For Sale 1987 HJ60 Classic Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TOYOTA LAND CRUISER
HJ60 DIESEL CLASSIC RESTORATION - FOR SALE

image.jpg

The 60 series Toyota Land Cruiser was produced by the Toyota Motor Company from 1980 to 1990. The 60 Series was a step up in comfort and refinement from the FJ55 model that preceded it. The iconic 60 series is recognized around the world and revered for its off-road capability, practicality and long term reliability. In the US the FJ60 came with a 6 cylinder gasoline engine, while diesel engine variants, such as the BJ60 (4 cylinder) and HJ60 (6 cylinder) diesel, were never offered in the US market.

Offered for sale - is this beautiful Night Blue colored HJ60 equipped with a smooth running 4.0 liter, 2H diesel engine coupled to a 4 speed A440 automatic transmission, this example also comes equipped with optional air conditioning which is fully functional and cold.

The following summarizes the thorough and extensive restoration of this legendary classic 60 series Land Cruiser.

Background
• Vehicle was originally purchased in Vancouver, BC Canada at Downtown Toyota in May of 1987 (includes the original purchaser's warranty documentation).
• This Land Cruiser had been exceptionally well maintained, which is why it was selected for a restoration in 2009.
• Althought the restoration originally started in 2009, delays ensued and the project was restarted in February 2015 -- since then a comprehensive 6 month 'frame off' restoration was undertaken and completed in August, 2015 - the objective was to restore this classic Land Cruiser with 'better than new' attention to detail.

Body
• The project started with a thorough body repair of the rear quarter sections beginning at the rear of the rocker panels all the way through the rear wheel arches and quarter panels -- where required non restorable sections were replaced with high quality Japanese (JDM) vehicle sections.
• The repair process of the body also included small sections at the bottom of both “A “ pillars and both rear inner wheel wells involving the rear seat mount backing plate area.
• The cowl sides and the underside body were primed with Rust Bullet Automotive - all body joint seams were treated with urethane body seam sealer.
• The radiator support was replaced with a rust free part, primed in Rust Bullet, new urethane seam sealer applied and top coated in body colour - new OEM body mounts were used in the installation.
• The grille and headlight frames were prepped and repainted.
• Passenger’s front and rear doors, rear lift gate and tail gate were replaced with rust free parts and both front fenders were removed and repaired.
• With the body removed from the chassis, the underside of the body was cleaned, prepped, seam sealed and then coated with epoxy bed liner.
• All wiring and components were removed from the firewall prior to prepping and painting the firewall in body colour.
• The body was then reinstalled on a temporary chassis, the fenders, doors, hood and all other body parts were reassembled and carefully aligned prior to being shipped off for paint.
• The body shop removed all the body panels including the doors and windshield for final finishing and paint - at completion a new windshield was installed.
• The inside of the rocker panels have been treated with Pro-Form wax base rust prevention solution.
• The inside of the doors were treated with Rust Check rust prevention fluid.
• The Mudflap’s were replaced with new OEM Toyota parts that are almost unattainable.
• As a buyer option, a set of JDM rear split seats with seat belts are available with the sale of this vehicle.

Painting process
• The final body prep. and paint was done at a professional body shop in Duncan BC. (Carstar – Isherwood)
• The painting process used was a Base / Clear system from Axalta coatings, the steps that were taken are as follows:

1. One coat of etch primer
2. Three coats of primer / surfacer
3. One and a half coats of base colour
4. Two coats of “Chroma Premier” clear coat

Interior
• The lower driver's seat section has been replaced, the remaining upholstery and interior parts are in original and exceptional condition.
• The interior headliner is in perfect condition, with the exception of small defect just above the rear cargo area window.

Chassis and Brakes
• The front axle and steering knuckles were completely disassembled and rebuilt; new rotors, pads, calipers, brake hoses, wheel bearings, knuckle bearings and seals were installed. The steering tie rod ends were checked and found within factory tolerances.
• The rear axle was disassembled, checked and found to be within factory specification -- new rear brake shoes and wheel cylinders were installed - a new OEM pinion seal was installed on the rear differential.
• The suspension was replaced earlier with an Old Man Emu (OME) suspension kit -- new leaf springs, 2.5° castor shims, Nitro Charger shocks, steering stabilizer, poly bushings, greasable anti-inversion shackles and perch pins. The front anti-sway bar end links were replaced with new Energy Suspension brand parts.
• The frame was found to be in good overall condition, but required some rust removal to bring it back into a restoration quality. This involved the replacement of the inner channel sections at the rear of the frame. The frame was also in need of some repairs to the end of frame inner and outer sections as well as a couple of other small areas. All affected areas were professionally removed, prepped and new steel has been mig welded in. The replacement inner channels were obtained from Maarten at Cruiser World, located in the Netherlands (About us | L&L Land Cruisers) and secured with 10.8 fine thread flanged hardware.
• The chassis and the axles were disassembled, cleaned, prepped and base coated in Rust Bullet and top coated in high quality semi-gloss black enamel paint.
• All brake, fuel and power steering lines and hold down clamps were removed, cleaned, and painted - the power steering box, reservoir and fuel/water separator received the same treatment.
• Front and rear drive shafts were checked and found to be within factory tolerance, cleaned prepped and painted before final installation.
• The inside of the frame has been completely cleaned out and treated with Pro-Form wax base rust prevention solution and then had all the large rectangular holes fitted with removable rubber plugs to help keep moisture and debris out of the frame that can cause rust to form.

Diesel Engine
• The engine was checked and following components were replaced with new OEM parts-- valve cover gasket with grommets, pushrod cover gaskets, front crankshaft seal, water pump, thermostat and gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, drive belts, oil delivery line for vacuum pump, radiator and Toyota red coolant.
• The fuel injectors were professionally rebuilt with Denso parts by Fred Holmes Fuel Injection (Home - Fred Holmes Fuel Injection) and the fuel lift pump primer pump was replaced with a new Bosch unit.
• The oil pan was removed, cleaned, prepped and repainted with Rust Bullet Automotive and a black enamel top coat. The oil pan was then installed using OEM FIPG as per factory specification.
• The intake/exhaust manifolds, glow pugs, injectors, injector tubes, transmission oil lines, and all accessory brackets were removed to enable the cleaning and repainting of the engine block and all attached parts prior to reassembly to the engine block.
• The fuel injection timing was checked and adjusted to factory specification.
• The intake and exhaust valve rockers were reset to factory specification
• New OEM oil and fuel filters and an aftermarket air filter were installed

Transmission and Transfer Case
• The A440, 4 speed automatic transmission was checked (shifts perfectly), the oil pan was removed, cleaned, prepped and painted and installed with a new OEM pan gasket - the transmission filter was removed, cleaned and reinstalled - new Dextron II ATF was installed as per factory service recommendation.
• New OEM bushings were installed in the transmission shifter mechanism.
• The transfer case (38 mm) was disassembled, checked and rebuilt with new Koyo bearings, gaskets and seals, the rear half of the transfer case housing was replaced.
• The transfer gear input shaft splines were inspected and found to be in very good condition - the output bearing pre-load was set to factory (new bearing) specification.
• New OEM bushings were installed at the pivot point of the transfer case lever -- a grease fitting was tapped in to this lever as well.

Electrical
• The electrical system is the original factory design - the entire electrical system, fuses, light bulbs, relays and connectors have been checked and found to be in perfect operating condition.
• The rear gate licence plate light bar was fully disassembled and treated with Rust Bullet Black shell paint on the back side. New OEM lens gaskets and bulbs were installed as well.

• The electrical system is the original factory 24vdc design. However, the following correctly installed modifications have been included to improve vehicle functionality and reliability:

o Added to the electrical system is a 20 amp, 24vdc to 12vdc power converter to power 12 vdc accessories - the converter is relay activated from the ignition system, which eliminates parasitic electrical draws when the vehicle is not operating. -- a 12 vdc power plug was installed just under the factory 24vdc cigarette lighter.
o A new 6 position fuse buss was located behind the glove box, which acts a central power distribution terminal for 12 vdc accessories - the glove box door and glove box need to be removed to gain access - two positions are currently used leaving 4 positions available for future 12 vdc accessory loads .
o A flat four pin trailer plug; was installed, fed by a 24 volt trailer converter (located in the LR rear quarter panel), which takes the four wire signal and converts it to a 3 wire 24 vdc trailer application (trailer requires 24 volt 1157 style bulbs OEM part # 90981-16015).
o The vehicle has a Kenwood head unit with CD player and USB drive - 6“coax speakers are mounted behind the front door panels - there are two 6" x 9" 3 way speakers mounted in the forward portion of the rear quarter panels - original radio antenna was replaced with a new OEM part.
o Headlights are Hella H4 with GE Nighthawk H4 bulbs.

Heating and AC
• All A/C 'O' rings have been replaced with Viton (synthetic rubber) O-rings – A/C receiver/drier replaced and the system recharged with R-134A – A/C system blows cold.
• The heater hoses, thermostat and the water pump have been replaced.
• The rear metal heater tubes were replaced and painted in Rust Bullet and black enamel.

Exhaust System
• The OEM exhaust system is like new condition - which was prepped and painted from the manifold heat shield back to the tailpipe in VHT cast iron grey hi-temperature paint; the same paint was utilized on the transmission cooling lines and transmission oil pan.

Wheels and Tires
• The five factory chrome steel 15" x7" steel wheels have been professionally polished and the inside wheel surfaces were cleaned, sanded and painted with Rust Bullet Automotive paint.
• Four new 31”x10.5”x15” Hankook Dynapro AT-m RF-10 tires were mounted & balanced with new valve stems on the restored wheels and then mounted on the vehicle with new wheel nuts.
• The spare is as new original, HR 78 X 15” Dunlop Max Trak Grip tire.

The asking price is $40,000 USD

Thanks for looking!

Here is the link to my Google picture story. (https://goo.gl/photos/qmS5bW1jZSRuibfZ9)

Rob

Last edited:
I've seen Rob's work first hand and I have to attest that it is in the truest definition, craftsmanship. His meticulous attention to detail of both the mechanical and the aesthetic components goes beyond professional into border line obsessive (in a very good way). This project is by far better than Toyota has built it on their best day.

I have seen this truck in person; Rob brought it over from the island to our club meeting this week. Beautiful doesn't begin to describe it.

Each fastener looks new, no scratches from tools, nothing but perfection.

As the ad says, this truck is better than new.

So beautiful. I envy whoever winds up with this truck.
Amazing work Rob!

I've had Rob do work on rigs in the past and will echo the comments above: Attention to detail and not happy until every component is acceptable to Robs standard.

Beautiful!

gb

When can I drop Gordo off? ;)

Good luck with the sale - it's beautiful!

a true frame off restoration of a HJ60 for $40K. That's good value there. wow! If @sschruff sees this he's going to be cleaning his monitor off for a long time.

Thanks very much guys, your too kind :)! And Major Nelson thank you so much it's nice to hear someone echo what I feel!

Here are a few more pics, again done with Google picture story; if anybody is having trouble opening the images I have found that it works better if you get the free app and open the link within the app.

Thanks

https://goo.gl/photos/avGov1CcNwbVePpS7

Maybe I missed it, but how many miles/kms on engine and tranny?

Nope you didn't miss it, it looks like I missed that other than the image of the speedometer...... 360,000 KM / 223,700 Mi

I know this beautiful truck from the past and know Rob's absolute attention to detail and doing everything right in the process of restoration. This is a very rare gem and I know the next owner of it will be one lucky Cruiser lover!

"SOLD" :cool::bounce2::beer: will be sad to part with him but he's going to a great home and fellow Cruiser Aficionado!

To the Ih8Mud creators, thanks so much for providing and maintaining such a great forum!

Until next time.......;)

~Rob

Last edited:
Congrats to both of you ! What an incredible build ! Hope that another is in the works (BJ60 perhaps ;)

After 6 weeks of discussion, disclosure, negotiation, learning the importation process, and gaining trust and respect for each other, this amazing specimen of a rig arrived at my door step Wednesday night. I want to thank Rob for the impeccable accountable honesty with which he negotiated and ultimately for the amazing job he did in restoring it.

I was extremely apprehensive about purchasing a vehicle sight unseen not only cross country but cross border, and setting the curve for what silly cruiser addicts like me are willing to pay for a beauty like this. Rob eagerly did everything I asked to put me at ease and answered every question I had with patience and in good faith. There are few people out there with as much cruiser knowledge, passion, and skill. Can't wait to plan the next build with him!

After cleaning the rig up, getting it licensed, and upgrading to 33x12.5x15's on 1,25" spacers, this is how it sits......
image.jpeg

I've started some light upgrades on the interior, just high level detailing mostly, and will post pics of the whole shebang soon.

My 92 FJ80 now has an older brother of the same color, same OME lift, same tires, and similar condition!

So are you going to post a complete documentation package of the sales price over in the insurance thread? This information will be invaluable to those who need to use it as a comparison for claims.

After 6 weeks of discussion, disclosure, negotiation, learning the importation process, and gaining trust and respect for each other, this amazing specimen of a rig arrived at my door step Wednesday night. I want to thank Rob for the impeccable accountable honesty with which he negotiated and ultimately for the amazing job he did in restoring it.

I was extremely apprehensive about purchasing a vehicle sight unseen not only cross country but cross border, and setting the curve for what silly cruiser addicts like me are willing to pay for a beauty like this. Rob eagerly did everything I asked to put me at ease and answered every question I had with patience and in good faith. There are few people out there with as much cruiser knowledge, passion, and skill. Can't wait to plan the next build with him!

After cleaning the rig up, getting it licensed, and upgrading to 33x12.5x15's on 1,25" spacers, this is how it sits......
View attachment 1155361

I've started some light upgrades on the interior, just high level detailing mostly, and will post pics of the whole shebang soon.

My 92 FJ80 now has an older brother of the same color, same OME lift, same tires, and similar condition!

Well thank you Vince! You should also know that for my first experience at cross boarder negotiation, shipping etc. I couldnt have asked for a better buyer. I think we both learned a lot in the process which I will be able to apply to future deals. So for that I am very thankful to you and know that the cruiser is in very good hands! Enjoy my friend!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom