Build 1978 FJ40 - Lovely “Linda”

Member Builds and Stories

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@nabbasi Ain’t that some steering stabilizer? I estimate about 25% beefier that most I have ever had.
 
@nabbasi Ain’t that some steering stabilizer? I estimate about 25% beefier that most I have ever had.
You aren’t kidding. The whole lot seems beefy! The shocks make the bilsteins in my ‘67 seem…inadequate.

I got the steering buttoned up and dropped it to the ground. I only made it about 25’ before I hit too much resistance. I pulled it back into the garage, put it back in the air and pulled the wheels back off. My front right caliper was clamped tight on the rotor. Removed them and pushed everything back out, double checked my alignment, and ran some errands. I’ve got some tweaking left to do on the drag link and want to center the steering wheel a bit, but I’m going to consider this pretty much complete.

As crazy as this sounds, I am 0/3 on liking a newly rebuilt steering box. I think I get used to the leverage the extra few inches of play provides. I’m sure everything is just stiff from being new and I’ll get used to it.

It’s time to start wire wheeling and prepping for the terrain tamer install. I want to just throw it all on, but I’m going to pace myself and clean up underneath as I go.

IMG_1197.webp


Next up:

Alternator - paused (swapped the pulley)
Knuckle rebuild
Sniper Tuning - ongoing
Tie rod/ relay rod/ drag link replacement
Center Arm Rebuild
Replace steering box

Terrain Tamer Install
 
@nabbasi i think that is the best way to do it…. I took 3 weeks to install mine..not necessarily for cleanup but for 1.) I try to be meticulous about things like this and 2.) I get tired quickly these days especially when my arms or back is stressed from working overhead. Cutting off the old u-bolts was exciting. I knew they were going to POP…. ALL EIGHT of them yet, as I got close to expecting the pop, it still made me jump when they did.

Those fresh yellow chromate colors contrast so nicely against the fresh black paint too…
 
This isn’t really an update since he been a bit too busy to do anything other than put some miles on Linda for commuting.

The steering box is breaking in and isn’t as stiff, which is really nice. I still feel like the rear brake bias is off, despite the stock setup. Sniper’s been really solid. Only 2 issues:

1. I have a weird dip in power at about 2000rpm.
2. I calculated 11mpg. That’s 3mpg less than my carbureted ‘67 with a 2F! I think I drive a bit harder since the acceleration is so much better with the sniper.

My wife prefers the ‘67. She likes the soft top/ no doors/ higher seating position. I’m thinking a rooftop tent will change her mind.

Hopefully when I’m back in town next week I can get the terrain tamer on!
 
One of the same issues I had ….but has been eliminated was the 11mpg…you nailed the main reason however. It runs so well you begin to drive it differently. The acceleration is really really nice so stomping on the pedal just seems invigorating. My transmission shifts so smoothly as well so it’s easy to get carried away.

🎶”don’t let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy”🎶….ha-ha-ha…too late!
 
Over the past 2 weeks, I’ve taken my time wire wheeling the frame, rust encapsulating, painting, and disassembling the suspension. I wasn’t worried about making it look good, although it does look much, much better. The only spots on the frame that cause any concern at all are the angled brackets in the rear to connect to the rear crossmember. That will need to be addressed at some point in the future.

I used an induction heater for most of the U-Bolts, shock mount nuts and shackle and hanger hardware. I used a torch (on the bushings, specifically, not bolts). For the first time in a long time, I didn’t break a single bolt.

A single seized spring pin on the front passenger side was the toughest part of all of the disassembly. It was a lot of fun :rolleyes: Heat, persistence, a hammer and pry bar eventually did the job.
IMG_1427.webp

IMG_1423.webp


Not sure why I’m wasting my time. Shocks were fine.

IMG_1399.webp


I’ll update with the install and driving impressions once I get another test drive in. The visual change was much bigger than on my blue ‘67.

IMG_1509.webp
 
Alright folks, I’m requesting help from anybody that can help me solve a rear axle thrust issue (I think?).

After the lift, I noticed a good bit of noise from the rear I could feel in the floor. I don’t think it is related to the lift in any way, other than having 4 distinct, working, articulating corners exposed a “noise.”

I got it in the air, and felt this:


Then took off the wheel:


And from inside:
June 24, 2026 - https://youtube.com/shorts/tYFnQEd6tsc?is=aYNyhPY6sP-FLxdB

I found a post discussing the same issue, but it didn’t seem resolved. Is this as “simple” as measuring and finding the correct spacer?

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated!

Post in thread 'FJ 40 Rear Axle Horizontal Play'
FJ 40 Rear Axle Horizontal Play - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj-40-rear-axle-horizontal-play.964471/post-10727477
 
Looking at the video linked above with the inside view there seems to be a lot of play between the spacer and the shaft that goes through it and the spider gears. is the shaft or inner diameter of the spacer worn? Any metal shavings in the diff or on the drain plug magnet?
 
Looking at the video linked above with the inside view there seems to be a lot of play between the spacer and the shaft that goes through it and the spider gears. is the shaft or inner diameter of the spacer worn? Any metal shavings in the diff or on the drain plug magnet?
Yeah, there is quite a bit of play. I plan on measuring with my feeler gauges later, but just listening/ eyeballing it without measuring, it's definitely out of spec.

Neither the shaft or the inner diameter of the spacer block are worn - everything looks fine from the spacer block to the axle seal.

Fluid look surprisingly good for it to be as old as I'm sure it was. there wasn't any shavings, and nothing on the drain plug magnet or the bottom of the housing to cause alarm that material had been worn off.
 
Last edited:
I think the issue is between the spacer and center pin. There's not supposed to be that much play between them. Using a feeler gauge is likely pointless. You'll just be moving the spacer over, there's no way to get an accurate measurement or get the correct axle freeplay.
 
I think the issue is between the spacer and center pin. There's not supposed to be that much play between them. Using a feeler gauge is likely pointless. You'll just be moving the spacer over, there's no way to get an accurate measurement or get the correct axle freeplay.
Good eyes! ISo very likely just a worn spacer?

I'll check the interior diameter of the spacer like @SC-Cruiser mentioned. i didn't even notice that, but you're right - center pin isn't moving, it's just the block spacer. Thank you!
 
I’m going to assume I shouldn’t be able to see the floor when the shaft is in the spacer.

Anybody know what might have caused it?

Looks like SOR has them. May need to call @65swb45 tomorrow.

IMG_1598.webp
 
Is the shaft worn too?
It has marks, does not seem to be worn. It fits pretty snug through the carrier bore. It feels smooth. Didn’t measure any variation with calipers.

Very strange wear, since neither the shaft nor the spacer rotate.
How does the bore in the carrier where the shaft goes into look?
Bore looks good - shaft goes though and is pretty tight.

IMG_1603.webp
 
IMG_1601.webp

This book was in my ‘67s toolbox. It has information relayed to the maintenance, 2F swap, etc. the rest of the book is useless. I thought I’d try to glean some info from it, but the clearance specs don’t match the FSM and it suggest using shims.

Also, the body section has the headlight bezel upside down. So can you really trust it?
IMG_1600.webp


I reassembled to test clearance with feeler gauges so that I could figure out which spacer to look for.

My current block measures 29.65mm (which I assume is from wear?

IMG_1611.webp

1mm of total clearance. I think one of the largest 2 blocks should take care of it/ put it back within spec.

IMG_1590.webp
 
Good talking with you yesterday.😉 And even better getting another order.😊 Business has been painfully slow.☹️

Seeing the end of your pinion pin, I’m going to ask you to do a little oil test with the new pin when you get everything back together with the new pin, thicker washers, and thinner spacer block, as well as a test with the new side gears which I’d like you to do before you install them. We’ll talk after the holiday weekend.😉
 
Good talking with you yesterday.😉 And even better getting another order.😊 Business has been painfully slow.☹️

Seeing the end of your pinion pin, I’m going to ask you to do a little oil test with the new pin when you get everything back together with the new pin, thicker washers, and thinner spacer block, as well as a test with the new side gears which I’d like you to do before you install them. We’ll talk after the holiday weekend.😉
Great talking to you - always learn something new! I’m good for at least an order or two per year. I like “junk.”

That sounds good. We can touch base next week.

Mind throwing a set of the rancho pins for @Ruski if you haven’t packaged everything up yet? (Need help with lower front shock mount - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/need-help-with-lower-front-shock-mount.938477/post-16334225)
 
Back
Top Bottom