1978 FJ40 heater and blower (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok...my blower works as I can hear it running but barely an air come through heater setting...change to defrost and almost no air is coming out of wind shield vent....back heater seems to be working correctly. Should I rebuild the blower to make sure all is fine or could issue be damper doors with in heater core then rebuild the heater core? Thoughts to why I have such low air volume coming through hoses?

There could be junk blocking the blower or the heater core. Now would be a good time to pull both and clean em up.

This guy does a really good tutorial for both.

if you move the lever to vent, do you get good air flow into your face?

is this rig new to you?
could be external plugged up heater core
some one could have installed a 55 blower motor and squirrel cage which the squirrel cage needs to be changed to a 40 version.

if you move the lever to vent, do you get good air flow into your face?

is this rig new to you?
could be external plugged up heater core
some one could have installed a 55 blower motor and squirrel cage which the squirrel cage needs to be changed to a 40 version.

Yes...new to me and my first. Ok air comes out but would expect more by the way blower sounds. To take heater core apart how do you cut flow of radiator fluid or do you drain the radiator?

POST A PICTURE

X2 on pics
if you move the lever to vent versus heat or defrost. is there good air flow? if there is good air flow the blower is fine.
vent does not go thru the heater core.
you can pinch the lines in the engine compartment so you don't need to drain the entire system. I have pinch off pliers that don't harm the rubber hose

... air comes out but would expect more by the way blower sounds.

These do not blow as hard as domestic cars and trucks; the air flow is pretty modest. I can feel mine if I put my hand close to the vent(s), but not much further away.

These do not blow as hard as domestic cars and trucks; the air flow is pretty modest. I can feel mine if I put my hand close to the vent(s), but not much further away.

when I put on defrost nothing comes out of vents for windshield...even pulled off hose at heat box and no air flowing. Something should come out correct?

when I put on defrost nothing comes out of vents for windshield...even pulled off hose at heat box and no air flowing. Something should come out correct?

have you checked the vent function and the air flow from it? does your box have vents coming out the upper front?
the air flow to the defrost and heat function run thru the heater core, the vent function does not. if the heater core is externally plugged, which is often the case, the air does not flow thru the blockage. the heater core can look like it has dead animal on it or something built a nest in there.
you can disconnect the square tube going to the box and see inside to the top of the heater core.

Does your heater look like THIS?

IMG_0601.JPG

There are two flaps that control air flow, and they need to be synchronized to do it effectively. In refurbishing mine, I learned that the flap arm wasn't moving the flaps so one would close when the other opened (see blue circle) and had to bend it until it was able to move those flaps as designed. Put a bright light on the upper and lower vent openings and watch how they move as you operate the control knob.
IMG_0613 (2)_LI.jpg

AND TAKE A PICTURE

Funny you say this about the sync...when you move to defrost there is alittle resistance and seems not to quite get to correct setting...actually the lever makes it seem like there are only two settings...I will get pictures tomorrow. Thx!

Yes.

There are two flaps that control air flow, and they need to be synchronized to do it effectively. In refurbishing mine, I learned that the flap arm wasn't moving the flaps so one would close when the other opened (see blue circle) and had to bend it until it was able to move those flaps as designed. Put a bright light on the upper and lower vent openings and watch how they move as you operate the control knob.View attachment 2483005

AND TAKE A PICTURE

I checked and the flaps seem to be in sync when lever is utilized

Rather than start a new thread, I have several questions related to my 76 FJ40. Like the original poster here I get very little air to the defrosters, and I only have 2 positions that the lever arm moves to and I think I'm supposed to have 3. The blower motor is working and putting out what I think is enough air, and both high and low speed work. I have several questions:

1- Do you drain the radiator to remove the heater? I'm not looking to shortcut something if that is the best way to handle taking the unit out.
2-What is the best rebuild kit or best dealer to buy kits from? I've seen a couple of threads with recommendations but some of them are 10 years old or older.

I've seen the video on rebuilding mentioned in post 2 of this thread, and I think it explains most of the rebuild process, so if I have the correct parts I think I can take it apart and replace/refurbish it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom