1981 4X4 LB PKUP ?'s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sweet rig!

I like the original paint job, and have only seen in person 2 or 3 over the last 10+ years. I think it was probably a rare color when new...

Sweet idea on redoing the interior panels...they look better then stock IMO, plus the stock ones always break whenever you need to change speakers or a window regulator. Good mod!

Even in the condition described, that truck would probably be in the $1500-$2500 range around here. I bought my '84 for $2200 10 years ago, and somehow they have not lost a cent of value since then (in Montana or Colorado).

Thanks, KayakPanic. I remember seeing this paint job back in the early '80s. Thought it was kinda loud back then. Now, it's kind of a novelty. I have no ambition to restore it at this point since it will be a beater trail rig.

Was able to do some "creative" routing and selecting of the vacuum and emission hoses :rolleyes: with the carb, and by George, it's running even sweeter. Yotatech had some good info. Got a local NAPA chasing me down a carb rebuild kit. I got to get into the front axle, though. The knuckle seals have let grease leak out and I want to go through it and while I'm in there, stuff in an Aussie. The OEM front Axle rebuild kit from cdan is around $280 with the discount, so I'm gonna have to save up I think. It will be more if I need wheel bearings or birfs.

Well as an update, I thought I'd report back on this project rig. Been using it on & off as a DD - to work and back. So it's been running reliably and consistently - at least for a 30 year old "carbed" rig :rolleyes:. This past weekend I got brave and took it on a 300+ mile round trip (for me)with just a touch of off road - Christmas Tree run with the local TLCA club. There were some pluses and minuses along the way.
First off, - the good:
-Fuel mileage - 19+ mpg and temps in the teens when trip was started
-Cab heater is superb, although heater/defroster fan is a little tired
-Starts like a champ, actually, the colder the engine - the quicker the start
-Electrical system is sound, no surprises (thank God)
-Cooling system consistent and even.
-Brakes are excellent - no pulling, grabbing or fading
-Usual no non-sense Toyota off road performance

Not so good:
-Noise in the cab - mostly at highway speeds
-Gutless - 5th gear almost required a tailwind or downhill
-Uncomfortable seat (what was I expecting for 30 yr old seats?:rolleyes:)
-Not your basic limo quality smooth ride :lol:

Since my last post, I've replaced the radiator, the alternator and the charge light relay. Also had the front drive shaft rebuilt - CV, u-joints and all.

I must say that I was pleasantly pleased. I've had more comfortable and quiet rides. Leaving my house in 16*F temps, I put a chunk of cardboard in front of the radiator until the outside temps got above 25*F. The cab was always cozy warm. I think a combination of the aftermarket muffler, the lack of sound deadening material and my door panel mod brings the db's up uncomfortably in the cab for a long trip. 5th gear just about requires you to keep the skinny pedal floored unless you get some assistance from mother nature. Some new shocks would prolly help the ride quality.

Hopefully, this winter I can find the funds to do the front axle maintenance and maybe sneak in an Aussie or two.

what size tires are your running?
The reason I ask is because I haven't encountered gutlessness issues with my first gen in 5th, but I'm running undersized tires. Usually lack of power at high gear means a gear or tire ratio is off.

The cab noise is pretty awful, even with a sound-padded DLX model, mine's still pretty loud.
Alot of the noise comes from three key areas: the firewall (the 22R is by no means a quiet motor) The transmission hump (the L series transmissions make a racket, even when they're brand-new) and the doors (they don't have any significant padding.
I'd (someday) like to use Second Skin Audio's products to add some sound-deadening mass to my truck's interior, and maybe it might be something worth looking into for you as well. I mention SSA by name because they have pretty competitive pricing.

As far as the seats go, find what you like and make 'em work, but, personally, racing buckets suck.

what size tires are your running?
The reason I ask is because I haven't encountered gutlessness issues with my first gen in 5th, but I'm running undersized tires. Usually lack of power at high gear means a gear or tire ratio is off..........
Could be, but it should be close to the stock performance. The R & Ps have been changed to 4.56 and the tires are supposed to be 32" but when set next to my supposedly 31" Green Diamonds that I'm running on my 80 series, they're actually slightly shorter.

The tire on the left is 32 x 11.50 R15 LT & what's currently on my rig. The tire on the right is 265/75R16 is what's currently on my 80 series:
attachment.php

.........The cab noise is pretty awful, even with a sound-padded DLX model, mine's still pretty loud.
Alot of the noise comes from three key areas: the firewall (the 22R is by no means a quiet motor) The transmission hump (the L series transmissions make a racket, even when they're brand-new) and the doors (they don't have any significant padding.
I'd (someday) like to use Second Skin Audio's products to add some sound-deadening mass to my truck's interior, and maybe it might be something worth looking into for you as well. I mention SSA by name because they have pretty competitive pricing.......
I think it's mostly my muffler, but I don't think the aluminum door panels help the acoustics much:rolleyes:

.........As far as the seats go, find what you like and make 'em work, but, personally, racing buckets suck.
After that trip, I agree! I love what you did with yours - the Ranger seat. Eventually, I hope to install something similar. Thanks for your help!:cheers:

Last edited:
is that a techno tire on the right.

No, sir. Its a Green Diamond. Here's a link to my tire thread on them. At this point, I'm not recommending them to anyone. I'm not even sure they're still in business. There's an 80 series owner at the end of my thread that's paid for his tires and still waiting on delivery. But, that's another story.

As far as seats, I've had a '79, '80, '84, and now my '85. Every one I've put SR5 bucket seats from '88's to '05 in them. Toyota was good about staying pretty close on same bolt patterns throughout the years. Hella comfortable, adjustable lumbar support and side support. I'm spoiled with my FJ cruiser now. Have to do a engine rebuild on my '85 so its neglected for a couple months.

I think it's mostly my muffler, but I don't think the aluminum door panels help the acoustics much:rolleyes:

I know what you mean, I have no door panels right now, and it's terrible.
I'm picking up some ABS soon.

Well, I got some bucket seats out of a '98 Honda CRV at a U-Pull-It last week. Did some quick measuring before so I thought they would come close to just bolting them in. Wrong:rolleyes: - I'm having to modify the bases of the new seats and it's coming along well. I'll post some pix when I get the chance. These seats are well made and solid. They should hold up well. The seats were $50 and $30ish for angle iron and hardware to fab up the mods. The original slide brackets will bolt to the mod I'm doing to the seats. I can't wait to test drive it when they're installed. :bounce:

Awesome! I can't wait to see it, Tom. Any chance the Mini will be at CTW this year?

I hadn't thought that far ahead yet, but yeah, I'd like that! Won't be able to tackle the stuff that your rig can do, but I'll have fun trying :hillbilly: - Hope to have an Aussie in by then.

Here's a comparo pic - old on left new on right:

IMG_0364a.JPG

The angle iron - $7 worth :hillbilly: :
IMG_0372a.JPG

Couple of the new(before mod):
IMG_0367a.JPG

IMG_0368a.JPG

The PS side complete, except for fitment check (in rig) and painting the bare metal angle iron brackets (The new seat is setting upside down on old seat just to hold it off the floor):
IMG_0374a.JPG

IMG_0373a.JPG

IMG_0375a.JPG

I'm pleased at how well and solid these seats seem, compared to the 30+ yr old OEM buckets and anxious to test drive them. Should have this done this weekend. Then I get to start on replacing my radiator in my 80 series :rolleyes: - always something else when it comes to your rigs......

Last edited:
Well the fitment and test drive showed that the mod worked great and the ride was superb. The seats are solid and absorb the bumps much better. But, one glaring problem - I was riding too high. So, I pulled 'em out and studied it for a while and realized I could lose about 7/8ths of an inch in height. Re-drilled holes and dropped it as far as the cross bars allowed:
IMG_0381a.JPG

IMG_0380a.JPG

Put the OEM slides (seat brackets) back on, installed seats and could not believe the difference 7/8" made.
IMG_0384a.JPG

IMG_0385a.JPG

IMG_0386a.JPG

For me, they're just right. These seats look great, and the backs fold forward for stowing stuff behind them. Glad I took the chance.....Anybody wanna buy some old worn out Toyota Racing Buckets? :lol: 'cause I'm pitchin' 'em!

Last edited:
Thanks, Chad! The cushions on these seats are so much thicker than the OEM buckets, tall people will be cramped because there's just not enough space to accommodate both comfort and room - at least by my standards :rolleyes:. I've come to the conclusion that the truck will wear out before these seat cushions do :hillbilly:.

X2 on the seats. Awesome!!! Been thinking what would be best for my
'83. The oem buckets are horrendous (my opinion)

X2 on the seats. Awesome!!! Been thinking what would be best for my
'83. The oem buckets are horrendous (my opinion)

Thanks, Rozzi! I've read that Camry seats work pretty well. Or if you want a bench seat, a guy here put one from a Ford Ranger in a 1st gen. I know of another owner on Mud that put Honda seats in. Be careful and make complete measurements and check out the mounting brackets before choosing your seats. I thought I had done both and assumed that close would be OK, but found when I got home I was wrong. An inch can be the difference between success or failure. I was fortunate to be able to mod the seats to work. Good luck and post your mod if you do it! :cheers:

Last edited:
Well, I decided to go Lock Right for the front locker. My front axle rebuild was severely interrupted by several events, but it's back together with the locker installed. I figured to go with Cruiser Outfitters since they had the axle kit and the Lock Right. Bummed though 'cause they didn't list the Aussie, which is what I really wanted. I was also disappointed in their Knuckle Rebuild Kit, since it didn't include the internal c-clip for the birfield. Because it was my 1st time doing a front axle rebuild, I assumed it would be included - wrong:rolleyes:. Another delay waiting for the parts to arrive from cdan who always comes through for me. But, I'm smarter now (I hope) and more willing to take on the rebuild of my 80's front axle. I've briefly tested it for function and it appears to be doing the job. I'm waiting for CTW this year where it will get a more complete test.

Last edited:
Took the Toyo AT Extreme II 35s off my 80 series and with wheel adapters and some front wheel well mods tried 'em on the Mini. Had to take off the mud flaps and trimmed the front bumper. Reeeeally need to regear if I want to keep them on. But, I can roll under the axles on my creeper and not touch...lol.
img_0326-jpg.1303077
img_0327-jpg.1303079

IMG_0328.JPG

IMG_0329.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom