1993 3x Locked Budget Restoration - Ranch to Road Worthy - Advice Welcomed!

• Thread starter Beauski100
  • Start date
  • Watchers 13
mudgudgeon

mudgudgeon

SILVER Star
Engine bay overall looks pretty good. Looks like new rubber hoses on the engine PCV etc, and in your shot from under the manifold, vac hoses look good

It has silicone hoses on heater valve and shït clamps on those hoses that you should have on the radar to change out at some point

Looks like possibly some weeping around injector seals on the fuel rail?? Injector seal that is visible looks new though.
100% agree on the comment on the charcoal canister causing fuel smell

20211113 234517

LandLocked93

LandLocked93

SILVER Star
I have no idea what it would be worth if I tried to sell it.
Well...lol not trying to encourage the idea at all but given your response confirming the code (+)...
with working lockers (+)
and rebuilt engine (+++)
@175kmi (+++)
even with the Packers advert paint
and a good interior cleaning and creaming (leather)
Minimum $15k on Craigs.

Maybe close to $25k on BaT with resolved paint and interior.
Sounds crazy I know but feel like we've seen less go for more.

Beauski100

Beauski100

Well...lol not trying to encourage the idea at all but given your response confirming the code (+)...
with working lockers (+)
and rebuilt engine (+++)
@175kmi (+++)
even with the Packers advert paint
and a good interior cleaning and creaming (leather)
Minimum $15k on Craigs.

Maybe close to $25k on BaT with resolved paint and interior.
Sounds crazy I know but feel like we've seen less go for more.
Let’s keep that here. Or my wife will want to list it immediately 😂. That being said, anyone reading this with $15k. Message me!

Beauski100

Beauski100

60F46892 985F 464B 9F74 079B2F773871
95DC40F1 DE61 4433 9F86 D69CECD400DA
Tonight the plan was to pull the throttle body and upper manifold and inspect the injectors, but look i what I found along the way. I’m a newb and learning as I go… what causes this sludge in the manifold?

LandLocked93

LandLocked93

SILVER Star
View attachment 2841201 … what causes this sludge in the manifold?
'Emissions return standards' as imposed upon the 1FZ in NA models specifically.
Give it a good cleaning, to include the small passageways for vacuum hoses, and install a catch can.
I use a Lowes Kobalt compressed air 'liquid separator' on the hose between PVC valve and intake manifold. It's lasted a couple years so far. (not a DD).
There are other 'cans' from which to choose of course.
IMG 20200810 173200047

edit: FYI, on the particular model pictured, be sure to silicone/FIPG/RTV the valve at the bottom of the carbonate bowl completely inoperative. It can open on vacuum and you don't want that to happen.

Last edited:
gummycarbs

gummycarbs

what causes this sludge in the manifold?
Totally normal. You just need to clean it out every one or two hundred thousand miles. Your upper intake will likely have compacted carbon in it. I soaked mine in hot water and a gallon of Simple Green for around four hours, running a scrub brush through the passages every now and then. Don't forget about it, as Simple Green will eventually eat aluminum.

Check the IAC passages in the throttle body, too. They get filled with carbon.

The 1FZ-FE is like:

5ujqw0

D

donemilio21

For Paint: If it is regular bedliner or rhino liner, you can try CitrisStrip paint/varnish remover. Difficulty is to keep that thing on. If it was on a truck bed, you can pour on the bed, cover with plastic and let it eat the paint off over a day or two, it will turn white/bubbly and be ready to get scrapped off.
I don't know how you could do that for vertical body parts though. Maybe remove everything first ?

PNWTreeOctopus

PNWTreeOctopus

SILVER Star
View attachment 2837647Alright here we go. After I shut off the engine I could smell gas in the engine bay. Upon initial inspection it looks like it could be leaking from the delivery pipe / injectors? Impossible to see under there. Slid my phone through and snapped a few pictures.

It doesn’t seem to run rough, so i wonder if
It could also be from a return line?

I have never tried to really worked on an engine before. But this has me excited to jump in and learn!
Its been said before but you need to inspect the Charcoal Canister. The procedure is in the FSM and its pretty straight forward. Your tank will also pressurize if its plugged up/ non functional, and it can be a pretty dramatic hiss. There are a few solutions if its not operating correctly to replace or repair.

I have no suggestions for paint, its pretty exciting! Did the PO give any explination as to why yellow on green?

SerbCruiser

SerbCruiser

@Beauski100 its been a month.. what's the status on this baby? Holiday hangover?? :santa::cheers: