Builds 1990 Hilux LN106

Discussion in '95-older Toyota Truck Tech' started by eknomf, Sep 14, 2018.

1. eknomf

eknomf

I'm starting a thread to document the build of my RHD Ln106 Hilux. This truck has been in Canada about 10 years and I am its third North American owner. I picked it up this spring from a guy who clearly loved it but didn't have time for tinkering and the truck showed it. For example, it had a terrible knocking noise when I bought it that you couldn't think past, but it turned out to just be worn bushings to mount the air box.

Previously I had a FJ60 that I swapped and turboed 3B into. I sold that a few years back and had a camperized Mitsubishi Delica l300 for a while. I had to move on from the Delica as it only had two seats and I needed a family hauler, which the Hilux is perfect for. After the Delica experience I am happy to be back in a Toyota.

The specs are:
    Factory solid axle
    3L 2.8 liter NA diesel
    5 speed
    4.30 gears
    Crew cab, 4' box
    250,000 km
    27" 1st gen BFG ATs on original suspension.
    Factory mechanical bell in the cluster that dings over 100km/hr.

When I picked it up it had the following issues:
    -Injection pump needed a rebuild and was leaking diesel badly
    -Unknown history on timing belt. The 3L is an interference engine, and needs the belt changed every 100k km or 10 years.
    -Fuel tank seemed to only fill to 2/3 and seemed to build pressure. (pressure build up fixed with new vented gas cap, turns out the gauge just reads low and this is a common problem)
    -Rear diff has bearing play in the pinion bearings and leaks out the pinion seal
    -Some minor rust around the windshield frame, causing a leak into the front left footwell.
    -Radiator leaking from the seam.
    -Other minor issues as can be expected for this age of truck.

My plans are to build it into a DD capable of the moderate trails, etc. we have here on Vancouver Island.

Currently my build plan:
    - Baseline it (injection pump and timing belt done)
    - Turbo the engine with a factory Toyota setup off a 2L-T engine.
    -Upgrade the radiator capacity to keep it cool once turboed. (done)
    -Build a stainless straight exhaust out of 2.5" mandrel bent tube.
    -Replace worn 4.30 rear with a 4.30 elocker in an Ifs width pickup rear axle.
    -Rebuild front axle and upgrade front to ifs hubs so I can run 16" ifs wheels.
    -2"ish suspension lift.
    -Tall skinny tires, currently leaning towards 235/85r16 Cooper STT pros.
    -Address rust as needed
    -Enough amour to avoid smashing up the body.

My time is very limited at the moment due to our baby, but I will start documenting my progress here. It might take a year or two to knock off the list.

Here it is shortly after I got it:

[​IMG]

Upgraded rad with a larger 3 row TQ core:
    [​IMG]

Rebuilt injection pump. I had a shop do this and the timing belt because I didn't have the time.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    Box Rocket, jgranthevagrant and msahr like this.
  2. msahr

msahr

Media:
    Albums:
    I like it! Factory solid axle! :cheers:

3. jgranthevagrant

jgranthevagrant

Nice. Where are you sourcing the 4:30 E-locker?

4. eknomf

eknomf

Found one on Craigslist that the guy had already pulled out of a 4runner (99 limited auto I think) and was going to put in the front of his crawler. The price was right so I got it picked up sight unseen by a buddy who was on the mainland about ($160 in ferries away...). Hoping everything is as described, gotta pick it up soon.

I am currently researching how to best install it into an IFS rear leaf sprung housing so I can get it all setup off the truck and then swap it in. My current understanding is that that the pickup (86-95) IFS rear housing (leaf sprung) is about 14mm narrower (58") than the 4runner IFS rear (coil sprung, 58.5"), and the elocker has marginal axle shaft engagement with the stock axle shafts of a given housing/shaft combo, but the ideal combo is the ifs rear leaf sprung housing with the ifs rear coil sprung axles shafts (which are 7 mm longer, providing full engagement into the elocker). Anyone have experience with this and the best setup?

jgranthevagrant likes this.
  5. phrogg4evr

phrogg4evr Don't think I won't cut you GOLD Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I love those old double cab Hilux. I was going to being one back from Japan but they wanted way too much money for it.

6. jgranthevagrant

jgranthevagrant

Cool. Let us know how that goes. I'm looking for one too. Prices have been pretty high, and I want 4:56 gears.

7. Pacer

Pacer SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.