1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1990 lj78

Discussion in '70-Series Tech' started by Pete B, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Pete B

Pete B

HI, new to forum, just purchased a 1990 LJ78g, needs a bit of work and currently has a top speed of 45kph, and is showing a code 12 so from what I'very read I have quite a challenge ahead of me, but I'm sure it will be worth it as its one he'll of a machine. Photos to follow.

Located in the woods in northern Saskatchewan, Canada

2. GTSSportCoupe

GTSSportCoupe

I think that code has to do with the pick-up sensor on top of the injection pump. If the timing control valve (bottom back of injection pump) can't achieve the desired timing, this will produce an error at the ECU. I don't think your sensor is actually the problem, or the engine probably would not be running. If the injection timing is way out it would significantly reduce your power and give you the severe lack of power you are seeing.

Things I'd look for would be timing belt worn out and skipped a tooth. Injection pump contaminated with water. Injection pump contaminated with sediment or other media.

You can drain the injection pump and 'flush' it out by removing the timing control valve on the bottom back of the injection pump.

Pull the timing belt cover off to inspect the belt.

Good luck.

3. Pete B

Pete B

4. Pete B

Pete B

Thanks for the info, I'll check that next.

5. GTSSportCoupe

GTSSportCoupe

Download the manuals linked to in this thread: Ideas for improving the 2LTE. The first one posted (Denso injection pump manual) explains how these diesel engines work. Will help you understand a lot about it which will help you troubleshoot.

I'm happy to help as much as I can. I've learned a lot about these motors of the years.

Oh, and I found a good description of how to pull the codes yourself: 2.4LTE Fault Codes

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  6. Pete B

Pete B

OK checked the timing, everything is spot on, I have changed the crank sensor and no change, the problem is electrical as I've put the flow control valve ground wire directly to earth and she does Rev up. I have also wiggled the wires behind the glove box, still no better. Anyone got any info on the timer control valve, resistance, removal Etc?

7. Pete B

Pete B

IMG_4511.jpg

GTSSportCoupe and JimmyPrado like this.

Tags: