1991 hilux no start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello I recently picked up a 1991 toyota hilux with the 2l-te engine. And it hasn't started since its been cold. Checked flow through air filter. Bypassed the glow plug relay. Changed oil so it's brand new. Brand new batteries. Cleaned the posts. Anything else ? Looks like the previous owner changed the glow plus aswell

Does it turn over? Test the glow plug rail for volts? Try lighting a fire under her the old russian way.

Hi, hold a test light or voltmeter on the rail or on one of the glow plug tip and get someone to turn on the key,you should see power or around 10 volts(approx),in about 10 seconds you will hear a click and the second stage glow voltage will come in at about 6 v,then in about 15 or 20 seconds another click and no more voltage.
If no power at all use a wire at least 10 gauge to power the glow plug bar for 10 to 15 second and try starting it.
If it starts then your glow system is not working,troubleshoot the problem or install a wilson switch.
If it doesn't ,check glowplugs resistance.

Its the metal bar or bus that supplies power to the glowplugs.

Why was the glow plug system modified or disconnected?
On other Toyota diesels you can attach a 12v jumper straight from + to the glow plug rail for 5-10 seconds, then start it.

Just don't hold it on for longer than that.

I got it with a hard start problem. Buddy didn't really care for it. So I'm going over the whole thing seeing what it needs. Thanks ! I'll let you guys know how it goes !

Alright so I haven't tried the jumper yet. I pulled the plugs out and replaced them with ngk plugs and same thing cranks and cranks so I got my volt meter on and 0v tried it with a test light and same thing. Fuses are fine aswell. Looked at the rain and cleaned it aswell. When I also took the plugs out I noticed they weren't damp from previously trying I would expect them to be a little damp. I have a new primer on its way. And then I'll try the jumper. Where does the power come from to supply the rail ? As I checked the relay.

I'm waiting on my primer but what I don't get is that it ran great one day then I went to start it the next day and nothing happened.

hmmm? I have seen this symptom before and it was the timing belt on 2lt. It sat for 10 years, i bought it from a guy that got it a work trade form another dude. Anyways.... It ran fine for the guy selling it too me until i came to look at it. We couldn't fire it up so i gave him 900 bucks and towed it home with signed set of pink slips. The timing belt sheared all the teath off around the crank, thus not turning the belt and no fuel delivery. Take the valve cover off and crank it over, have a friend see if the cam is turning.

If u want to check if the cam is turning,just take the oil fill cap off,its a lot more work to take the valve cover off.

If you want to check if fuel is getting to the injectors,just crack loose the nut holding the fuel line to the injectors and crank the engine,

Its pointless spending money on parts until you know whether its a fuel or glow problem.

FYI: This is an interference engine. I have heard this is a common problem for trucks that have been sitting for a while. The Timing belt gets stiff and usually shears the teeth off the belt when shutting the engine down. I was all sketched out that the valves might have colided with the pistons but I was lucky. The timing belt is cheap (less than $40) Setting the timing is also super easy but you have to follow the book. The hardest part is getting the harmonic balancer off. I just made my own puller with angle iron.

p.s. I had to turn the crank and cam by hand to get the timing marks to align. I did feel the crank lock up on me, must have been interfering. gently work the cam and crank until the cam and crank sprockets line up to their indicator lines. Aswell with the IP. Slip on the timing belt, tensioner.

bLAH BLAH BLAH Follow the book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom