1977 FJ40 Clutch Pressure Plate issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got a new clutch to install on my stock 1977 FJ40 2F. I had the flywheel machined to spec. With the friction plate and the pressure plate installed there is about a 1/2 gap between the pressure plate and flywheel. I could bolt it down and I'm sure the surfaces would mate, but that seems wrong to me. I have installed other clutches in the past and the pressure plate and flywheel usually mate pretty close before bolting it down. Anyone in here run into the same thing?

P.S. it is definitely not being hung up on the alignment pins.

0802201632_HDR~2.jpg

0802201632.jpg

Tighten the PP down slowly going from bolt to bolt, if it feels too tight stop. However, It should seat just fine.

Not your problem if you are running the stock 6 cylinder, but if you had an Generation III LS engine/flywheel and tried to install an earlier Generation I pressure plate- - -this is exactly what would happen- - -just saying.

Hey all, curious if this issue was ever resolved. I too have a gap between the flex plate and the flywheel. I am at the required 15 foot pounds but did not want to keep cranking to close the gap. Any direction on what to do would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom