1985 transmission options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been out of the mini truck scene for some time now, but I'm working with a bone stock 1985 carbed short wheel base mini truck.

The transmission has a bad bearing and there won't be time to take it out, rebuild it, and put it back. So, instead, I'm looking into buying a used transmission, rebuilding that and then doing a swap.

I'd forgot that there are two transmission types available, the G and the W series.

What are the differences?

Was one exclusive to the EFI trucks from 85-88?

How about carbed trucks?

I've found an `84 trans/t-case locally and I'd like to know which it is by looking at it. The 1985 truck I am working on is 400 miles away so I can't be sure of what it has.

2wd or 4wd?

And I think if you use a EFI 5speed in place of a carb, the TC shifters are in different places.

(if we're talking 4wd here)

DO NOT USE: Toyota trannys that the bell housing will not separate from the tranns. I have seen them listed as 84, so that's why I say that.

for that era, if you look at an EFI (IIRC) you will see a space between the tranny shifter and the TC shifter. It is so much, the interior passes between the two. Again, all this is if I recall it correctly.

The carbs, have pretty much both shifters coming up through the same hole in the floorboard. The two shifters will be in very close proximity.

I believe this is why the EFI TC is desirable for the crawler box.

I have seen block off plated where it looks like you can change the shifter location, but these are on much later model trannys and I do not know about simply changing the shifter location.

the best source for anything drive train oriented is IMO, a buyers guide from Advanced Adapters. It is free and only takes a phone call. It covers in great detail the differences in all Toyota trannys. B/c you need to know what adapter you're gonna buy from them, right?;)

and its all in one handy little guide for a reference anytime you need it. I love mine, it's about wore out.

There is a plate in the engine comparment. This is mine and I have a W55 transmission.
mytransmissioncodeW55.JPG

Aaron, whatever you're getting the used G52 for, I'll beat it. We pulled mine and went with a R150f, so it's just sitting and I won't use it. Best thing is that mine was rebuilt about 20K before the 22R blew up (again).

Also, Marlin's website has all the tranny info you'll ever want about IDing one.

Marlin Crawler : The World's Best Rebuilt Toyota Transmissions

Let me know if you want the transmission.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom