1991 3FE FJ80 not Cranking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have searched this fairly well, but the unique symptoms of this situation mean I can't just go off the situations of others to narrow mine down.

Last week I was moving the cruiser from the driveway and it cranked over normally once and then completely died, no key buzzer, no power locks, the only thing I had is the door ajar light that would go out when I attempted to crank. I tried to jump it off and it cranked very slowly, still no start. I put it on the trickle charger over night, it started no problem. Turned it right back off. Wouldn't start again 30min later. Battery is showing 12.6V, voltage does not drop when cranking

Battery cables connections could be internally corroded and not allowing current to flow. Replace those old ground connections to body & fram, also positive cable to started.
I replace those on my 91 and have had no problems.
Battery voltage of 12.6 is good but if current cant flow you no go.

That wouldn't explain why it started after an all night trickle charge and not off of a jumper cable though would it?

If it was either a ground issue or positive cable issue then the trickle charger would have zero effect, the jumper cables would have been an imstant solution. What makes me curious was when it first happened how it cranked normally and then acted almost lile a fuse blew.

Have someone put a multimeter on the battery posts while cranking, and then on the battery terminals. Chances are one of those voltages will be very low during cranking, even if the battery at idle is 12.6V

How old is the battery? I would pull the battery out and take it to an Interstate Batteries or similar. Have them check it.

Battery doesn't have the date marked on it, or it rubbed off. The month/year sticker is there but there are no discernible markings on it. I'm pullingit today and bringing it to Autozone.

That's a good bet.

More history on your truck too. How long have you owned it?

Not long, less than 6 months. It also has some weird security system in it that disables the truck when this little card thing is removed, I've been meaning to pull it but just haven't gotten around to it.

Just a bit of info from my end. I've owned 6 80s. 19 Land Cruisers. One of the first things I do is replace the battery if I don't know the age or history of it. I've seen some crazy $hit with Batteries. Fairly cheap and easy.

Whatever you do dont buy a battery from the suck zone spend a little more and get a interstate or a napa

Last edited:
Buy an Interstate Batteries battery. They are solid quality and fairly easy to work with.

Don't spend the money on an AGM. They are not worth it unless you plan on rolling your 80...

One more, Interstate (at least in OKC) sells blems any size for about 40 bucks. I've gotten several that were even the green top Interstates. 5 year life is what I usually see.

Just a bit of info from my end. I've owned 6 80s. 19 Land Cruisers. One of the first things I do is replace the battery if I don't know the age or history of it. I've seen some crazy $hit with Batteries. Fairly cheap and easy.
Along with the fusible links...

Along with the fusible links...

Yes. Always!! And keep a new spare in the glove compartment. I don't subscribe to the "save the old one for a spare" philosophy some use. If it warranted replacing I don't want to depend on it in an emergency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom