't recall coming upon this dreaded possibility.. my bad.

Can anyone see any obvious disconnects with the solder in my pics??? thanks

Oldies 012.jpg

Oldies 013.jpg

Oldies 014.jpg

Thanks for any input! I am still kicking myself
Oldies 012.jpg
Oldies 013.jpg
Oldies 014.jpg

Peel those little tinfoil things off the 3 connectors then undo the screws that started it all. If you gently wiggle the connector youll see what was disconnected. Theres 3 prongs that will need soldering, one is obscured by another wire.

Good luck.

D

Yes I found the screw up threads after searching when it happened.
I realize what I have to do to possibly fix.. will update sometime this week until I can get a soldering iron etc.

Well got my MAF back in and works great... not even any idle issues and the truck revs smooth as butter now where before it would feel rough revving up the powerband once it got past like 2500 rpm.

I didn't have my own solder iron so I paid my local shop $23 to do it for me and apparently they did a good job.

Saved me $700 boy am I relieved and will never touch those screws again since I know the proper way to take off the darn thing.

Now I can get a new head unit in there instead

Here is to a good day

:cheers:,

23 bucks, I would totally have someone who can actually solder take care of that for me :)

Can messing with this cause the car not to start?
One can only assume you raise the question out of mere curiosity while browsing the deep archives, right? we applaud your commitment to learning.

If it was me with the 93 94 VAF, I'd immediately cease and desist, remove the intact VAF, and ship it off to a reputable repair place like Bavarian Restorations that can properly repair those flaky now broken contacts on the PCB inside the unit. Just my $0.02.

One can only assume you raise the question out of mere curiosity while browsing the deep archives, right? we applaud your commitment to learning.
yes an no, i was back tracking everything i touched when putting things back together that could cause a no spark/start. lol but i have been doing my research !

If it was me with the 93 94 VAF, I'd immediately cease and desist, remove the intact VAF, and ship it off to a reputable repair place like Bavarian Restorations that can properly repair those flaky now broken contacts on the PCB inside the unit. Just my $0.02.
But has there been any feedback on how well Bavarian restorations repair service has fixed with the problem. I’ve only read that people sent their vafm to them with no results posted. Is there any codes after they’re repair or have they mastered the repair to the vafm’s. Would be great if there is a good repair service.

I have a 94 unit in the works at Bavarian and will be able to confirm within the next 30-ish days. I do recall reading repaired OEM units back from Bavarian working, but never recall reading an aftermarket VAF functioning properly. Barring death, hospitalization, institutionalization or arrest I'll post what happens.

Edit - I scroll down a few threads and @Desert Dino in 2018 says a reman unit from China was perfect.

Last edited:
Just for anyone's reference the restored VAF unit for my 94 I just got back from Bavarian Restorations functions perfectly. No issues no CEL truck runs absolutely great.

I previously bought two cheapo ebay units and one from the SC ebay vendor none of which worked to any degree.

Fourth time lucky and I'm so happy to have a working backup VAF. Thanks Bavarian Restorations!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom