Builds 1966 LV Build by LCNuts (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That might have something to do with the push rods not being in place. I haven't worked on this in a few weeks but my plan is to set the clearance when it's running. I need to finish replacing the fuel lines first among other things.
Hey, to each their own, not judging.... Totally kidding. I dig your LV. I think they are so cool, I had one that lived it's life in Southern Oregon and had it for a couple years then sold it. I really wish I had hung on to that one. I had to narrow down from 7 land cruisers to 1 and it was sad to do. I have since started resurrecting my army but I don't imagine I will find another fj45lv. Looks like you are taking good care of yours!

I'm sure you already know, but you can take off the plate held on by two screws on the rear hatch handle to reveal the Toyopet logo, I always thought that was really cool.

Hey, to each their own, not judging.... Totally kidding. I dig your LV. I think they are so cool, I had one that lived it's life in Southern Oregon and had it for a couple years then sold it. I really wish I had hung on to that one. I had to narrow down from 7 land cruisers to 1 and it was sad to do. I have since started resurrecting my army but I don't imagine I will find another fj45lv. Looks like you are taking good care of yours!
It's got potential but a long way to go. I hope to have it road worthy in time for the Carolina Relic Run this April. I currently have a army of 3 LC's. You can't have to many.

I took a brief break on this project due to high workload during peanut harvest (my day job). I've working on fuel lines lately. It had clear plastic lines through out that I'm sure were not rated for gasoline. Not sure how long they had been there but they had similar pliability as bamboo. I ran steel line down the frame rail and plan to connect to the fuel pump with braided flex. Still feel I'm days away from hearing it run but probably not in reality.

IMG_20191112_112520.jpg

I also pulled a heater hose off and this is what I found. Might need to flush radiator and all

IMG_20200131_153131.jpg

Nice going! Keep up the good work!

I found a deal on some tires on Facebook. 265/75/16 BFG's KO2 supposedly on 2000 miles on them and probably driven by a little old lady. It's tight at the back but they look a lot better than the old wagon wheels. I flexed it the best I could with 2 floor jacks and everything seems to clear just fine. Before and after bellow

IMG_20200219_142148.jpg
IMG_20200219_142136.jpg

IMG_20200219_183646.jpg
IMG_20200219_183657.jpg

IMG_20200220_095318.jpg

New braided fuel lines and fuel filter. I converted all the fitting from the 13mm inverted flare to 6an except for the tank because that fitting is welded in. I did this so I could use the stainless braided flex line instead of just the rubber. I realize this is probably not necessary especially considering how aggravating it was to find the correct fittings. 1/8 bssp to 6an can be found on Amazon and Ebay. Mark's Offroad has the 13mm to hose barb fitting and all things considered that's the easiest option.

1583509552987.png
1583511308165.png

The brass fitting is what's originally in the fuel filter and pump( I think the carb as well). The small end is 1/8 BSSP (British pipe thread) the other is 13mm inverted flare (unique to say the least). The blue fitting is 1/8 BSSP and 6an (AKA 3/8 JIC).

1583510750846.png
1583509709880.png

She's alive and moves under her own power! I got to drive it around the farm for a little while but It's got some more problems. It makes some noise while in 2wd but not 4wd. It seems it's not shifting all the way out of 4wd. I'm not sure what its called but the fork shaped device that slide the gear is bent and worn. Ordered the parts from Mark's Offroad for that.

Here's what left to fix that I know about.

Rebuild t-case
Park brake
choke cable
Rear seat needs mounting brackets
brake lights and turn signals
Speedo cable
Fuel sending unit
Windshield wipers
Weather stripping
Recover front seat

link to a video of it running

IMG_20200317_133431.jpg

Mine is a brass tag it’s titled as a 1966 but it’s a 1965 , it came with the camo paint I think it was done by drunk hunters anyway love your truck hope we meet on the trail someday.

I'm not sure what this piece looked in 1966 but I believe it's supposed to guide the tailgate arms when closing the gate. The arm will get shut in between the gate and channel without it which is what happens in it's current state.

IMG_20200311_154831~2.jpg

I borrowed a similar piece from @CottonPatchKid off his Pig. The white is his and the grey is what I made on the table saw. Obviously this is not original but it works. Tailgate shuts no problem and it didn't before. If any knows what the original looked like I'd be interested to know. I made this from plastic purchased from Amazon. The previous piece seemed something like soft rubber probably deteriorated.

IMG_20200324_165610.jpg
IMG_20200324_165620.jpg
IMG_20200324_175851.jpg

I took the LV for a little 2 mile field trip yesterday afternoon. It drives good and I was surprised how little it rattles at least compared to my 40. There is still some roaring coming from either the t-case or rear end. My plan is to take the rear drive shaft off and drive it in 4wd. If the noise is gone then I know it's the rear end. If it isn't then isn't probably the t-case or I guess the transmission.
IMG_0991.jpg

The last few weeks I've been working on getting the LV road legal. I put on mirrors, got all gages working, unstuck the windshield wipers, and tail lights. I got the lights burning but not blinking. I've ordered a blinker relay and switch to fix that. I also have the bearing kit from SOR to rebuild the rear diff which I will start this weekend. Below is the updated to-do list

Rebuild t-case
Park brake
choke cable
Rear seat needs mounting brackets
brake lights and turn signals
Speedo cable
Fuel sending unit
Windshield wipers
Weather stripping
Recover front seat

Diff Rebuild
Fix Passenger door
Fix Rear top hatch
Seat Belts

IMG_20200411_122758.jpg
IMG_20200407_182738.jpg

Tore down the diff this weekend. There was a lot of wear in the pinion bearing. I I didn't measure the gear backlash but it was enough to be obvious. There was a lot of rust/dirt hanging out in the hog head so this is reassurance that needed to tackle this. Also there was blue RTV on the gaskets which means someone has been in here before.
IMG_20200418_143547.jpg
IMG_20200418_143543.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom