1987 FJ60 Catalytic Converter sensor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.ouano.com and www.newbreedacademy.com
Ok. I had a new exhaust system replaced. The new Cat doesn't have the opening for the sensor.
Attached picture is the sensor from the old cat. I called around and was told that the sensor is no longer available for certain models. That's why my new cat has no opening for the sensor. Anyone in this forum have the same experience.:confused:

Seems to be running well though without it.
My rig is in the body shop getting work done. I should have taken a picture of the new exhaust system. I'll have it back in two weeks.
Sensor for FJ60 DSCN6717.JPG

The sensor still shows up as being available from toyota, but it's pretty expensive. But that's neither here nor there, because you still have your sensor, and it's required for you to pass smog inspection (at least in CA). I purchased a "direct fit" catalytic converter from an online vendor and it came with the port for the sensor. The port was a little longer than my last one, so I cut it shorter, but other than that it was a perfect fit. I'd suggest to your mechanic that he got the wrong catalytic converter.

The sensor is used to keep the catalytic converter from getting too hot, but whether it's there or not won't effect how the truck drives.

The sensor still shows up as being available from toyota, but it's pretty expensive. But that's neither here nor there, because you still have your sensor, and it's required for you to pass smog inspection (at least in CA). I purchased a "direct fit" catalytic converter from an online vendor and it came with the port for the sensor. The port was a little longer than my last one, so I cut it shorter, but other than that it was a perfect fit. I'd suggest to your mechanic that he got the wrong catalytic converter.

The sensor is used to keep the catalytic converter from getting too hot, but whether it's there or not won't effect how the truck drives.

been wanting to hear this. i have no cat but left this on near the exhaust outlet (muffler is where cat was under skid). then the exhaust is turned down and points just in front of my spring perch on driverside (hits the ground just before left rear tire) so exhaust still gets out from underneath the truck but i can still have it underneath the truck away from rocks

PO put in an aftermarket High Flo CAT on my '87 fj60. THe CAT had no port for the sensor so he just tucked it up under the body. I recently replaced the cat & mufler and asked the shop about putting the sensor in, they said if I used the OEM CAT I would need to put it in, but if I choose and aftermarket CAT I could just cut the wire and leave it off, so thats what I did. A few months later I passed smog with no mention of the CAT sensor. This was in the SF Bay Area btw.

PO put in an aftermarket High Flo CAT on my '87 fj60. THe CAT had no port for the sensor so he just tucked it up under the body. I recently replaced the cat & mufler and asked the shop about putting the sensor in, they said if I used the OEM CAT I would need to put it in, but if I choose and aftermarket CAT I could just cut the wire and leave it off, so thats what I did. A few months later I passed smog with no mention of the CAT sensor. This was in the SF Bay Area btw.

Maybe the newer CATs are less prone to overheat but I don't thing so when you look at how small the aftermarket ones are compare to the OEM one. Next time tell the smog guy that the wiring is loose and hanging down and see if you pass. He just didn't look or didn't know.

had my cat replaced and also had no port for the sensor, truck passed TX inspection and is running fine!

When I've been in for smog, I've had the inspector ask me where my oxygen sensor is...I tell him I don't have one, but show him the thermal sensor. At least I have something to show him...

I have one on mine that I put in year before last with sensor. I'm in the middle of my Vortec swap, but you can come to Van Nuys and have it free when I cut/unbolt it off. PM me and it's yours.

Maybe the newer CATs are less prone to overheat but I don't thing so when you look at how small the aftermarket ones are compare to the OEM one. Next time tell the smog guy that the wiring is loose and hanging down and see if you pass. He just didn't look or didn't know.

Thats possible. From talking to the shop that did the work it sounded more like I wouldn't need it to pass if I was using the aftermarket CAT, whcih is a smog legal change to the setup. As for heat, the high flo CATs have less dense reactive material in them and are not as prone to overheat (so I am told). We'll see. It's been like this for a year now and seems to be ok, but only my next smog will tell.

Hope it goes ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom