1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1980 ext cab, I didn't do it.

Discussion in '95-older Toyota Truck Tech' started by Scott Campbell, Apr 16, 2018 at 8:52 PM.

1. Scott Campbell

Scott Campbell

Howdy from new guy. I just bought a 1980 w/ 20R & 4spd. The PO got creative. He extended the cab about 6". Then shortened a later bed to fit. Then covered it in bed liner. Fine for a trail rig, but not pretty. At least the driveline & suspension got done ok. The 4 cyl got a weber and header. Runs strong. The lift is NWOR springs. Has receiver hitches front & rear. Don't know what is in the axles yet. 31" tires.
    The ad said it had issues, but ran & was cheap. Figured I could sort it out & sell. Had to fix some wiring issues & it ran fine. So then I had to take it out & see how it performed. Took it on local trail that was fairly easy. It just tractored along in 4HI. Probably could have done most in 2 whl. My Dodge would've had to knock trees down where the Yota squeezed through. I'm impressed, so now my Dodge is getting sold instead.
    This truck is gonna stay a trail rig. Will fix interior some. The PO had scraped some of the liner off to redo, so that will have to get done. Pretty much just plan to wheel the crap out of it. Lots of trails here.

DSC01698.JPG

DSC01700.JPG

DSC01699.JPG

DSC01705.JPG

DSC01707.JPG

RiFF RaFF likes this.
  2. Mudder

Mudder

I don't know if I should be amazed at it or disgusted. It looks pretty decently done though.

3. Scott Campbell

Scott Campbell

Agreed. It's lined up & welded well, he just used flat steel. I like the room it gives. Just imagine no wall right behind your head. Oh, check out the box to clear the fuel tank.

DSC01702.JPG

Mudder likes this.
  4. yotadude520

yotadude520

Media:
    Albums:
    Hmmm...quite interesting. I've seen things like this done before but they look more like this:

[​IMG]

I will say it does look relatively well done. Slap a decent paint job on it and it might look really good. But personally if I were you I'd cut a piece out and install a window kinda like the 1st gen ext cab pickups had.

Either way, welcome to the forum!

5. ferg

ferg

So, now that it's 'yours', what's the plan?

6. Scott Campbell

Scott Campbell

Man, that is one long Yota. Cool,though. Never seen that before. Are the campers that long?

My neighbor saw my truck & came over to check it out. Then he offered me a '82 for $200 with title. Haven't seen it yet, but assuming fixer/ parts truck status. Can't say no either way. There are a bunch of 70's & 80's Jap trucks around here.

7. Scott Campbell

Scott Campbell

Plans for now are to hit as many trails as possible. Nothing too crazy til I get a winch & cage. Have to do something about the liner. Too much bare metal to rust.

8. RickC5

RickC5

I saw that thing on Craig's List (?) and just couldn't get up the energy to drive down to Olathe (or wherever) to take a look at it. I must admit that it's unique. Glad someone bought it that is interested in keeping it going.

9. Scott Campbell

Scott Campbell

Well, Rick..I'm glad you chose not to go that far. I'm kinda liking the truck. His ad definitely didn't do the truck justice. He bought it from his bother or brother in law who must have really liked it to do all that work. I just have to finish the minor stuff. Hope he doesn't got upset when he sees me driving it.

10. RickC5

RickC5

Have you seen that '82 yet? Just wondering what $200 buys?

11. Scott Campbell

Scott Campbell

Gonna try to get with him this weekend & let ya know.