1990 Hilux... Flat deck or fix skanky box?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

joseywales

Renaissance Redneck
Threads
Hey guys. I just picked up a 1990 Xtracab that needs a bit of work done on the body. The frame is totally solid, and mechanically it's great. I'm going to do some weld in rockers to repair the small amount of rust there, but I'm torn on what to do in the rear. The box looks repairable, but it had a drop in bedliner in it which has led to a bunch of holes. I will be putting this up for sale eventually so I want to do what is best bang for buck. I can either fix up the exterior of the box and then just do fibreglass and a rubber bed mat, or I can build a nice flat deck. If YOU were looking at buying a truck like this, would you rather see an "ok" box, or a nice new solid flat deck?

It really depends on how clean and cool the flat bed is. I prefer a bed or box as you call it, over a flat bed any day. I like being able to toss things in the back and haul stuff around. Plus I like the look most.

I agree 100%, but I'm starting to think that this bed/box is a bit too far gone. And any deck I build will be very clean and cool. It would be more utility oriented, but streamlined and solid. I'm not going to put a crawler cage on it.

Depends a bit where you are. You can get a pretty clean rust free box in California. Even colour matched. I drove down from Canada to get one. Combined with camping and hiking in the Sierras, it was a good trip.

Best bang for the buck is probably to just tape over the holes and spray it with bedliner. ;)

Best bang for the buck is probably to just tape over the holes and spray it with bedliner. ;)

Uh, no. I'm trying to make the truck NICER! That is a great way to keep the po-po off your back temporarily though!

Depends a bit where you are. You can get a pretty clean rust free box in California. Even colour matched. I drove down from Canada to get one. Combined with camping and hiking in the Sierras, it was a good trip.

I'm in Whiterock, and going to Cali at the end of March. What did your rust free box set you back? And how long ago? Anything even remotely local is over $1200 if it's in good shape.

I'm in Whiterock, and going to Cali at the end of March. What did your rust free box set you back? And how long ago? Anything even remotely local is over $1200 if it's in good shape.
Yes, I gave up finding one here that was rust free and a colour match. I got one that was a colour match in Sacramento for $400. U.S dollars were at par when I got it, about 2. 5 years ago. No rust at all, but some dents. I scratch and dent everything when I go out in B.C so I did not care about the dents. Sacramento place was called Rancho something. I can look it up if you can't find it. I have also been to most Pick nPulls in Washington, Oregon and quite a few in California. They would have the best price, but you would have to get there fast. If you go, you should pull all your bolts, gas filler screws etc beforehand, to make install easier. Or haul it all the way back up here. Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks J, I'm going to just build a deck for now and have a solid rust free truck. It won't take me long to put that together, and then in the mean time I can shop around for a good bed.

Sounds good. The place I got mine is called Rancho. Mostly Toyota recycler. You could also check out Oregon. I find Washington to be fairly rusty. Not as bad as Canada, but not worth the time and effort of the border. Let us know when you get the deck done and I will drive down to Roca Blanca for a look. I work in Surrey.

Yeah, I'll post a pic or two when there's more to see. I'm done the basic frame now, but I had to go buy an oxy-acetylene rig yesterday to torch off the bed bolts. Got it from a 75 year old English machinest who just sold his 18 acres in south langley. He's got an awesome lathe and a mill left if you know anyone who needs one. Once I get the box off I can get some mounts done, do up a headache rack/light bar and some low side rails and have it ready for paint. I might try to find some utility boxes for under the deck behind the cab too.

There's a few spots nearby where beer is sold, so when your in the area you can check it out. I've been meaning to meet up with JP (BC and Alta Toyo tire rep) as he lives right near me and has a built a Taco I'd like to see. We could have a mini Toyota fest...

I've been away for a long road trip (4500 miles), so haven't been on here in a while. This is how she sits as of now. I have a couple of spots of rust to fix in the rockers, and then it will be looking great!
image.jpg1_zpsvoprxkvk.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom