1991 HDJ 81 Climate control issue, (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently had a dash fire that burnt out ,most of the center dash ( Radio, AC box, heater box ducting and all wiring running to the center dash) . Luckily I had parted out an HDJ 81 last summer and John from Rad cruiser sold me all the plastic I had thrown out!!.. After having wired in all new wire harness tails back to the main harness running under the windshield ALMOST everything works. I am left with one issue, that's the climate control. Pressing auto and moving temp control varies the Fan speed from high to low and moves the water valve correctly, but no lights come on in the speed selection switch LO to HI. In fact pressing any speed stops the fan entirely. The other issue is similar, the Vent control buttons move the duct work motors properly, but no lights come on to indicates the position, No lights come on for any button Auto, Vents, etc. ( The back lighting lights do come on when head lamps on ) I have changed both the Climate control Module , and the climate control selector module , with no change. So ?? what exactly drives the lights and what does the Lo to Hi fans speed switch do, I have looked for a wiring diagram but have found nothing that details these interconnections. Is there another module that controls the fan that I have not found. Any assistance or directions for a diagram/schematic would be most welcome.

Well, no replies to this post, HOWEVER good news none the less. A Toyota tech friend of mine was able to get me the detailed drawings we needed. I found that although we spliced in over 100 wires due to the dash Fire, we managed to mix up two wires, A yellow and yellow with a white a tracer. ( let it be told .. these two wires are very similar to 53 Yr old eyes) One yel is a 12V always on , the other is sense wire that goes to ground when you select Lo ,Med , HI, of course this switch up caused the tracks to burn out of the Climate control selector box in dash. I was abel to repair all those traces and all is working 100 %

Well, no replies to this post, HOWEVER good news none the less. A Toyota tech friend of mine was able to get me the detailed drawings we needed. I found that although we spliced in over 100 wires due to the dash Fire, we managed to mix up two wires, A yellow and yellow with a white a tracer. ( let it be told .. these two wires are very similar to 53 Yr old eyes) One yel is a 12V always on , the other is sense wire that goes to ground when you select Lo ,Med , HI, of course this switch up caused the tracks to burn out of the Climate control selector box in dash. I was abel to repair all those traces and all is working 100 %
Hey wow, glad you found the culprit.
My heater stopped working after I took the ice box out to replace the expansion valve. No matter what position the water valve is - cold air. Not so much an issue here in Houston at the moment but once I take her to the mountains in central america later this year I will freeze.
Mine is a 91 LHD HDJ81 . Is there a cable I may have clipped for a duct motor? The hose into the heat exchanger is hot

Thanks and happy holidays!

- Ro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom