Build 1983’ mini-crawler RN48 “Clementine” Build

Member Builds and Stories

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Question for the welder/crawlers out there.

Should I weld these steering stop plates on top
IMG_1956.webp
or should I grind to fit down almost flush to weld?
IMG_1957.webp
Stronger if I inset them is my thinking,
Am I over thinking it?
 
I "think" they are sold to weld on top just because it's easier to produce and easier to fit for the buyer?? Just my guess.

It's cleaner looking and stronger at the point of contact to install like you're thinking in my opinion, just a bit more effort because you have to grind them to fit.

On my first SAS, I just welded a nut that fit down inside to ensure my hydro assist didn't crush the thin hollow stops. (shouldn't if adjusted properly though)
 
I "think" they are sold to weld on top just because it's easier to produce and easier to fit for the buyer?? Just my guess.

It's cleaner looking and stronger at the point of contact to install like you're thinking in my opinion, just a bit more effort because you have to grind them to fit.

On my first SAS, I just welded a nut that fit down inside to ensure my hydro assist didn't crush the thin hollow stops. (shouldn't if adjusted properly though)
Ya, I guess grinding 8 little pieces to fit takes awhile, I’ll see how one goes. Thanks
 
It’s good enough…for who it’s for! I welded the plates on top and it’s just good enough!
IMG_1958.webp
IMG_1959.webp

IMG_1960.webp


I welded the gusset a little here and there keeping it cool to the touch, pausing for a break, back and forth
So I figured I’d leave the Marlin Crawler seals that I put in a few thousand miles ago in, since taking them out destroys em! and they seem fine after weldng in sections and using wet rags wrapped around the housing.
I reached in and was able to keep my finger on the metal after welding so… am I the first cheap hillbilly to try this, prolly not!
Time for a bath and beer!
 
I actually think these gussets are more important than the big one across the housing. The ends are where many of these housings bend.

Nice job not cooking your seals.
 
Ya, I agree. Thanks for the input Scott, and reminding me to use these gussets while the housing was out, now back to it!
 
Back
Top Bottom