1984 BJ42 Parking Brake Adjustment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I tried adjusting my parking brake from the interior of my truck (knob and nut tightened all the way). But its still not working. Can someone give me directions on how to do it from the outside?

depends on where your brake is located. is it on the rear axle? or on the back of the transfer case?

BJ 42 would be rear axle the only adjustment is with the nut adjusters on the PB handle.
Sounds like your cable is stretched there is very limited amount of adjustment on the later model cable application especially if the cable is stretched.
I had one where the previous owner stacked washers under the nuts to get more height on the cable adjustment and another where the PO cut the cable and welded a threaded rod to it but both attempts were a complete failure.

My 82 bj42 is drum brakes in the rear and the parking brake operates off them. You can adjust them out to hold on better using the star wheel. They’re supposed to be self adjusting but better to try and adjust it yourself to be sure of what’s happening in there.

There is also an adjusting nut attached to the cable and mechanism that goes into each drum. That may give you slightly more tension to hold the parking brake.

My handbrake mechanism was seized and the previous owner had tried the old 15 washers trick but failed to realise that the cable wasn’t doing anything at the drums. So get someone to rip the parking brake up and down while you get a look at what’s happening along the cable

Good luck

Many thanks for the replies. I got it fixed. I got under the rig and started tracking potential problems from the underside of the brake handle. The cable had loosened at the adjustment nut. I tensioned the cable and retightened the nut and it worked. My truck is an '84 canadian bj42 3b but the PO had upgraded the rear brakes to disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom