1965 originality questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Krondor

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys,

I am currently rebuilding a '16 FJ40. As you can see, it is a bastard of a 40.

IMG_E3329.JPG

I already know that the hard top and the blinkers and not original. Also the bezel is upside down... I have matching serial numbers of the 1F 135 engine, frame, and tub so I figured I might as well go for more of an original build. There are a lot of pieces missing so the rebuild will not be completely prefect. Plus I plan on putting disc brakes and power steering on the girl.

Anyways, my first question is: is the windshield frame correct for a '65 or is it from the '71 in the background?

There will be more to go.

The bib should also have Land Cruiser stamped in it. Rear jump seats were one year only. The front side of the wheel well should have a bracket the front side arm bolts too. Could have a opening in the side of the left apron for a air intake. The gas fill should be the large style that used the same gas cap as the FJ25. Rear barn doors should have a pin to lock the door to the floor. Lights on the aprons are 70-74 models. The hood should not have the pads or hold down hooks for the windshield. Much more little stuff.

The B pillar should be the tall style. Door striker on the B pillar does not look the the early style. Possible not a 61 tub.

The bib should also have Land Cruiser stamped in it. Rear jump seats were one year only. The front side of the wheel well should have a bracket the front side arm bolts too. Could have a opening in the side of the left apron for a air intake. The gas fill should be the large style that used the same gas cap as the FJ25. Rear barn doors should have a pin to lock the door to the floor. Lights on the aprons are 70-74 models. The hood should not have the pads or hold down hooks for the windshield. Much more little stuff.

The B pillar should be the tall style. Door striker on the B pillar does not look the the early style. Possible not a 61 tub.
The subject of this thread indicates the rig is said to be a '65, not a '61. Most of the stuff you mention here is not correct for a '65.

if the cruiser in the back came with the deal, it might be your early body.

The subject of this thread indicates the rig is said to be a '65, not a '61. Most of the stuff you mention here is not correct for a '65.

Your right I was looking at the 16 FJ40 in the first post and thought the 16 were inverted.:bang: 65 parts are much easier to find then the 61 which is a plus.

Why, what's so hard to find?
I've got most of the missing stuff for my '64 FST now, but some of it wasn't terribly easy to come by. Early (short) running boards, early (small) inside mirror, proper driver's seat, a few others. But it is rewarding when you do acquire one of the less common parts.

I've got most of the missing stuff for my '64 FST now, but some of it wasn't terribly easy to come by. Early (short) running boards, early (small) inside mirror, proper driver's seat, a few others. But it is rewarding when you do acquire one of the less common parts.

I seen your list. Probably have everything on the list. Plus a couple large rear steps which a FST doesn't need. At some point will start selling off parts but that won't happen until I sell the project cruisers first. I wish I had collected a few more early-67 rear frame members. Probably the one thing I wish I had spare of. Can get replacement rear sills and quarter panels but no one makes correct rear frame members. After 67 the reflectors were added and relocated the bumperettes. 68-73 frame members are easier to find.

At this point, I'll probably be happy to use a '68-73 frame member. Better that than the trashed one now on the truck.

Ok it’s one thing to say things are easy to get because you have them, it’s another to know someone is looking for them and not have yours for sale. Just saying as a somewhat frustrated owner in the same search mode as oregon fj.

OP, neither top in pic of rigs look like ‘65’s.

A '65 would have corrugated sides, no corner windows, a bi-fold window and barn doors in back. A pair of short running boards are presently available.

I currently have the original short running boards. I also am going to a soft top on this one since the vin represents a soft top. So the hard top will either be sold or put on the second when ever I get to restoring it. I’ll post my build progress pretty soon.

What on the VIN makes you think it's a FST. Wasn't until the seventies the model could truely be used to tell which model you have. Most were marked FJ40L. Hard top model did not always have the V after the L. Some early soft top make it here with barn doors but once the tub changes to where the side doors were shaped to match the hard top doors don't remember seeing a soft top here with barn doors. All soft top model up to 75 has threaded holes in the side of the cowl for eyebolts for the safety strap.

It was marked FJ40L. I made the assumption that it was a FST. it also had button snaps under the hard top which made me think it had a soft top at one point. With a missing hard top and the button snaps, I assume it was a FST. Is there any other way to know? From the vin it is an early 65.

oem tops didnt use snaps. they used turnbuckles, which wouldn't fit under the top. look for evenly spaced holes in the very top (upright lip) of the rails and, as mentioned, the two holes in the dash for the eyes for the door straps

Don't count on the holes in the dash for the door straps. Some FSTs (like mine) didn't get those for some reason.

Don't count on the holes in the dash for the door straps. Some FSTs (like mine) didn't get those for some reason.
You just confirmed a question i have been trying to reconcile. My truck is a little older than yours 3fj4018399, and it to does not have the holes in the dash. Seems like Mr. Toyota was using whatever they had left in the warehouse in 63. A little old stuff from 62, new stuff for the upcoming 64. They apparently had hardtop cowls laying around so they decided to use them on a FST.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom