Builds 1969 FJ40 Father / Son Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well I cranked down the air today and machined a backing block that helped keep the shape of the head of the rivet. I got them all in, had to replace a few and found two more I don’t like. But all in all I think it’s nice and secure.
For the ones I had to remove, they were a bear; so that makes me feel like this will hold up well.

43F7A424-FB3D-486F-B081-3AD892D7106A.jpeg
2EE8800D-AA71-4D98-9CE4-CD3A95B2109D.jpeg
77042508-73CA-4424-8F18-9F1D3C2354E5.jpeg

I applied the seam sealer to the cap today and was surprised how well it applied. Things don’t usually go better than expected for me. Haha.
Anyway I was also extremely lucky in how much sealer I had. I bought 3 tubes of 3M 08307 and literally had bubbles at the last inch. I was super scared it wasn’t going to make it.
Anyway we’ll see how it cures. Got my fingers crossed.
499126A9-2192-40E7-AD46-C34B0E8049C9.jpeg
0B9B2CDF-20F0-4C2E-B78D-DA1F0B68F610.jpeg

Shane, I found the box! The irony is that I have done so much cleaning before I found it that I have more running board stays OUTSIDE the box than in it!😛 Nine in the box, but at least 12 more on the shelf with the A pillar frame supports.
8F694F45-499F-4C3D-B5FE-F9DA96FD3060.jpeg

Shane, I found the box! The irony is that I have done so much cleaning before I found it that I have more running board stays OUTSIDE the box than in it!😛 Nine in the box, but at least 12 more on the shelf with the A pillar frame supports.
View attachment 3222222
Nice! I was just going to call you today to set up a time to come by if you’ve got everything in. Talk to you soon.

Nice! I was just going to call you today to set up a time to come by if you’ve got everything in. Talk to you soon.
Not yet. Hopefully next week.😉

It’s been slow lately; I figure if I spend money slowly over a long time it’ll hurt less? Haha.
I had assembled the cowl vent and as I stared at the fasteners I said to myself “that will probably rust quickly there.” So I picked up some stainless washers and acorn nuts. Those things were like $3 a piece.
30F2FD6E-FDE0-4526-9E4B-2BEDE20A9D97.jpeg
A42722E1-A7EE-4A8D-8462-0A40A6F9D76B.jpeg

Bling! You are SO in the rabbit hole. :lol:

Actually, that’s a good idea.🤔

It’s been slow lately; I figure if I spend money slowly over a long time it’ll hurt less? Haha.
I had assembled the cowl vent and as I stared at the fasteners I said to myself “that will probably rust quickly there.” So I picked up some stainless washers and acorn nuts. Those things were like $3 a piece.
View attachment 3250343View attachment 3250344
Nice job! Be sure to attach the two drain hoses before you install the heater box and blower motor. Leave some excess length on the drain hoses and cut to final length after everything is installed in and under the dash. Lesson learned the hard way!

Nice job! Be sure to attach the two drain hoses before you install the heater box and blower motor. Leave some excess length on the drain hoses and cut to final length after everything is installed in and under the dash. Lesson learned the hard way!
Didn’t know that - thanks for the tip!

Well I’m trying to get some room in the garage, so I’m putting the top on loosely with some work to go along with it. Had to clear some threads and make a post for the driver side. I didn’t know the side still had a broken off post on it, so had to turn a stepped post to fit. It took a couple adjustments to get the fit right.
D3C19D13-2E4B-4F69-8871-DB6675693885.jpeg

A74AC622-03E6-4F8E-9322-31FD0FABF2DC.jpeg

Royal Cake, restoration is looking great! I love that you choose an original 1969 color (happens to be same color as my original owner 8/68 FJ40). I cannot help you with the two fasteners where the curve of the rear windows begin yet only one on your gasket. I have never taken my roof off and never had a leak. I am away from my FJ right now but I can let you know what I find in a couple of weeks. I expect someone else will know the answer to your question be then.

Shane

The roof weatherstrip went through about six iterations IIRC, the most modern of which is the only remaining one still available. And yes, the newest hardtops used only one fastener per side. So you should plan on cutting the second hole yourself.
A bigger challenge awaits when you get to the front doors and find the perimeter weatherstrip Toyota offers now makes no account for the door striker alignment plate. :bang:

Royal Cake, restoration is looking great! I love that you choose an original 1969 color (happens to be same color as my original owner 8/68 FJ40). I cannot help you with the two fasteners where the curve of the rear windows begin yet only one on your gasket. I have never taken my roof off and never had a leak. I am away from my FJ right now but I can let you know what I find in a couple of weeks. I expect someone else will know the answer to your question be then.
Thank you sir! I do like how the Colorado Beige turned out. Cheers!

Shane

The roof weatherstrip went through about six iterations IIRC, the most modern of which is the only remaining one still available. And yes, the newest hardtops used only one fastener per side. So you should plan on cutting the second hole yourself.
A bigger challenge awaits when you get to the front doors and find the perimeter weatherstrip Toyota offers now makes no account for the door striker alignment plate. :bang:
Thanks Mark. I was ready to punch out the other hole, but I thought I should ask in case I was doing something dumb.
I don’t look forward to the final fit up. One step at a time I suppose.

Hey all I had a question for you - I searched around a little but still not sure. I've got a 2F in my 69 - if I end up getting a replacement radiator, I see there was a different part number for the 2F radiator. Should I look for a radiator that came in the 69 with the F motor or one that came with a 2F? Thanks!

Hey all I had a question for you - I searched around a little but still not sure. I've got a 2F in my 69 - if I end up getting a replacement radiator, I see there was a different part number for the 2F radiator. Should I look for a radiator that came in the 69 with the F motor or one that came with a 2F? Thanks!
I believe that they are somewhat interchangeable. We have a 1970 and purchased a new OEM 2F radiator thru Roger at City Racer. @Racer65 goes the extra mile of insuring that the OEM radiators he gets and ships are in great condition. I've read where a high percentage of the radiators from purchased from Toyota arrive with damage from shipping.

10.12.2022.New OEM Radiator.jpg

What does yours look like? If there’s any chance it’s original, don’t waste your time with it.
The one Mark posted will work.
I have a few in stock, so damage in transit will definitely not be an issue.😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom